Send Topic Print
Any Twin Cookup (Read 90193 times)
Reply #229 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 8:59pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Jim,

Feel free to post some pics and videos on the Events board.... We'd love to see them!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #228 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 7:57pm

JimM   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

>I guess most are/were at Geneseo (GGG)

Well, some were. I can send report/photos; anyone interested pls contact me at [email protected]

IP Logged

Reply #227 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 10:26am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Pete...
(Very low participation on the various Forums.  I guess most are/were at Geneseo (GGG) or finally have some flying weather?)

I think you've nailed the low participation situation. 

I'm not able to work on the models with some house maintenance issues  and my visiting 86 year old Mother visiting from So. Carolina.  So building will have to take a back seat for a bit.

You're making great progress on the 75% Rutango.  I really appreciate your experimenting which allows me to build with your insights incorporated into my build.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #226 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 5:10am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Prop assemblies are complete and work the right ways (I think - things get complicated when one unit has to work "bassackwards").  If the wind dies down by this evening, I should get a test or three with the stick fuselage.  Rubber motors will be a ~10" loop of 3/32nd Tan SS per side - hook-to-peg is 7".

I'm still undecided about a landing gear...  The model looks cool with the wheels, but weight and drag are BIG un-incentives.  A plug-in system is an alternative, but adds even more weight by means of the needed supporting structure.

I'm up to 23 grams with the fuselage still to cover.  Landing gear will add at least 2 grams and the covering/doping another 3-5 grams.  Any other decorations will up the tally Undecided.  Going by the RoT of 0.5gm/inch˛, I'm still well within the "limit", especially if one counts the area of the canard which is a load carrying surface.

Let me get the beast flying first...

Very low participation on the various Forums.  I guess most are/were at Geneseo (GGG) or finally have some flying weather?

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #225 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 9:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Keep us posted on your progress with the bones fuselage glides ...Pete!

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #224 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 3:40pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Nason clutches glued on the props (hope I got them on the right way!), and finishing up the prop plugs (nose plugs).  Glueing (epoxy) a 3mm tube without gumming up the works was not that easy.  As soon as the dope (banana oil) dries on the plugs, I'll mount the props.

Since I use "O" rings on small motors, I won't be incorporating a winding hook on the prop shaft - it'll be tricky enough winding over the canard without a prop in the way.  I hope to get a few test "flights" with the skeleton fuselage within the next day or two.

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #223 - Sep 20th, 2014 at 7:47am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

One thing I came to realize  Roll Eyes, is that the canard cannot be simply slid into the slot like the profile planes.  The fuselage and canard are compound shapes requiring that the slot be at least 3/16ths wide (and mine is a TIGHT fit already).  Easy to remedy by cutting the carry-through down the middle with a compound line that automatically realigns when rejoined.  A cross-brace or two in the fuselage, flush with the slot bottom will keep the unit on an even keel.

The fuselage with top deck and the wing "slotted" in place:...

DSCF6114.jpg (112 KB | )
DSCF6114.jpg
DSCF6115.jpg (112 KB | )
DSCF6115.jpg
DSCF6116.jpg (60 KB | )
DSCF6116.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #222 - Sep 20th, 2014 at 7:33am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Photos of the prop clutches (Nason type freewheel), and the tongue-and-groove wing mount.  The wing mount looks, and IS, cobbled up as I did the thing as I went along - essentially "in the air".  I canted the "groove former" forward a bit to give me some wiggle room in the event that more or less incidence might be required.

For some reason, a couple of the photos are a bit out of focus - probably bumped the tripod or didn't get my hands off the camera fast enough after pressing the release (about 0.5 seconds from "press" till the auto focus kicks in).

DSCF6112.jpg (111 KB | )
DSCF6112.jpg
DSCF6111.jpg (108 KB | )
DSCF6111.jpg
DSCF6110.jpg (100 KB | )
DSCF6110.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #221 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 9:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Upon the insight gleaned from Pete's experimentation I modified the fuselage wing saddle area to be parallel to the datum line from the plans.  I set the saddle at zero incidence so the main wing will be at zero incidence as apposed to the canard at around 3 degrees positive incidence.

I have two pictures showing my modifications one with lines showing change and one without the lines to see the bones more clearly.

Tom
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2014 at 3:36pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #220 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 8:38pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

GREAT WORK Smiley PETE:  cannot wait to see this one finished and flying.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #219 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 6:55pm

Don McLellan   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Hi Tom,

More very good progress on you Rutango.  It looks great.

One thing you might want to consider is sheeting in the the first bay, on the bottom of the nacelles.  That is where mine broke (actually a couple of times) when is lawn darted in.  I think the prop catches the ground and transfers the impact load to the bottom of the nacelle. 

Don

IP Logged

Reply #218 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:09pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

That would be killer!!! Cheesy Shocked Wink

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #217 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 12:48pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Wink The gears are already churning for an e version at 2X for (GASP! CHOKE! Roll Eyes Cheesy) rc Shocked...

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #216 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 11:02am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Pete... I was wondering about the motor anchor because I didn't see anything on the plan and noticed on Don's his vertical setup.  I was wondering about that very same winding problem.  I might be able to get my lovely wife to play "stooge" for me as Don does!  That would simplify things a bit. 

I did build the fuselage straight (Parallel to the datum line) from the fork former back to the trailing edge of the fuselage so the wing sit at zero incidence with the nacelles at about  1/16 down angle in relationship with the wing.

I was thinking of the magnets and a bamboo peg to anchor the leading edge to the former .  If built again I'd go with your suggestion to build the leading edge with a fuselage fairing and anchor there at leading edge.   

I'll show fuselage construction by itself later today.

Tom
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:10pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #215 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:07am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Looking GREAT, Tom!  Don't forget the supports for the vertical rear pegs!  Raising the TE about 1/4" from the stock position for your model should suffice for starters.  Are U gonna put the landing gear on it?

I've completed the tongue-in-groove mount for the wing on mine and will use two pairs of 3mm sq magnets to latch the TE.  I'm really having second thoughts about the removable wing though...

In a cartwheel landing, the wing "fork" will tear off the top of the fuselage.  There isn't that much of a transport benefit - the box will STILL be quite large what with wing sweep and the nacelles.  I'll probably go ahead and permanently glue the wing on once the decalage is set.

Winding the model wiil still pose a problem.. How does one wind (stretch) with that canard in the way - there is only about 3/4" clearance (on mine) Undecided?  Winding with the wing OFF is an option...  I still have to figure out a stooge for this pup - don't have a resident one Wink.

The removable wing would still be viable IF the inset is eliminated - that is, the fuselage/wing break is made at the fork point instead of the inner former.  That's the way I'll doit if I build another.

Photos to follow...

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Send Topic Print