Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To Repair Or Not To Repair...That Is The Question (Read 3005 times)
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 11:43pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Kittyfritters wrote on Jun 3rd, 2013 at 11:39pm:
Tom,

Give you an idea of how much that Fairchild has faded...the struts, pants and nose block were originally painted to match the tissue!  Oddly enough, the yellow tissue doesn't fade that much.

Howard

You were reading my mind. See my edit of my last post! How about posting some of you oldest models in the new thread down in the Hangers area. 

I have hope that some of my models may make it to nine years.  Absolutely amazing.  thanks again for sharing.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 11:39pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Tom,

Give you an idea of how much that Fairchild has faded...the struts, pants and nose block were originally painted to match the tissue!  Oddly enough, the yellow tissue doesn't fade that much.

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 11:19pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Boy,

I thought my fetchermites had done a number on my models....

I must say that the Fairchild 24 has a special place in my heart, I just love the lines of that bird and the landing gear struts give her so much character.  I'd love to see her restored.  But I recognize the time involved. 

The rest seem like they will be back in the air very quickly.  A little glue and you'll be back in the air in no time.

Thanks for sharing these repairs with us.  I don't have any models that are nine years old. That's an accomplishment in itself.  I'm sure some of our more experienced modelers have some bird that are that old or maybe older. 

Edit: It might be interesting to start a thread, "Show us your oldest models!"
I've been inspired to make the new board to post pics of your oldest models.  Kittyfritters inspired this and also a picture I saw of a model hanging in the AMA museum of a Stick & Tissue model that was 40+ years old in a between the wars blue and yellow scheme but the tissue had faded out so that the blue was transparent and the yellow was barely visible.
Good luck on the repairs and next flights.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Jun 3rd, 2013 at 7:02pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Between all the prototyping that I am doing, I am running out of things to fly outdoors just for fun. 

My venerable B-52 cat glider has suffered the over enthusiastic recovery efforts of my grandson.  Repairing that will take a ten minutes to replace a couple of engine pylons and re-balance.  Other models will take a bit more time and effort

My Comet #3204, P-51A, needs a new wing after a handling mishap.  This one flies quite well and is definitely worth doing but takes a bit of time to cover right with the tissue I used.

I started to rebuild it but the new wing suffered another handling accident and although it looks salvageable it is broken in the center section and I should do it again. this time with the usual second spar that I add to this series Comet kit.

My nine year old captured Spitfire had it's wing broken in a crash.  I rebuilt and re-covered it and decided to make sure it was flying well before taking an airbrush to it.  It was actually flying better than new but on the last test flight impaled it self on a bush.

It may take more time than it's worth, but I'll probably make the time to do it since it is such a conversation piece.

My Guillow's, 700 series, Fairchild 24, also nine years old, is simply falling apart.  The blue tissue on the fuselage is fading and has become so fragile that it's doesn't take much impact to poke a hole in it.  Everyone who flies rubber has to have one of these since they are such reliable fliers, but I think that the effort required to disassemble this one and recover it would probably about equal to building one of the new laser cut versions.

Since the new laser cut one would probably be lighter, I may just salvage the Gizmo Geezer front end and build a new one.

I was flying one of my prototype Guillow's Beavers and a prototype Guillow's Porter at WESTFAC.  The Beaver I have nicknamed the "Downdraft Finder" since it seems that any time there is a downdraft around it will fly into it.  That day was no exception and embarrassingly enough it got slammed into the ground right in front of everyone. 

It's a rugged little beast and will glue back together without too much effort, but I have a production version, on floats, partially finished, that I also have to find time for.

The Porter was not flying too well that day, but the only damage it got was a split in the top fuselage covering.  The damage to the nose was because I squeezed too hard while picking it up.  (Actually, I was a little frustrated that nothing I had was flying well and I guess I took it out on the Porter.)

The repairs on that are already done, except for the covering, and I will be doing lots of covering this week so it will be flying, again, by this weekend.

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print