Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bostonian Bostang B51 (Read 23099 times)
Reply #19 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 3:25pm

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

Tempted to try the plastic bottle prop trick. Most of my plane sneed the nose weight any way.

Great job on the nose cone Tom, Looks really good!!!!

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:21pm

Charlieman   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ft. Bragg   CA

Years ago a fellow got tired of molding the balsa blades on the surface of a suitable container, then got the bright idea that the blades could be cut from the container itself. Sour cream tubs proved quite adequate for smaller models, while that water bottle would do for larger. Pepsi plastic jugs bigger still. Cuts out out a lot of work.

I use to make my Unlimited Rubber prop blades from rock hard 1/8 balsa sheet, formed by hand eye under a hot running tap. Used simple jig to insure uiform setting of the brass tube fold bearing epoxied into thin ply doulbers. Used on a Z bar hub assembly so minor pitch changes could be made if desired. I was very happy with the results.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 2:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

A bit more progress on the Bostang....working on prop and spinner.  I made the Spinner out of several discs of balsa cut with my Olfa circle cutter Olfa Compass Circle Cutter Click Here

I then cut one of the disc in quarters for a four bladed prop using the Koutney multi blade scale prop construction method Scale Props by Koutney
I laminate the discs using a T-pin to line up all the discs and then glue the discs to a sanding drum and then put the sanding drum into a hand drill and using varying grades of sandpaper turn it to shape of the spinner.  Finishing the sanding with 320 grit.

I cut out the prop blades from cross grain 1/32 sheet balsa. I coated both sheets of balsa on one side and laminated them together and shaped them on a soda bottle angled at 15 degrees left of center...see picture of the soda bottle and the laminated blades. To clarify the explanation...

Once the blades have dried they will have a curve in them and will be sanded smooth on the edges and rounded and shaped into an airfoil.  I will then mount them on sections of bamboo skewers which will fit into the prop hub.  I plan to plunge mold the spinner over the balsa spinner and then separate the prop hub from the front half of the balsa spinner allowing me to fabricate the freewheeler.  I'll post pictures of this later.

Here's a few pictures

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:27pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Tim....

I made the lettering using MSPaint and just typed the A 4 and 2 in black (72pt for the 4&2 and 48pt for the A) and used the line tool to outline the lettering after magnifying the lettering in the program.  I modified the 2 to a more accurate angular shape using the line tool and the black and red color.  I saved that as a jpeg picture.

I then opened MSWord and inserted that pic into MSWord and adjusted it's size to approximately 1.25 inch just by eyeing it....then I inserted the star and bar insignia from a picture I found on the net, and then pulled the corner enlarging it to approximately 3 inches width (bar to bar edges). 

MSWord allows you to enlarge and shrink pictures that are inserted into the page by grabbing the corner of the picture after inserting and either pulling or pushing at an angle to keep the perspective of the picture. Just don't pull on the top or the side buttons...which will distort the picture.

I then took some glue stick and put a strip of adhesive along the top and 1/4 way down the sides of a sheet of 8.5X11 bond paper and layed a sheet of tissue over sized on the paper and smoothed it out so there were no wrinkles. I let this set for a couple of minutes and then used a steel ruler and single edge razor to trim the tissue to the size of the bond paper...

I let this set till I had the MSWord setup as above and then printed it on the HP inkjet printer (it's a 3 n One) but regular printer will work also.  I then just pealed the tissue off the paper after letting it completely dry.  Then cut out the markings and applied them with gluestick.   

The stripes and wingtips are just colored tissue applied with gluestick over the silver tissue. Bottom applied first then the top so the overlapping edges are covered by the top tissue.

Takes sooooooo much longer to type this out than it does to just do it.  I didn't take any pictures of this process  Embarrassed Cry Tongue Roll Eyes I'll try to remember to document it with pictures next time.  Check out the Tissue and Finish section on this site where there's a section that describes this in detail with pictures by Bick...(just remembered this tutorial) Tongue Shocked Wink Tissue and Finish click here

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 9:18pm

Tim the Inspector   Offline
Vive le vol libre!
At my computer

That looks awesome!  How did you make/attach the markings?

-Tim

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 5:34pm

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

That is just plain COOL!!!!
Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 5:20pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's the latest progress on the Tuskegee Bostang B-51...

Got the markings done...this design "squinches" (technical word) the fuselage and so there's not much room for all the markings...

Got the landing gear done and this is not the spinner but I just wanted to give the nose some shape...still have the prop to complete and the spinner to sand down....it will be red...

Here's the latest pics...
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:35am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Charlieman...

Love the coast area...would love to have a spot in Pacific Grove/Monterey area...while we're dreaming..... Grin Grin Grin

There are lots of open fields outside of town here...still getting aclimated to the area...but no hobby shops here.  A couple of craft stores with rock hard balsa....so I'll have to order some online...

Got a couple of new plans that I'm going to try next...a very stylized F-101 Voodoo pusher and another called the Skydream...so I'll be posting those builds soon.  Gotta do a Widgeon for the HPA Frog Sr. Cookup....

Still working on the Bostang...coming along pretty well, will post pictures soon....

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 6:13pm

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

Haven't seen the new movie, but saw the first one.
My research shows that hollywood sugar coated what those boys went thru.

Rodgers?   Good to know I'm not the only hillbilly on this board. Grin Grin  Odd how we move around in life.  I know some who have NEVER moved, and I cant imagine that. Not saying there's anything wrong with staying put, just saying it's not for me.

I think most cities are closer to bankruptcy than we know.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 1:01pm

Charlieman   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ft. Bragg   CA

If that's the HBO movie it pretty good/much better than the new one. At least in the acting. And they did use P-51D for EVERYTHING (P-40's P-51B and wait for it... P-51D's!).
Of interest check out the plywood cut outs used to "flesh out" the airbase scenes. to me they appear to be blow ups of a rather infmous 3-view.

Wish you well in your new local. Should be lots of FF fields not too far from you. We used to live in Rogers AR.

We moved here to Ft. Bragg, CA about 3 years ago, from Visalia CA. Don't miss the valley heat in summer, but all three FF fields available to me have Hwy 1 to the East and the wide Pacific on the other. Fortunately prevailing wind is usually onshore! There is pretty active FF group about 3 hrs South.
All the best!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 10:10am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Charlieman....

Just found the 1st Movie about the Tuskegee Airmen at Wally World in the $5.00 bin...it's showed the plight of these extraodinary men and their uphill battle to become the outstanding fighter pilots they were/are....

My move to Texarkana, TX was to assist my wife's mother after the passing of her husband (my wife's stepfather) last March...she wasn't doing well living alone. So here we are...although we've heard that things in Stockton are not good at this time....too bad Shocked 

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:57am

Charlieman   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ft. Bragg   CA

IMHO Your "tribute" is every bit as realistic as the mock ups and CG aircraft in the recent film!!!

You are winning me over. Cool project.

BTW- you have moved? Would city of Stockton  on the brink of backruptsy have influenced your decision?? My fear is that the the economic situation everywhere is worse than we want to let ourselves believe.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 10:17pm

Tim the Inspector   Offline
Vive le vol libre!
At my computer

I really like that little fella.  You're quickly convincing me that I need one too!

-Tim

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 8:31pm

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

It is a cute little thing. Nice work Tom.
Keep em' coming!!!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 1:24am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Got some tissue on the bones....my tribute to the TUSKEEGEE AIRMEN...a Red Tail...

The white stuff at the base of the windscreen is white glue...I use this to fix the glazing on the canopy...when it dries it's clear...

My Bostang B-51 is coming along...still have to add the stripes on the wings and red wingtips, landing gear for the paper tubes that are already glued into the wings and tail section... spinner and prop and then a few panel lines and she'll be finished....already planning the second one in Olive drab and Invasion stripes for the other Fetchermite when we go back to visit them in June...

Here's the pics so far...

Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print