Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making Paper Tubes for Various Modeling Needs (Read 6480 times)
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 7:23am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Sky, I was able to get the fiberglass to work. Liberal coating of mold release wax. Although it is a tedious affair it did come out pretty decent (although mesh is out of scale somewhat) and I am not sure of what use it could be used for?! Going to try some silk I have and see how it come out. Also cutting this stuff a person should use a Dremel with cutoff wheels.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 12:58am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Fantastic!   Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 8:54pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

I turned a bunch of aluminum round stock into a assortment of sizes,polished em up and wax the dowels then roll the tissue paper. So far the CA hasnt stuck yet,I might try some fiberglass matting and dowels coated with release agent just to see if it can be done. Or silk cloth maybe?

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 11:19am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Usually the cya and white glue don't mix.  I have found that the white glue when nuked in the microwave for 10 seconds becomes very hard.  Tissue being more porous might glue to the form

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 6:24am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

I use the Tamiya Xtra thin CA to harden up the tubes (paper). Kinda brush it on and it wicks around and hardens up.Havent tried it yet but I wonder if white glue mix would work the same? I use CA sparingly now due to 25+ yrs of it tearing up my sinus's..lol. Wish I could get all my CA's in odorless. Cry

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 12:16am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

That should give you a very light tube Gunny!  I'll have to give that a try myself.  Remember you only need to wrap the paper/tissue around the form just enough to give you the tube for the purpose you desire.  Thicker for stronger tubes, thinner for more detail work that doesn't require strength!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:03am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Got the technique down pat Sky. Have moved onto trying out tissue paper tubes now.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 3:00pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

yep...you have to get one complete roll on the toothpick or what you use for the tube base mold.  I use bamboo skewers a lot for removable landing gear struts etc.  A quick zap in the microwave and waa-laa! a nice paper tube.  If you roll it on a bit of an angle you can get a tapered end that works for cannon fairing etc.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 1:48pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Yep i remembered the troughs later that day. I tried a few toothpick rolls and I glued em to the pick somehow

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 4:30pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Gunny...you can see in my past builds where I've used these paper tubes set in balsa blocks for removable gear struts (the Dornier 335 build), The Bostang build in the Bostonian section, The gun troughs in the Bf-109E3 build etc.
I've also used them for socket for the prop blades on the P-51H Koutny build several years ago.  Once the tube is dried in microwave for 20 or 30 seconds it becomes very stiff almost as firm as tubing. 

You can also cut rings for the instrument panel and once the dials are drawn place the ring around the dial and fill with white glue for a lens.  It'll dry clear and look like a clear lense. Just paint the ring silver or brass before gluing it around the instrument dial.
Sky9pilot
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2016 at 11:24am by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 1:30pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Tom, do you have a pic of anything you use the paper tubes on? I have heard of people using them but cant really say I have ever been able to notice it used on anything  or wherd it was specifically pointed out. It might be a good alt instead of using metal or styrene.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 1:21pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's several tubes cut to various sizes.  You can cut tubes, or rings for different needs.

Hope this will be helpful.

For WWI guns like the Vickers, Spandau, Lewis, Parabellum:  These tubes can be used for barrels and cooling jackets.  You just set the size and weight of the tubes by the number of wraps around the forms.

A similar process for detailing gear struts etc. is using thin strips of paper and white glue and wrapping it around the strut or part where you want a raised rib or edge to set off the structure.

Enjoy,
Tom
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2014 at 3:39pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Apr 15th, 2014 at 1:12pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Hi Y'all,

Here's a short tutorial on making paper tubes for S&T Models.  This was learned on the HPA Koutney Cookup a while back.

What do you need these tubes for? You might ask?  Thanks for asking!

1. Landing gear socket in wings and fuselages for removable landing gear.
2. Sockets in prop hubs for multi-bladed props
3. Landing gear strut detailing- enlarging the struts, adding ribs on struts for denoting telescoping tubes.
4. Various cylinders, rings, etc. for detailing models
5. Gun barrels and cooling rings/cylinders

What tools and materials do you need for making these tubes?  Here ya go:
    1. White glue
    2. Paper- regular bond paper/copier paper
    3. forms- toothpicks, bamboo skewers, pencils, other size cylinders
    4. Single edge razor blade for trimming paper tubes
Optional - Microwave oven

To get started assemble all your tools and materials for the size of the tube you'll require.

Now we start the rolling process.  Before any glue is applied roll the paper over the form (toothpick, pencil, skewer, bottle etc) to start curving the paper.  Once the paper starts to curl, go to the edge and roll it tightly over the form sever time just the leading edge of the paper.  Once it starts to conform to the form roll one complete roll of paper on the form.  It needs one complete roll around the form before you start gluing.  You don't want to stick the paper to the form.  Believe me it's easy to stick the paper to the form if you don't!  Don't ask me how I know!! Embarrassed

Keeping the wrapping tight you now begin to add glue.  You can put a bead of glue right in the bottom of the wrap and extended paper.  You can also spread glue on the paper a bit ahead of the roll. 

Keep wrapping the paper around the form till you reach the end of the paper, adding glue as needed.

Once you've completed the wrap it'll look something like this:
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/Sky9pilot/Making%20Paper%20Tubes/Starti...[/url]

Now you can wait for the glue to cure or you can use the optional tool...the microwave oven.  10 to 15 seconds.  This will cure the water out of the glue and firm up the tube very quickly.  Be careful it will be hot to the touch. 
CAUTION IF YOU USE A PENCIL REMOVE THE METAL END WITH ERASER BEFORE PLACING IN MICROWAVE!

Now you're ready to trim the tube to the size needed.  Using the single edge razor, roll the tube form on a flat surface under the edge of the razor with gentle pressure.  Several times around the form will cut the tube with a nice edge and will allow you to slide this portion of the tube off the form.  Just measure the size needed and cut to size.

Here's my finished tubes on their forms ready for cutting.

I cut several tube to illustrate how they look.  Always cut on the form or you'll crush the tube.  These tube can be hardened inside with thin CYA wicked down the inside after removal from form. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print