Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old Wakefields (Read 3629 times)
Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 8:16pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

If you haven't checked out the Old Wakefields site I encourage you to check out the newsletters as well...

Found this in one of the newsletter...it well describes the joy of FreeFlight! Smiley

http://www.oldwakefields.com/media/411b8df22fbd62e7ffff80abffffe907.pdf

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 8:24pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I may have spoken before engaging brain...you have seen the plans!  This thing is gigantic and I'm with you re: the reed looks good to me.  The hardware of the propshaft and freewheeler is quite a deal.  I've sence looked at the other plans on the site and plans for all the pictured Wakefields or most of them are available there.  I've downloaded several and will be looking at them also.  I love the streamliner "The Champ" lines.  Very cool looking but really complex build.  I'm thinking I need simple before complex following the Thunderjet.

So we'll see.  There's a nice twin tail that looks attractive and very simple stick fuselage with flat sides that looks pretty good.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 6:27pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Tom, Thanks for posting that. Very cool indeed!!
That plane has alot of interesting features. I like the tail arrangement. The way it attaches would make loading rubber alot easier than most scale planes. 

I think the ribs would be quite a challenge, but the airfoil shape looks very good.

I am thinking that I would do the formers a bit different, much like the reed technique you have used so well.
On the other hand, the way they are drawn looks pretty solid.

I noticed a bobbin on the prop shaft. That's a first for me. The plans don't show it, but I have to wonder if a bobbin at the rear would also be used?
That's the first time I have seen that particular clutch setup. I like it.

I have never had any luck with paper tubes. At that size, I would go with aluminum.

Overall, I gotta give that plane a gigantic 2 thumbs up for both looks and engineering.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 4:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I hear that!

I love those streamlined wakefields... Gonna have to look into that. Smiley

For those who are interested I found the plans for Robert Coplands 1936 Streamliner apparently called "The Champ" on the Plan Page here: http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2305/champ_files/champ.pdf

I'm thinking seriously about this for the next model...even if I have to go 1/2 size...

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 1:35pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

LOLOL
We all know the pain. So many planes, so little time.   Cry

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 1:00pm

TJH   Offline
It's not rocket surgery...or
is it?
Central Pennsylvania

OK, now I got the bug to build something bigger than a peanut. The problem is that there are other projects that will need to be done before this, so I will have to suffer as it will be a while before I can treat the symptoms Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 10:21am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WARNING....CLICKING ON THE ABOVE LINK CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR MENTAL WELL BEING!

You might become infected and the only cure that has been found is the building of at least one Wakefield...but often requires the building of at least two and following the builds a number of postings on several stick and tissue sites to releave the symtoms and the addiction of such models.  Calling the Dr. has been found to be of no assistance.  Building and flying these models is the only relief.  This is not a curable disease the symptoms can only be treated and they subside only for a while before displaying themselves again in a recurring manner.

If you force yourselve to not look at the pictures of Wakefields for several days the disease does lessen in intensity but does not completely subside. 
Go ahead, look at the pictures. I dare you!

OK, If you've come this far you are hooked!  You will have to build a Wakefied sometime in the future.  You are not immune! 

Which one tickles your fancy?  Bet you can't choose just one!

Thanks Ambraske for sharing the link!

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 9:22am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

VERY COOL!!!!
Thanks for posting that.

Nah, you dont need help. Just build another and you will be fine..... Grin Grin

IP Logged

Nov 11th, 2012 at 1:29am

Ambraske   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

I stumbled upon this site earlier today: http://www.oldwakefields.com/23621.html
There's something magical about these Wakefields, I can watch them for hours on end and never get tired of it... Should I seek professional help now?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print