Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Comet Dimer Cook-up "Swift" (Read 19169 times)
Reply #49 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 11:53am

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Mitch,

That's great news.  There is nothing like that feeling of these things taking flight, it's awesome, wish I was there to see it.  Hope the wing repairs are easy.  You might report back about what part of the joints actually failed: the cohesion of the glue, adhesion of the glue, wood or tissue parted, etc.  Close inspection may be very telling and maybe impart some knowledge on how to repair best or how to construct next time for more durability. 

The Silicon paste I use to lube seems to last about a week.  Over that and I will re-lube before flying again.  I'm sure other lube materials will last different lengths of time.  I feel the motor between my fingers for how slippery it is and look at how shiny it is to decide if it's needed.  I hope others more experienced than I may have something to say here because I don't think my motors are lasting as long as others have reported either because of my lube or winding technique.  I replace when I start seeing small tears in the edges of the rubber.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 9:42am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mitch, you are just teasing me with the talk, kinda like me on the kid Grin part. l cannot wait to see the photos Wink great job Smileyof getting to fly that beautiful Globe.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 5:22am

mitch j   Offline
growing old-no choice,growing
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

Gday all;
It was a beautiful,windless morning today so I took the Swift down to the local school oval for its maiden flight. After adding a heap of nose weight to counter-act some really bad stalling, IT ACTUALLY FLEW!!! Nothing great by you guys standards but eventually it was doing a few big circles & some nice longish glides.(I'm glad no-one was watching-they would have seen a grown man giggling like a little kid as he chased after his toys!) I was actually quite impressed at how sturdy it is. After a few big nose dives here & there,eventually the wing(s) fell off.Nothing broken,just the glue let go.I cant wait to get out & try again! I tried taking some pics but all I got was photos of lovely blue sky! Next time I'll have to drag my wife out with me to take the pics!
I also took the Phantom flash to try as well but after a few promising throws,a wing broke so that was the end of that! So once I get a few repairs done I'll give 'em another go! Cant wait! I've been building these things for nearly a year now so its good to be finally able to have a serious go at flying them-good stuff!!
Terryman,you said before about lube lasting several days-does this mean I need to keep re-lubing my rubber on a regular basis for the life of the motor?

Cheers for now!!

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:22am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mitch, l ran across a Swift 3 view that l thought is pretty good. lt is too big to post, but thought that you would like to take a look at.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #45 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 1:06pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

MItch,

On the Aeroneer for outdoor flying with 5.5" or 6" prop I have been using a single 14" loop of 1/8" wide rubber for the hook to peg distance of 7".  It's made up of single strand about 30" knotted to form one loop (2 extra inches for the knot and short tails).  That means there is 7" of slack in the fuesalage.  I tie a bit of string or yarn around the hook end to keep it from coming off the hook.  For the equivalent torque on a 3/32" motor I suspect the loop length might be 10.5" .  I don't recommend a double loop for you, at least until you are really comfortable with the stability of the Swift for it to handle the extra torque.

I have been using a light coat of silicone paste as a lube, applied while I am breaking in the motor.  One application lasts several days.

I have not had much luck braiding motors to shorten their resting length.  I assume this is the "twisting" you inquired about. That would prevent all the slack resulting from a motor longer than the hook to peg distance and the in-flight imbalance that can occur when the slack ends up falling in different positions when the motor runs all the way down. 

Terry

img_4845.jpg (76 KB | )
img_4845.jpg
img_4847.jpg (59 KB | )
img_4847.jpg
img_4846.jpg (80 KB | )
img_4846.jpg
img_4848.jpg (77 KB | )
img_4848.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:11am

mitch j   Offline
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

G'day all;
Got my rubber today-now I need to know what to do with it! Its 3/32 Hanger Rat if that helps. Do I just make a big rubber band the length from hook to peg,or longer as terryman suggested,do I double the length so it is a double loop(or 3 for a triple loop),if I use more than 1 loop do I need to twist them together first? Am I supposed to lube them first-if so with what? Will I need to secure it to the hook if I use more than 1 loop? There is probably more I havent thought of (maybe I'm just over thinking it!)-any advice would be great!

(P.S. In case there are any aussies hiding out there looking for rubber & other s&t stuff,I got it from Peter at pelaero.com.au )

Cheers for now!

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 2:30pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mitch...absolutely beautiful job on the swift.  Looking forward to flying pics...
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 12:48pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Mitch,

The canopy, and the whole a/c, are beautiful  Smiley.  The tissue strips worked great for you!  Hope you get some in flight photo's when the rubber shows up.

I've been having good luck using 1/8" loop of F.A.I tan super sport,  or 2 loops (4 strands) of 1/16".  Loop length 1.5 to 2 times the peg to prop hook distance.   Flies several 10's of feet starting with 100-150  turns, though struggling with trimming at over 500 turns.  This is for outdoor flying.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 10:09am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mitch: you can send the Globe to me l have plenty of FAI tan and would love to give her a flight. Seriously your Swift looks great and l cannot wait to see the flight photos.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:08am

mitch j   Offline
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

G'day all;
The Globe Swift is basically finished! I tried to post a few mock-up pics the other day but my computer didnt want to. At the moment the plane has an old Guillows rubber band in it just to keep it all together. My new rubber should be here in a couple of days,then I can play! It balances ok & "bedroom glides" look promising.
Terryman,I happened to do the canopy strips virtually exactly as you described-worked well!
The good thing about using the pins to get the canopy parts right before gluing was that I could use the same holes when I did glue them-no smearing glue around trying to line things up. (The strips also covered up the pin holes!)
Between the canopy & the "tissue between stringers" method,I recon I learned a bit from this build-more to learn when my rubber gets here!
Hopefully some flight reports soon if the weather is kind to me!!

Cheers!!

DSCF2029.JPG (390 KB | )
DSCF2029.JPG
DSCF2030.JPG (376 KB | )
DSCF2030.JPG
DSCF2031.JPG (372 KB | )
DSCF2031.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 4:47pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Mitch,

Canopy looks very nice.  Pinning it looks like a good way to prevent the glue from smearing so much vs. taping or just holding with fingers.  I don't think the tissue strips are originally my idea but works great.  I have also used painted printer paper which gives even more stand off from the clear panels and hides irregularities even better because of the extra stiffness.

Maybe you already know the glue stick trick.  Cut the strip long with scissors or sharp razor blade, test fit and cut to length.  Then turn upside down on scrap paper and apply the glue stick .  Peel off with tweezers and apply to the Canopy.

The picture is one with printer paper, cut, painted aluminum, and glue sticked on.   It's on a slightly bigger model, 20" wing span.

Terry

img_4834.jpg (86 KB | )
img_4834.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 10:00am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mitch: thanks for showing me how l will need to attach my canopy. Love the color you picked for your SWIFT and l know you and everyone else will be able to see her in flight.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 4:24am

mitch j   Offline
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

G'day all;

Slowly but surely I'm getting more done on the Swift. This build seems to be taking ages! A few pics-the first couple show the fuse half covered, (I stopped because of the really high humidity-the wrinkles dont really show in the pics),& some baking paper I was using to make templates for the glass.I have found the baking paper is good because I can see through it to trace,& the natural curl off the roll makes it sort of conform to the shape of the fuse.
The next pics show the tissue finished (23 pieces!) with the first 2 windows glued & pinned in place.Fingers crossed when the pins come out! I will have a go at Terrymans tissue strips on the joints-good idea mate!
I am quite happy how the tissue turned out considering how many curves there are in the fuse-I dont think it will be the last time I use the "tissue strips between stringers"method.
More pics soon!

Cheers!!

DSCF2008.JPG (396 KB | )
DSCF2008.JPG
DSCF2012.JPG (381 KB | )
DSCF2012.JPG
DSCF2018.JPG (383 KB | )
DSCF2018.JPG
DSCF2019.JPG (383 KB | )
DSCF2019.JPG
DSCF2020.JPG (377 KB | )
DSCF2020.JPG
DSCF2021.JPG (378 KB | )
DSCF2021.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 8:13pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mitch: l found another Globe Swift video for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2dN9pDG7YA

Tom: l tride your flash difuser (Puffs Plus tissue) and it works pretty good.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 7:43pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Old photographer's trick.  Another trick is to use opaque paper and deflect it to the ceiling.  Most are white so that softens the flash too.  But if it's colored it'll reflect that color to whatever you are photographing.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print