Beautiful Pete!

IP Logged

Reply #273 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:05am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Great looking Rutango, Pete...

I was thinking of trim lines as well.  Some white to the red and blue!

Looking forward to your next trim flights.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #272 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 8:23am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

FINISHED except for a trim stripe or two.  One bit of striping (either paint or tissue) will go around the cabin - the cutting guide marks didn't wash off.  I guess the OHP marker I used worked "permanent" on the plastic used.  No additional ballast was needed to maintain the CG and there is no noticeable shift with or without the landing gear.  The gear will be used onl for indoor flying - the wheels roll SO smoothly that I had trouble keeping the model stationary for the photos!

A pleasant surprise was the final weight of 26.7 grams (w/o rubber and with landing gear) - 29.8gm with the short motors - where my goal was for under 30.  This will allow me to do a bit more "moisture proofing".

Follow-up flight testing with the full fuselage might be possible tomorrow

DSCF6157_1.jpg (96 KB | )
DSCF6157_1.jpg
DSCF6158_1.jpg (112 KB | )
DSCF6158_1.jpg
DSCF6159_1.jpg (78 KB | )
DSCF6159_1.jpg
DSCF6160_1.jpg (96 KB | )
DSCF6160_1.jpg

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #271 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 1:06am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

I got the glazing on the fuselage, plus a bit of trim in the form of an anti-glare panel and side accents.  I used a cellophane-like plastic about twice as thick as cigarette wrap, glued on with glue-stick and fixed with canopy glue.  I'll probably add more detailing after I get the final flight trim done.  I'm also considering putting a coat of EzeDope on the plane (but I'll wait for Tom to play "airbrush guinea-pig" Grin).  I gotta find a way to beat the humidity here.

Essentially, this build is complete.

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #270 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 10:49am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Hate it when that happens...losing the the hot water in the shower! Weather is changing here in WA as well.
Had a major rain storm got 1 inch in 1 hour.  Really wild for a CA boy!

I'm going to try to spray a light coat of EzeDope with the Airbrush to see if this clears thing up!.  Got the vertical stabs covered and the prop blocks covered.  Still have the propshafts and props to add.  On this one I have room for 6 inch props.  So probably going the lazy root and use two Peck 6" grey props.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #269 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 5:24am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Not sure what you meant by "it doesn't completely dissolve in the dilution...".  Sis you add pigment to the EZE (the red looks pretty opaque)?  The stuff DOES tighten the tissue up nicely and seems to be a lot more moisture resistant, but I 'm still not quite convinced whether it provides the torsional stiffness that a REAL dope finish provides.

Have you tried painting over the stuff yet?

It was pouring this AM and there is no hot water (AGAIN no prior notification about construction in house).  Got turned off as I was in the shower Angry Angry.   Wind forecast is also not that favorable, tho atm it's calm (and soggy).

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #268 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 9:37pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Sounds great Pete.  I guess some sort of locking setup would work as well and as you say facilitate winding and carrying!  Thanks for the input.

Here's the pics of the EzeDope on the wing(red) and the stab (blue)... It may be due to my application, but looks like it doesn't completely dissolve in the dilution of 50/50 water/EzeDope.  Or I applied it too heavy and the drying cause a bit of depositing on the thicker sections of the application.  Going to try the airbrush before I give up on it.  I do like the hardness and tightness of the tissue using this though the white flecks is a bit of a problem.
Tom

EzeDope_wing.jpg (386 KB | )
EzeDope_wing.jpg
Stab_EzeDope.jpg (249 KB | )
Stab_EzeDope.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #267 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 12:57pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

You might want to reconsider the fixed wing, if not for the somewhat easier transport, but for the winding ease.  Just provide for a positive "wing lock".

I got a first glide test ith the "3D" fuselage late this afternoon in the back yard.  The incidence was a bit off n the main wing, but there was no damage done.  A sliver of a razor blade between the magnets seemed to do the trick, as the resulting re-glide went clear across the yard (props and rubber on board).  The landing was very smooth and wings level.  I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get a flight at the field.

The plane is about two gramms lighter with the 3D fuz than with the stick thingy.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #266 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 10:17am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

2nd coat of EzeDope was applied and I'm not real satisfied with the results.  The tissue has tightened up nicely and there are almost no wrinkles in the application of the tissue.  I like that! But the finish has left little white "hair like strands" 1/16 or so in length.  I'll try to get a close up picture to show you.  From a distance it looks ok, but close up not so good.  I did apply it with a brush instead of and airbrush.  So I'll give the airbrush a try on the next model with a 70/30 water/EzeDope mixture as suggested by Sciggs on HPA, to see if that works better.  So much for EzeDope! 

I've also decided against a knockoff wing arrangement.  I just can't see that happening without major damage to the fuselage with the existing wing-fuselage joint!

Kinda lost my building mojo, so I've got to finish the props, prop blocks and windshield/side windows of cockpit to complete the Rutango.  I do like the lines of the model very much.  If this one flies there may be another Rutango in my building future with several modifications to the wing joint!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #265 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 5:13pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Yes...I'm planning on using the detachable wing.  But I can see the difficulties with the leading edge of the wing cupping the fuselage.  I'm contemplating using a peg in the wing and socket in the bulkhead on the fuselage.  It definitely would have been better with the bulkhead moved to wing leading edge.  Should have done that before covering....

I've just finished the first coat of Ezedope/water 50/50 solution brushed on.  Actually came out very nice.  I'm going to add another thin coat after a day of drying.  Been raining up here in the No. West and I want to give it appropriate time to dry!

Tom
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2014 at 10:08am by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #264 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 12:44pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

SmileyAre you gonna use a detachable wing?  If not, then a two-tier setup will have to be made with the trough in the middle deep and wide enough to clear the fuselage.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #263 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 9:29am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Pete...really clarifies my understanding of the setup. 

Very ingenious arrangement.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #262 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 6:57am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Here are a couple of shots of the prop stoppers and pull lanyard.  I position the lanyard so that it is over the canard when ready to launch - the thrust-lines are above the canard, which could cause a pull from below to foul/damage the foreplane.

Also, a shot showing the fuselage on the wheels.

DSCF6148.jpg (120 KB | )
DSCF6148.jpg
DSCF6149.jpg (150 KB | )
DSCF6149.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #261 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 6:53am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

You guys are really very lucky to HAVE a "people" stooge, even tho they might (don't) particularly like the job  Wink Grin (after all, it's work and the only satisfaction they have is the "thank you" and maybe a dinner plus seeing YOU enjoy yourselves).  The oikes here (to coin a Monz description Grin) aren't afraid to grab one of my models Shocked, but are terrified to stooge one Huh.

Photos of the wing-in-stooge:

I have to increase the thickness of the base, as I clamp my stooge to a table at the field and the fins hang about 1.5mm below.

DSCF6150.jpg (119 KB | )
DSCF6150.jpg
DSCF6151.jpg (139 KB | )
DSCF6151.jpg
DSCF6152.jpg (154 KB | )
DSCF6152.jpg
DSCF6153.jpg (144 KB | )
DSCF6153.jpg
DSCF6154.jpg (139 KB | )
DSCF6154.jpg

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #260 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 11:20pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Don and Pete....

Pete, I'm with Don, I'd like to see the wing in the stooge. Would help me understand a bit better the arrangement.

Where do you locate the prop retaining pins?  Do you have them tied together  so they can be pulled simultaneously when ready to launch?

My wife hasn't been too receptive to the stooge chores, might be related to the name!!! Cheesy Grin Wink

Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print