HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
Send Topic Print
Any Twin Cookup (Read 90473 times)
Reply #259 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 10:03pm

Don McLellan   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Hi Tom,

That is an exceptionally bright, well done Rutango! 

Looking forward to the pics of it completed.

Hi Peter,

Can you post a pic or two of your model in your stooge.  My stooge (read wifey) really, really wants to get out of the stooging game.

Don

IP Logged

Reply #258 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 4:24pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

The color saturation is much nicer than what is obtained with Esaki.  As you're not going to incorporate landing gear (I prolly won't fly with mine on), I hope you sheeted the first couple of bays on the bottom.

I've completed the provisional stooge.  The upper arms provide the primary retention and are long enough to reach the rubber posts.  The slots in the base - slotted and slightly oversize to compensate for misalignment and ease of pin insertion - provide lower fixation.  Stooge retaining pins will be semi-permanently tied to each post with string.  Not yet photographed are the foam rubber strips that are glued to the base for airframe/wing protection.

The upper arms swing out of the way, once the retaining pins are pulled, to alleviate wing removal (or just slide the wing forward - which could be problematic).  One just has to remember to insert the prop retaining pins when the props are attached...

DSCF6145.jpg (179 KB | )
DSCF6145.jpg
DSCF6146.jpg (75 KB | )
DSCF6146.jpg

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #257 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 12:15pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Pete...it is domestic and applied dry except for the wingtips.  All those curves needed it to be wet.  I had to be very careful.

I look forward to your stooge info and pics.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #256 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 7:22am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Nice vibrant colors, Tom!  Domestic?  I can't get bright schemes like that with the materials I have to hand without going to full acrylic.

I think the "stooge" issue is one of the reasons that more multi-motored models remain a rarity - especially odd configured ones.  The idea I had for a general purpose twin stooge didn't pan out for this particular model, but may work for more "normal" configs.  I've cobbled a semi rigid one together where the pin arms reach over the nacelles (twin pins) without fouling the fins.  The removed wing slips into the unit, pins inserted and then wound - both nacelles are fixed in the unit.

As noted, my wing is removable fore storage/transport and winding.  My thoughts are that there is less stress and damage potential for the rest of the airframe - namely the foreplane.  The main body is also rather bulky wihch would require deeper standoffs than what I have used.

Pics forthcoming when the epoxy is cured and the stooge is tested.

Weather has taken a turn for the better, so I was out at the field yesterday for some more testing - or so I had hoped...

Leaving the house with a couple of gliders (for testing the drift) and the Rutango/skeleton fuz, my olfactory sense was assaulted by the seasonal freshly FERTILIZED fields syndrome (natural , organic cr*p used here).  A cataglider was "offered" in hopes that off-field excursions would be the exception - it wasn't Angry.  Said cataglider is now part of the natural fertilizer, having landed squarely into a clump of muck.  I'll have to wait for the next good rain/dry spell, or a totally calm day before any FF flights can be made. Angry Angry

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #255 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 9:43pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Got some tissue on the Rutango today.  Still need to cover the prop blocks and vertical stabs & shrink the tissue.  I don't plan on adding landing gear.  Still plan on adding some trim tissue.  A little white for a Red, White & Blue look.  Prop blocks needs to be finished also then decide about the props to carve or not to carve?.  Then to figure out the winding stooge...how's yours coming along, Pete?

Here's the pics...
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #254 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 6:35am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Good to hear that the knee is improving.  My biggest pain is my back and bill collectors Cheesy!

Do make a comprehensive series of tests with that EZE Hope.  I'm still trying to keep an open mind about the stuff, but so far, the seeming majority agrees that it is cra* - including Monz.  Hopefully, it will turn out to be a simple matter of experience with it - my first year of working with aircraft dope was a disaster.

Spray it if you can...

I was kinda wondering if anyone would catch the registration thing.  You're the first Wink!

It's beautiful atm but a bit blustery.  Trying to get the stooge built to the point that I can use it this afternoon ( I REALLY do need a small milling machine, the Dremel Workstation just doesn't cut it).

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #253 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 9:08pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Glad to hear your back.  Knee is better did some experimentation today with tissue and EZE Dope to see how it will work on the Rutango.  But could only sit for a few minutes till I had to straighten out the knee again. So this looks like I'm going to be doing a "Work a little" "Move a little"  till I can sit for a bit longer. 
Your scheme on the Rutango is very nice!  I especially like the registration letters! Smiley Grin Wink Cool
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #252 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 12:08pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

OK, I'm back Wink!  Got involved with a few other matters...

Bum knees are a bummer!  Makes EVERYTHING a bit more difficult...

Thanks for the kudo's!  Been working out a twin stooge for this pup that I should be able to use on any twin with vertical posts - somewhat adjustable for the size planes I THINK I will build to (we all know how that will end Roll Eyes).  At this time, I don't really plan on building any twin with a >32 to 36" span, so I'll be making the anchors with enough adjustment for the nacelle span.

Painting up the wheels and have cut out a cellophane (actually more of a vinyl) windscreen.  I laid a sheet of the stuff (wrapping from a birthday card) around the fuz and traced the outline with a sharpie pen.  Soon as I feel that my hands won't shake the fuselage apart, it'll get glued on.

Weather was nice today except for the wind.  It was a bit more than what I prefer for testing, and a walk by the field yesterday met with a freshly mowed and very soggy view.  The rc'ers were out in force.

Hopefully tomorrow (if the stooge gets finished)...

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #251 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 8:50pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Don...on the mend!  Should be back to it soon!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #250 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 8:20pm

Don McLellan   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Excellent work Peter!  Agree with Tom, going to steal some of those ideas.

Hope your knee is getting better Tom.

Don

IP Logged

Reply #249 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 11:59am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Pete... your engineering is stunning!  Well done.  What a great looking model.  I'm definitely going to have to steal some of your ideas!!!! Smiley I've been layed up for a bit with a bum knee from working in the backyard...

Hope to get back to building soon.

This is a great looking model.  Love it!

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #248 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 10:41am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Totally disassembles for transport.  Might even help to reduce damage from "unusual attitude" arrivals.  the canard is split in the middle with an offset cut, and 3mm x 1mm edge-on magnets plus "scabs" hold the halves together and in alignment.

Main wheels are laminated with the nose wheel still to be cut (the legs were somewhat of a pain to bend accurately).  Glassing the cabin, covering the bottom nose section and some final trim deco will have her ready for final set-up.

DSCF6141.jpg (155 KB | )
DSCF6141.jpg
DSCF6143.jpg (165 KB | )
DSCF6143.jpg
DSCF6144.jpg (144 KB | )
DSCF6144.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #247 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 10:25am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Some photos.

First one is at the field for the maiden 70 turn motorized test.
Photos 2-4 shows the results of a rainy and windy day.

DSCF6130.jpg (141 KB | )
DSCF6130.jpg
DSCF6138.jpg (146 KB | )
DSCF6138.jpg
DSCF6139.jpg (148 KB | )
DSCF6139.jpg
DSCF6140.jpg (146 KB | )
DSCF6140.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #246 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 9:22am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

I've added receptacles for removable LG to the "3D" fuselage and made up the gear legs.  Wheels will be balsa.  The wire bending turned out quite well, considering the compound bends.  I also added the two magnets (3mm x 1mm square) at the rear end for wing retention.  Two additional will go in the center section TE.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #245 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 12:42am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

That 1/16th incidence was "left in" to counter what I feel is a bit TOO much incidence in the canard (something like a skosh over 5° referenced to the datum).  As I already had the fuselage framed up and all square, I didn't want to start butchering things up.  The trailing edges of the tip panels AND the TE of the center section are FLUSH with the rear bottom of the nacelles and the leading edges are blocked up 1.5mm at the rear edge of the LE (sounds trickier than it actually is).  Using 1/16th should pose no problems (it's a bit more than 1.5mm - closer to 1.6).  Just make sure that they are equal.  The wing itself is at 0° to the datum (airfoil bottom)!  The "incidence" is really only there to kill the illusion that the nacelles are pointing "up".  Shape your LE as carefully as possible - the center lines on the rib templates are there for a reason.

I did shrink in a bit of washout in the tips - 1.5mm at the tip rib.

Got the plug in main gear "box"' built into the fuselage last night.  Discovered that precisely that point is likely the best holding spot for launch (make sure you beef up the area where you choose to hold for launch).  I've found that the fuselage will benefit GREATLY thru thorough gusseting - I've knocked out quite a few uprights AND x-members in spite of double/triple gluing.  The fuselage, even tho it does not have to cope with rubber torque/compression, still takes a beating (Maxout and other fliers adept at handling F1d planes won't need this tip Wink).  Nose gear is next, then covering and "glassing" the 'pit.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
Send Topic Print