Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Knives for carving props (Read 3426 times)
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:15pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's a link right to Volare/Shorty's Basement: Knife Sharpener Click Here
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2019 at 1:03am by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 12:38pm

shipwreck   Offline
Navy Vet
Medina Ohio

I am a straight razor shaver and sharpening is not a problem for me. I use a leather strap on my carving tools to keep a sharp edge on them and also use news paper as well. Unless you get a Nick in your blade you should only have to hone once in awhile.
News paper on a flat surface works well. I learned that from a good friend of mine.
Paul

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 6:25am

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Warhawk wrote on Jan 26th, 2015 at 6:32pm:
Bad news and good news:  Sharpening knife blades is an art that some of us may never master.  I have an Edger, which works well with the #11 blades, but doesn't do other sizes.  The good news for us unskilled - there are a number of kitchen knife sharpeners that WILL work with the larger blades.  Check them out, and pick one that you like!

Justin

To quote one of our past, fearless leaders, "I feel your pain".

Shorty's Basement is not the only place to find something like this, but it is one place you can. You may already have found something that works for you, but this is the easiest sharpener to use that I have found yet. Works well with everything I've tried except razor blades. Give it a try if you haven't already.  Smiley

http://s297.photobucket.com/user/bigrip74/media/001-91.jpg.html

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 6:32pm

Warhawk   Offline

Stick & Tissue
Moses Lake, WA

Bad news and good news:  Sharpening knife blades is an art that some of us may never master.  I have an Edger, which works well with the #11 blades, but doesn't do other sizes.  The good news for us unskilled - there are a number of kitchen knife sharpeners that WILL work with the larger blades.  Check them out, and pick one that you like!

Justin

Justin
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2014 at 4:32pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I have a long xacto blade like David and pocket knife and honing stone.  I usually use sanding blocks/dowels  for the concave portions of the blade backside, or usually leave it flat.  I've just acquired a scroll saw that I hope to use to cut out the block to beginning shape.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2014 at 3:40pm

mitch j   Offline
growing old-no choice,growing
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

Thanks cd, I didnt realise longer X-acto blades were available! I've tried a small pocket knife but as you say, keeping them razor sharp is my issue too. (might need to brush up on my knife sharpening skills!!)

Cheers mate!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 18th, 2014 at 10:14pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Mitch, for what it's worth, these are the extent of my prop carving toolbox - of course, I've only carved two so far.

The X-acto blade is a #26 blade and does a pretty good job right out of the package. I do almost everything with it, except the hollowing on the back side of the blades. That's where the gouge pictured comes in handy.

I'd say my worst problem with either tool is being proficient in keeping them razor sharp. I've always struggled with sharpening tools, and my woes continue! When I do manage to get a good edge on them, they do an excellent job.

IP Logged

May 18th, 2014 at 6:25pm

mitch j   Offline
growing old-no choice,growing
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

G'day all;
Just wondering what sort of knife is best for carving props. My Xacto is ok for smaller props but I carved a blank of cc's 13" one & I reccon it's going to be hard to do the rest with it. Any advice would be great!
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2019 at 1:04am by Sky9pilot »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print