Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Much loved Comet Hellcat (Read 29916 times)
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 7:07pm

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

Konrad, Thrilled to see you hear!!!!  Truly.

re Your question, I can only relate my experience with a similar deal. Weather to re-build or replace is a personal question.  I assume  you do know that you can get the plans for free, if you need them.  Parts sheet and all.  Yahoo Comet.  Free to register and download.  Hollar if you need a link.

I have built 5 Guillows series 500 Warhawks.  I enjoy seeing the gain in building skills from one to the next.  Likewise, most folks second attempt is MUCH better than the first.

I recommend that you look very closely at the plane.  Is it really worth the effort to strip a fond memory, or could you build a much better version with the skills gained between then and now. 

I think a plane built with all the improvements, and less rubber,  would look real good next to the one you have.  Again, just my opinion. 

Some folks would say that a major overhaul is the best way to sharpen those repair skills.

Let us know what you decide.  Do you remember what glue was used? That plays a big role in the design.  I mostly use elmers these days. Little bit of steam and she falls apart in your hand.   
Sorry I couldn't help any more than that.

Really great to have you here.

thymekiller

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 6:23pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Konrad1,

I didn't see your repaired balsa, so I assume you stripped the tissue and replaced the stringers????.  I wouldn't reconstruct the fuselage or separate the components of the plane (wing from fuselage etc.).  The stringers look to be in good shape and with the movement of the motor peg up a bay or two you may save some of the nose weight. I would use the knowledge you've gained from this model in your next model construction.  You may find the best model is yet to come.

If you are looking for a really smooth repair, you will have to remove all the curved tissue down to the nearest balsa, stringer or rib etc.  It probably would be wise to add a small amount of 1/32 balsa over the wing to anchor the tissue on the fuselage recovering over the wing. I use glue stick to initially  attach the tissue and shrink with Isopropol Alcohol. Once this is done to my satisfaction, I then add my sealer. Krylon Crystal Clear or Future Acrylic Floor  Polish.  I don't use dope.   I hope this was helpful...let us know how the repairs go.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 5:58pm

Konrad1   Offline

Stick & Tissue
Everett Wa USA

I've learned that if I move the rear motor peg forward I can remove a lot of the nose weight. I'd like to try this improvement with this Comet Hellcat. Despite my many building errors this plane was my best scale rubber band powered ship. I think I often powered her with 8 strands of 1/4 or maybe 12 stands of 3/16" rubber. With all that rubber she climbed like a home sick angel But she like to come back to earth a little too willingly!  I'm hoping that with some braiding of the rubber and the loss of some (a lot) of nose weight I can find the true potential of this model.

IP Logged

Feb 8th, 2012 at 5:50pm

Konrad1   Offline

Stick & Tissue
Everett Wa USA

I'm about to reclaim my Comet 24" Hellcat. My question is how do you folks do these rebuild? Do you break down the ship to the basic parts, i.e.. fuselage, wings, tail and rudder and recover the parts separately. Or can one leave some of the original covering to use to attach the new covering. My concern is that the old covering is curly as a result of 'all' that dope on one side of the tissue. So would the application of thinner relax this curl. Or would I have to add balsa to act as a purchase for the covering.

As you can see the canopy/windscreen is glued to the tissue. And as a result of a building error decades ago the top of the wing doesn't allow the fuselage covering to attach to a stringer.

I'm thinking that I'll have to add some wood under the wing screen and above the wing root. How would you go about the repairs?

I know that some can make a good argument to just start over and correct the building errors like too thick a wing and re-stringer the fuselage with 1.5 mm stringer rather than the 3/32 stringer called out in the kit. With the smaller cross section stringer I could achieve a smoother fuselage contour (more stringers) for the same amount of weight.  Or the converse make a lighter fuselage for the same faceted look.

All the best,
Konrad
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2012 at 11:37pm by Konrad1 »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print