Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sillycopter Series (Read 9633 times)
Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 12:20am

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Scott,

Sorry about the long delay in responding to your post.  I must say, I love your interpretation of it with the fish image.   It was intended that builders be creative with it.  If you decided to go ahead and let the kids build it I'd like to see what they came up with.

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 7:50pm

FFScott   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

This is a test build.  I wanted to make sure it was easy to build and fly (build is done, but I haven't done flight testing yet.)  The second year students in our after-school club (The Fabulous Foo-Fighters, FAC Squadrom #75) will be building this later this winter.  We hold this at a local Junior High and are teaching them FF building skills.

Scott

P1040612.jpg (275 KB | )
P1040612.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:43pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

FFScott...thanks for sharing the shots of the SillyCopter.  Thanks for both shots.  Always nice to see a fellow modeler!  Nice job on the Sillycopter!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 7:40pm

FFScott   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Also, I found that the parts needed to have more room for the rubber and that the front part didn't set quite right without a little mod to where it attached to the motor stick.  See my mods in the attached plan...

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 7:37pm

FFScott   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

A better shot...

P1040621.jpg (196 KB | )
P1040621.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 7:37pm

FFScott   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Howard:

Here is my SillyCopter.  I found some really neat mylar wrapping paper at the Dollar Store.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 8:08am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Well Done! KF. it is always my ugliest aircraft that fly the best. How about some photos of the winning bird>

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 6:00pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The final Sillycopter prototype was squashed in a workbench mishap. The "cockpit" was broken in four places and off the motor stick.  The tail section was also broken in three places and a rotor blade was detached.  I had the wreckage in my junk box for months when I remembered that the Don Martin Cup competition was that evening at the Luther Middle School gym.  Rather than try to build another one I just got out some C/A and kicker and glued it back together.

I took it to the contest and while I didn't do real well (3rd place) I was surprised at how well what looked like  "Frankenstein's Helicopter" did fly.

Yes, I know the cups awarded are a joke,  but the real joke is that Don Martin, the contest's namesake, is not at all fond of helicopters.

photo_24_.JPG (69 KB | )
photo_24_.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 11:33pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Sillycopter Selfies

Here is a selfie of Fran Hurd, a member of the Brainbusters club, who built a Sillycopter from the plan and won second place in the clubs freeflight helicopter contest.  Notice the face on the model looks like Betty Boop.  Fran is a very prolific modeler flying everything from A-6 to RC foamie combat.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2015 at 5:15pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

KF, I would love to see those photos also.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2015 at 7:10pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Sillycopter Selfies

I have received some photos from modelers who have built and flown the Sillycopter.  Everyone seems to draw a face on it and a different one from mine!  If you have built a Sillycopter, either from the plan posted here or the ones given away in the February Model Aviation Safety Column Guess the Plane contest, please, take a selfie holding it and send it to me.  I would like to post an album of them.

Thanks,

Howard

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:52am

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

bigrip74 wrote on Jan 26th, 2015 at 10:34pm:
KF, the color tissue would be worth it for this cutie.

Bob

I just meant the working plan.  Having an 18 X 24, grayscale,  .pdf printed at Staples costs about $1.80.  Having it printed in color would cost you about $10.00! 

As far as the tissue on the model is concerned, use any color you wish.   But, as Dave Gee said, if you're a serious modeler, you might want to draw a sterner expression on it. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 10:34pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

KF, the color tissue would be worth it for this cutie.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 9:55pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Here is the plan for the Sillycopter.  Have it printed full size (18 X24) at any office printing service.  Print it in grayscale...it's too expensive in color!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 5:04pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

KF...thanks for sharing the videos.  Great to see the heli's showing off.  Definitely a  different facet of the rubber powered Free Flight.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print