HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Irish Jumping Bean (Read 14371 times)
Reply #34 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 9:21pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

OK,  My Bad! I retract my last post.  I now have three Bostonians on the building board, the definitive Irish Jumping Bean (Which will retain that name.), a new triple tailed model that is the Bostillation, and my biplane, the Beanburg DI.  It's going to be tight but I want to have all three done to test fly at the O.F.F.C. session next Wednesday.

I flew the Mk2 Irish Jumping Bean at the O.F.F.C. Bostonian contest last Wednesday.  Warmed it up with a couple of easy 40 second plus flight and then wound for the ceiling.  Unfortunately, it got to the ceiling and stayed there.  Two years ago, before the Parks Department replaced the flush florescent fixtures with hanging halogen lights, this would have been a winning flight. It circled just below the ceiling for 38 seconds until it hit one of the halogens straight on.  It recovered but then tangled with one of the basket ball back stops on the way down.  I thought I had repaired the damage but it lost its turn and my remaining flights were long enough to be official but ended in impacts with the walls.  As one of the guys that broke a motor said, "I needed to back off one less turn. Undecided

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 2:25pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

By popular request, the definitive version of my three tailed Bostonian, the "Irish Jumping Bean", has been renamed "Bostillation".  I also have prototype of a biplane Bostonian that is named the Beanburg DI.  O.F.F.C. Bostonian contest next Wednesday.  More in another thread.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 7:47pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

KF, love that you seem to have all of your a/c trained to land at your feet Wink Great Job Smiley

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 7:17pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Still working on the Mk III version plans.  It has features of both of the prototypes I have been flying so far.  I am planning to kit it for November release.  (I hope.)

Here is a video of me flying the original one for practice with the Sony action cam.

https://youtu.be/nwHe0P0YbdY

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 12:49pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Where would the plans be located at for the Jumping Bean? That thing really looks nice.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 12:14pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Knew you could do it!!! Smiley
Nice little jumping bean!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 10:21am

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Turns out that the fix was simple...more decalage!  This wing requires twice the incidence of the previous version. 

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 4:40pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Despite the initial promise, the Mk2 Jumping Bean is turning out to be problematical.  Put a drag tab on this wing to make it turn and it almost refuses to fly.  The way it opens up the turn when the motor winds down I think it actually needs the third tail, and with thrust line adjustments to keep the turn tight in the room the R.O.G. takeoffs are hairier than the narrow tread landing gear version.  I know that I will work it out but this is one of those simple designs that turns into a head scratcher.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - May 8th, 2015 at 4:55pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Glad to hear the Jumping Bean is progressing.  She looks good.  Are you using the purple glue stick?  Don't know but that might be the culprit as it's suppose to dry clear something in the chemical process may be reacting with the tissue.  Just a thought! Grin Wink

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #25 - May 8th, 2015 at 3:10pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The Mk2 version of the Jumping Bean finally got built.  There have been several changes.  The third tail was eliminated and the motor peg has been moved up a bay.  The profile of the fuselage has been changed to re-locate the thrust line and the landing gear is longer and has a wider tread so that the R.O.G. launches, with a tight turn cranked in, are not so hairy.  I am also using a six-inch Peck prop from my carefully guarded stash.  (Word is that Peck is back in business under new ownership.  Can't wait till they start molding those props again.)

The biggest change has been the wing which has the laser cut, 3-inch, "generic ribs", that I designed for Dave Gee.  It is also now removable being held on by a rubber band.  I used a couple of 1/16" aluminum tubes as the wing anchors.  Some of the more experienced indoor types, (I've only been flying indoors for 5 years.) asked why I didn't use carbon fiber tubes.  The simple reason was that I didn't have any.  Several of them have also been using carbon fiber tubes as motor pegs...half the weight of aluminum.

The first flights have shown more promise than the original Jumping Bean's first flights and I will get a chance to wring it out some more tonight at the Black Sheep second Friday of the month session.  One odd thing that you can see, in the picture, is that the domestic tissue I used for the orange sections of the airframe (I ran out of orange Isaki.) reacted with the glue stick turning red at the points of contact.  I have always checked domestic tissue for color fastness with water and alcohol, but now I will have to check it with glue stick also.

Believe it or not, I've redesigned it again!  I decided that there were some structural issues with the fuselage and I eliminated those as well as including some building features in case I decided to kit this as well as any other box fuselage models...but that is for an entirely different post...

IP Logged

Reply #24 - May 2nd, 2015 at 1:35am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Kittyfritters wrote on May 1st, 2015 at 9:30pm:
" Getting old ain't for sissies."

Boy ain't that the truth.  Sorry to hear about the accidental crunch.  Glad to hear she's rebuildable!  Hang in there buddy!

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #23 - May 1st, 2015 at 9:58pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

KF, I unfortunately know what you mean. My left hand locks up at times. Sorry for the damage, but I am glad to hear you have a good outlook and will be watching to see the Bostonian take flight again.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2015 at 9:30pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

So,I was working on my Mk2 version of the Irish Jumping Bean with a few redesign features when I had a medication induced hand cramp.  I felt it coming on in time to swear but not enough time to let the fuselage go.  Fortunately it is rebuildable and I'm only on the meds for another day.  As my Dad used to say, " Getting old ain't for sissies."

Cramps.JPG (132 KB | )
Cramps.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 12:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW...these guys really know what they're doing. That blows me away that they were that accurate and down to tenths of a second for placement!   Shocked

You did amazing with a basically a model built for indoor flying.  I say well done! Smiley
Guess we could learn a lot from those guys!!!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 11:47am

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Sky9pilot wrote on Jun 11th, 2014 at 9:15pm:
Congrats...that's a great little plane! Smiley
Tom

Tom,

Think about it...I flew 0.4 seconds off my predicted flight time and it was only good enough for 3rd place in an outdoor contest for rubber powered models.  Rules stated that each contestant had to announce the predicted time before launching the model, the minimum time for an official flight was 15 seconds and each contestant could have four flights.  The winner had an exact flight time (Two people timing.) and second place was 0.1 seconds off.   I was told that this was the first time ever that the contest had an exact flight time, but usually the winner has never been more than 0.2 seconds off the mark.  Let's you know how good some of these old guys are at getting their models dialed in.  Wink

Howard

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print