Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dorastonian- Bostonian Fw-190D (Read 9022 times)
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 6:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Got the tissue on the Dorastonian....

I used grey domestic and miss read the grain on the first application on the fuselage.  What a mess and wrinkles.  Had to wet it all down and pull it off and start again.  This tissue was a bit weak when wet and as it dried began to split.  So had to do some patching. But now it looks pretty good.  I'm learning to deal with the humidity here in the Pacific Northwest!  Not used to this being a California boy for so many years.  Get it nice and tight, let it set, and start to wrinkle again.  Going to let it set and acclimate to the area.
Still have to close up under the wing, but want to do some painting and panel lines first before assembly.
Here's the pictures...
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 4:51pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

More progress on the Dorastonian 190-D9...

I've completed the bones on then Dorastonian and will start covering tomorrow.  Found some more corrections to make on the plans to make this build easier next time. I've also thought about using some foam on the more complex gun covers infront of the cockpit on the nose. Not sure how the stringers will work out.  But tomorrow will tell.

Here's the finished bones...
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 10:24pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's some construction pictures of the Dorastonian 190-D9...

The fuselage is box frame with formers top and bottom and the first three side stations.  I then used 1/32X1/16 stringers on edge to shape out the fuselage.  The stringers don't go all the way to the tail but stop at station 4.  The Dora has a pretty flat fuselage from this point back to the tail .I added the backing disc to the fuselage to cover the stringers on the nose that were glued around the former #1/disc.  This gives a tissue and glue anchor at the front. You'll notice that I cut the disc too small, Gotta tweak the plan to allow for stringers around former #1 oops.  So you see that I have a balsa strip from the wet tube glued around the disc to make up for the mistake.  Like I said this is a prototype and the plans will need some tweaking to make everything match the build.

Horizontal and vertical stabs are constructed from 1/16 sq balsa (Ironwood from local hobbyshop  Grin Wink)

Still drying the horizontal stab so it didn't make the mockup...

Here's the fuselage, vertical stab and wing, mocked up.  Here's some pics of the cowling construction.  The cowling discs are 1/16 cut using my circle cutter.  They were then held together and notched with my 1/16 notch-er (home made with hard 1/16 balsa and a strip cut from a nail file glued to the edge.  Works great!  I marked 9 notches equally around the dics while they were held together.  Then before I layed them down I marked alignment marks so the notches would line up when ready to build.  I held the 1st disc in place with my machinist squares and magnets.  I then add 1/16sq X 16/32" long balsa stick around the disc.  I then added the 2nd disc and watching my alignment marks onto the 1/16sq sticks.  This takes several tries for me and lots of patience.  Once they were all in their notches I added some super glue to make this set up fast while held square by the machinist squares.

Once that was set I added two 1/8 balsa nose rings to the cowl and let that dry.  Once dry I sanded the nose rings to shape with 180 grit and then with 320 to smother things out. 

Here's the pics...
Tom

IP Logged

Aug 13th, 2014 at 1:32am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've been working on this plan off and on for several months and have got it to where I can build a prototype.  It was inspired by the Bostang designed by Roman on SFA.

It's very similar to the Bostang but has more rounded features.  I can see a whole fleet of WWII fighters in this Bostonian tradition. 

Using wood on hand my Dorastonian will be a lot heavier than should be built, but as a prototype it should be fun and will show me what needs to be changed on the plans... here's a thumbnail that really needs some changes to the formers on the side of the fuselage. Designed to meet the Bostonian rules.

Pictures tomorrow.

Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print