Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print
Any Twin Cookup (Read 92631 times)
Reply #34 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 3:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well got things started on the Do335 B8 extended wing high altitude night interceptor. (Boy that was a mouth full, in future referred to as the Arrow)LOL Grin Cheesy Wink

While the keels (dorsal, ventral and horizontals) are drying I made a template for the sliced ribs.  They'll be of 1/16 balsa.  The template is made of wooden hobby sticks (look like tongue depressors).  I cut the pattern from the plan and used that to make the template.  It's for a "Clark Y " airfoil.  You'll notice I used two sticks so I could make an offset of 1/16 inch on the backside of the template to allow making accurate cuts from 1/16 sheet balsa. 

To make the first cut I start at the bottom of the sheet which then allows me to get 1/16" thick ribs.  For the shorter ribs I cut the trailing edge off the rib to proper size. Allowing the wing to keep the proper airfoil through the span.

I'm looking forward to this build now!

Tom

(110 KB | )
keels_being_formed.jpg
(48 KB | )
sliced_rib_templet_showing_1_16th_offset__2.jpg
(49 KB | )
sliced_rib_templet_showing_1_16th_offset.jpg
(62 KB | )
sliced_rib_templet.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 10:51am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW Mitch, 

Great job with the tissue.  Love the scheme!  Is the small pinstripe tissue or marker?  This is a fantastic looking model.  If she flies as good as she looks you're in for some great flying!!! Smiley

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 7:40am

mitch j   Offline
growing old-no choice,growing
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

G'day all;
An update on the Double Top-got all the tissue on, its starting to look like a plane now! Since I took these pics, I've shrunk the tissue, installed the windows, & had a go at making some bearings for the wheels. They seem to have worked-she rolls like a real tricycle now!!

Bob, as far as motors go, I only have 1 sort of rubber (about 3/32 x 1/16 I think) so I will use that with 5 1/2 inch props.(Something else to start thinking about!)

Still got a little bit to go but its getting there!

(228 KB | )
20140623210425610.jpg
(242 KB | )
20140623210450464.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jun 19th, 2014 at 7:18pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mitch: she is looking good. What kind of motor are you thinking of using?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #30 - Jun 19th, 2014 at 11:22am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mitch,

Totally understand the demands of life.  Family first, job second, then the hobbies as time permits!  The Double Top is looking great!  Nice set of bones.  I'm looking forward to seeing the scheme you put on this one!  I know it'll be nice!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jun 19th, 2014 at 4:27am

mitch j   Offline
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

G,day all;
Work on the DoubleTop has slowed down a bit lately (work, sport, kids etc....you know how it is!), but its now ready for tissue. So far its 14 grams without props, rubber & tissue. I'm glad I went with the tricycle landing gear too-I think it looks cool !! Anyway, here's a few mocup pics. Now to start thinking about what tissue to use!!

Cheers for now!!

(318 KB | )
20140619175750281.jpg
(325 KB | )
20140619180111507.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 8:46pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

SORRY Guy's I have been busy filling out more paperwork and soaking up as much lazy time as possible before starting that job on Monday.

@Mitch: I am loving the Double Top and your usual clean building process.

@Tom: those photos of the Do 335 were interesting and wonder at the 36" monster that you are preparing to construct.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 4:21pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I hope to pull off the Do 335 B-8 high altitude night fighter with extended wing.  It will be based on the Don Srull plan with enlarged wing the whole design enlarged to around 36 inch span.  Here's a link to SFA showing a Srull Do335 build and Chris Starleaf's Dumas kit modified to the long wing night fighter.
Click Here
EDIT: Due to SFA closing down, this link no longer  available.

I'll be starting on this one as soon as I can get the CAD enlarged plan printed out.

Tom
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2015 at 1:05am by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 6:23pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mitch...no problem, ask away! Smiley

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 5:33pm

mitch j   Offline
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

Thanks guys!

cd, looking at your Senator & the Gym Dandy, you would have no problems with this bird! Actually, I am thinking it would probably be a good project for a first twin scratch build, being generally quite straight forward (so far!).

Tom, I think I might have a go at the sort of props you made for your Moonbat so I dare say I'll have a few questions when I get that far!! (You have been warned ha ha!!)

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 11:20am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mitch...the bones look great so far!  As fast as you're going on this project you'll be finished before I even get started! Cheesy Wink

Looking forward to the addition of the nacelles and dihedral.  This is a very nice looking model. 

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 1:20am

mitch j   Offline
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

Another update on the Double Top-a quick moc-up of the story so far. The wings still need dihedral & narceles  (in progress at the moment) but so far so good! Need to start thinking about props soon too I suppose. The plans give options for tricycle or tail dragger landing gear-I'm leaning towards tricycle, just for something different!

More pics soon!!

(285 KB | )
20140609091011673.jpg
(265 KB | )
20140609091035418.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 7:17pm

mitch j   Offline
up-optional
Renmark SA Australia

G'day guys;

Tom, it's all meant to be made from 1/16 square as usual, but the stuff I'm using at the moment probably is closer to 3/32. A touch heavier I know but I dont compete & it is a twin so power shouldnt be an issue. (....well they're my excuses & I'm sticking to them!! Ha Ha!!)

Bob, I find the poster pins really useful for keeping things flat (due to their large head area), especially where 2 or 3 sticks join in 1 spot. They also save having to try & stick pins through thin trailing edges etc or using 2 pins & a piece of scrap to hold thin stuff in place. (I still use normal pins to keep it all in line though.) I probably got the idea to use them from someone here's build pics!
(P.S. Dont worry Bob, I work 5 days a week & I'm still a lazy airplane building bum-& proud of it!!)

Cheers guys!!

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:18pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mitch, the fuse is looking good and I notice that you use poster tacks to align the two sides while gluing the cross members neat trick I never thought of that they seem sturdier than my flimsy T-pins. As for the four days off from work I hope they are productive and restful.

I was hired yesterday after a seven year stint (lay off, school, move) and was getting pretty use to being a lazy airplane building bum Grin

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 10:14am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mitch...looks like your making great progress.  What's the size of your longerons on the fuselage?  The bones look fantastic so far!
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print