Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sliced Ribs, My take on "how to" (Read 6075 times)
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 10:47am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 10:35am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

There is another variation on sliced ribs that preforms the balsa sheet to shape before cutting them. Explanation and pictures here: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=10158.0
ian

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 8:30pm

De Haviland   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Making the sliced ribs looks pretty simple BUT making the spars and diagonals looks like the tough part since they need to be tapered to fit inside the ribs accurately in the example you show.  For a straight wing it would be a lot simpler.   I have watched Tom Hallman's builds and wondered how all was done.   I am also wondering how strong the leading edge of the rib is since there is more of a cross grain?   Very interesting topic !

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW...I thought I'd gotten all the Photobucket snafu pics taken care of.  I will no longer use any "so called free picture sharing site".  As Staubkorb so well explained Photobucket is a farse and unreliable site.  Leaving holes in sites all over the internet.  Our site wasn't the only one affected.  RCGroups was highly affected also.  I'll go back through my files to try to reconstruct this thread.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Sky9pilot/Tom

edit:  I've reconstructed the thread with pictures inserted at the bottom.  Hopefully this will be an adequate reconstruction of the thread!
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:04pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:22am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Youi'll notice the "Photobucket" avatar where the photos "were".  PB (now know to prior users as Pure Bul****) WAS a free picture/video storage site where one was able to link/insert their works into Forums and Social Media platforms.  PB screwed many of their users by rather suddenly changing the platform to a PAY site if one wished to continue to use the service as originally designed.

Those who chose NOT to pay were still allowed to store their photos but could no longer share.  The previously "shared" works were subsequently blanked out on the outside sites.

Hopefully the "lost" photos can be re-loaded fro the original poster's hard-drive.

I really can no longer recommend ANY of the free photo-sharing sites for a permanent storage facility (I use a dedicated external drive for ALL of my photos, videos, bank statements and other files that I consider important)- especially now that the World is going copyright crazy.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:06pm

LateStarter   Offline

Tryon, NC

Where did the photos go?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 12:22pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 9:12am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Staubkorb is exactly right!!!! Keep the blade as vertical as possible!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:24am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

One thing to keep fresh in mind while doing this rather enjoyable  process:

Try to keep the (SHARP) blade as vertical as possible!

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 9:43pm

Doug Kittle   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

You make it look so easy... I buy extra balsa.

IP Logged

Jun 25th, 2014 at 11:06am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Hi Y'all...

Right off let me say I borrowed this process from somewhere. I don't remember just where!  They say this happens the older you get! Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue

I'm building a Do335 B8 over on the "Any Twin" Cookup and thought I'd share this "How To" so it would be easier to find at a later date instead of having to find the cookup thread.

I'm making a 28 inch wing that uses two spars and sliced ribs with truss construction ala Dave Rees construction method.  We all borrow from each other as we build these S&T models.

So, here we go:

Step one-
Select the airfoil you will be using and size it to maximum chord of the wing you will be building.  Usually found on the plan you will be building from.

Step two-
Once airfoil is selected make the template from plastic, bass wood, plywood, or some hard material that will resist deforming as you cut the ribs.  I used hobby sticks (looked like Tongue depressors) from Hobby Lobby Store.  Large package for little money.  I cut the foil shape in the stick making several cuts with an exacto knife with #11 blade.  I usually cut just outside the line and sand to shape.  Once I've cut one stick I cut another to the same shape and offset it 1/16 or to the thickness desired for each rib. and glue it to the back of the top template making sure the width is equal all along the rib.

Step three:
Once template is constructed you'll need to make the first cut on the bottom of the sheet of balsa you'll use for the ribs.  I usually cut a sheet of balsa the length of the maximum sized rib.  You want the grain running the length of the rib for strength. 
Be sure to anchor the balsa sheet so it won't move as you press the template on the balsa sheet
For this first cut I turn the template over (upside down) to allow you to cut this first cut as close to the bottom of the sheet as possible.

Step Four:
Remember to anchor the sheet when you turn it back over and start your first rib cutting.  Slide the template up over the balsa sheet butting up against the offset of the foil underneath the top.
Make several light slices, rather than trying to cut the rib in one stroke!

I forgot to anchor the balsa sheet for my first rib, so I'm showing how the template can slip and cause the rib to be thinner on one end or the other.

Step Five:
Start cutting the ribs.  In a few minutes you'll have all the ribs you need.  I suggest making several extra in case you break some in the construction process.

Step Six:
Now trim the ribs from the trailing edge for the shorter ribs and you'll have the proper airfoil for the complete span of your wing!

Enjoy this new toy and label it for later use.
Tom

EDIT: THE PHOTOBUCKET SNAFU HAS BEEN CORRECTED AND HOPEFULLY THIS IS AN ADEQUATE RECONSTRUCTION.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:01pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print