Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Send Topic Print
Any Twin Cookup (Read 87456 times)
Reply #244 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 8:27pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Pete...in your build of the wing, did you build any washout in the wingtip panels?  I was wondering about the +1/16 incidence in the attachment of the wingtip to the nacelles.  Would the wingtip mounted aligned with the bottom of the nacelle equal washout when the center section was mounted and the nacelle attached to the wing center section at the -1/16 incidence giving the nacelle the downthrust you specified earlier.

So... any need for washout on the wingtip panels?  Or just mount the wing to the nacelles at the +1/16 incidence (both the center panel and the outer panels)?

Just thought I'd ask this... Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy Wink

Tom

p.s. starting on covering tomorrow.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #243 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 1:18pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Follow ups to my Rutango experience will be in the "How's it Flying" board.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #242 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 9:04am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

I'll try to do things properly today.  Re-checked the balance with rubber, props (MINUS prop stoppers Wink).  Needed about half a gram more to the nose than before I "corrected" the balance yesterday - a fair indication that the rubber bias is not too bad (about 40/60 - forward/behind CG).

I might be able to get out today IF my appointment doesn't take too long.  It's not quite as humid as it was yesterday (that can change dramatically by late PM) and the breeze, tho there IS one, is "straight down the runway".  Will try with at least 100 turns (and someone to video the attempt - I only caught where the plane "settled in" yesterday).

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #241 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 2:46pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Thanks for posting that link, Tom.  I was aware of the CU (I built the Bug-Ami for it), but no one knew if the plane had flown.  It DOES appear to have the wing TE raised higher than what is shown on the plan - the LE appears to bisect the top longeron rather than having the lower camber running parallel to it.

I made it to the field late this PM.  Dead calm and humid (it was humid all day).  I unfortunately left the house without checking my hygrometer...

By the time I got to the field and the motors wound (only 70 turns by hand), prop pins in place, the wing strapped onto the skeleton fuselage and the balance re-checked (H'mmm, a bit nose down - off with a bit of nose weight...), the covering was wrinkled.  By the time I got to my release point (20 meters away) the covering looked like a piece of laundry fresh out of the washing machine Angry.

Keep the above sequence in mind...

The good news, the RUTANGO flys... trouble is, the humidity added about a gram to the main wing.  The PROP PINS are short lengths of music wire (go back to my prep sequence) and are ahead of the CG.  What's that spell?

Yeah, it was a bit tail heavy at launch but not dangerously so.  70 hand turns on new motors is also not ideal, but the short, about 7 seconds, flight was still "OK".  No diving tendencies or other untoward antics and the "burst" maintained a positive attitude.  Slight left turn evident.  I put the plane back in the box.  I DID catch a bit on video.

The props seem to work OK.  Thrust appears equal and 3/32nd rubber appears to be the right size for this airframe.  More turns are definitely needed.  Downthrust was/is that which is designed into the nacelle sides (about 2.5°).

One thing is evident.  The nacelles, in larger variants of this model, will seriously benefit by the addition of diagonals between the cross pieces - at least back to the wing LE.  My nacelles were already twisting on 70 turns - no doubt compounded by the soggy tissue.  Banana oil (3 coats) is on all surfaces.  Would more be helpful or should I go for a coat of normal dope?

Got two flights in with the "Cloud Tramp" and the "4 SSS" that were not worth writing home about.  The humidity had softened up all the wood to the point that I could have rolled the stabs and rudders into tubes (they are DOPED).

When I got home, I looked at my hygrometer - 95%.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #240 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 10:32am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Found this picture of Bill's own Rutango on an old SFA thread about the third post down... Click Here
When you click on the link a box will come up to print page, click cancel and the page will come up!

A nice silver and red scheme. Bill has a lot of interesting creations!

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #239 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 10:11am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Thanks Don.  I've got the 3/32 motors in and am just waiting to see what the weather is going to do.  Forecast is for showers and calm.  Breeze <2ms at the moment (good) but towering cumulus all around and humid.  Any wet is not good when one is on foot with cardboard boxes and tissue covered airplanes.  I won't be taking heavier motors today, but WILL be taking a Cloud Tramp, the 4 SSS and a glider (gotta get some FLYIN' in!).

I've bent up the main LG out of 0.8mm wire and wii bend the nose leg this evening.  I probably will not ever fly the model with the gear plugged in (added weight will be about 1.5 - 2 grams including the fuselage reinforcement) as the model  weighs just a hair under 30 grams already (stick "fuselage").  The projected weight with the "real" fuz should be about the same (AuW with uncovered fuselage is 23 grams).

We'll see...

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #238 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 11:00am

Don McLellan   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Nice looking glide Pete.  It will be a great flyer.

Don

IP Logged

Reply #237 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 9:37am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Tom,
if you haven't covered the wing yet, add gussets behind the "fork" former - especially if you opt for  removable wing.

I didn't... Angry

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #236 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 5:01pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Sat. dish is re-located and sorta straightened.  Had to set it up about 3° off "normal", thanks to the new shape Angry - but at least it works.  Missed out on a fantastic opportunity at the field Angry Angry Cry.

Now I can get back to the important stuff Roll Eyes

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #235 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 1:40pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The challenges of everyday life!!!  Good luck with the solutions! Smiley
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #234 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 7:01am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Today looks like a good day to fly, but upcoming construction to the house has put a twist to things (literally!).  Scaffolding was erected yesterday in the front while I was playing in the back, and the jerks did a bang-up job of twisting my satellite dish out of shape - they had assured us that there would be "kein Problem", but that we may have to temporarily relocate the dishes (Farraday cage effect).  Well, dish kaputt - has a permanent set - and a buddy is coming by later to try and re-form and relocate the thing to where it will at least do SOME good.  Insurance from the scaffolding company will buy me a new dish (they BETTER!).

The downside is that I'll probably be missing a beautiful day (NO wind at the moment) at the field Angry, and the small upside is that I'll be able to watch "Falling Skies" and "Sons of Anarchy" in the evening Roll Eyes.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #233 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 10:47pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

OUTSTANDING PETE.... great looking glide and very promising for powered flight.  I hope to put tissue on next week.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #232 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 2:00pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #231 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 12:35pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Pete, I cant wait to see the video Cheesy

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #230 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 11:29am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Latest glide test today, with the fins attached (I actually got them on straight!) and the corresponding CG adjustment resulted in a LOOONG floating glide from shoulder height and a hint of left turn.  It nearly flew into the grill, but the turn "saved" it, landing only inches from the wall.   A bit later, a few glides with the prop units in place (and re-balancing - the props fully countered the weight of the fins Smiley) were very satisfactory and showed how critical the CG is (vid of the glide with props in place will be uploaded later).

I have some short motors made up and may try to get to the field later this evening for some power tests.  Weather conditions are nice, so it will be a toss-up whether to "fly" (Cloud Tramp, Senator, 4SSS) or "test"... Roll Eyes.

DSCF6124.jpg (242 KB | )
DSCF6124.jpg
DSCF6126.jpg (236 KB | )
DSCF6126.jpg
DSCF6127.jpg (219 KB | )
DSCF6127.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Send Topic Print