HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 
Send Topic Print
A KK Senator Cookup (Read 105261 times)
Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 10:27am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I will watch with admiration, but I have a project planned for the winter already ... an old design called the Rainbow.

Ian

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 12:06am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

My bad, CD... I knew you were, just didn't get you on the list. Embarrassed Tongue Cry Wink

So far I know of the following:
Sky9pilot "Tom"
Bigrip74 "Bob"
Colonel Manfred Von Holstein
JimM
CDwebb "David"

We've had a few very new members that may like to join up as well.
Cookup will run through May 31st, 2015  giving us plenty of time for all modelers of all the building speed and skill levels.  So join in on the fun, fellowship and sharing of tips, how to's, challenges of modeling!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Nov 7th, 2014 at 11:57pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

I'm in too, Tom.

David

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Nov 7th, 2014 at 11:54pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looks like we have 7 people interested in this build and willing to participate in a cookup...so we are official(5 participants makes it official).  We will start the Cookup on November 14th.  If anyone is ready to start before that time, that's alright too.

Our poll tells us we have enough participants, but doesn't tell us who they are, so let's hear from you. 

So far I know of the following:
Sky9pilot "Tom"
Bigrip74 "Bob"
Colonel Manfred Von Holstein
JimM
CDwebb

I'm really looking forward to this cookup...
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 11:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Jim,

Found this on the HPA site... I believe the prop blanks posted there are what you're looking for! Click Here for Godden and Davitt prop blanks

Incase you don't look over there here's what I have...

Congrats Jim on being a Jr. Member...isn't this hobby about becoming kids again!!! Cheesy Wink Smiley

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 10:39pm

JimM   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

> drawings of both the Godden and Davitt prop blanks. 

Now to hand - sincere thanks, Charles. Much appreciated.

Hey .. I just noticed I'm a Junior Member !  The years have fallen away from me  ... way to go !!!   Grin

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 10:37pm

JimM   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

No obvious significant differences at a glance -  wondered why the prop was fractionally less than the 13" shown on the plan but it's 'legal'   Things like indicated downthrust, etc. are minor and sensible; I build a little down and right thrust into any fuselage to reduce amount of shimming ultimately needed.

I am curious of what Bob refers to as small inaccuracies in the original size, wondering if he reduced the span to the quoted 30" as shown on the plan and box. This is an error that was never corrected in all the years of production;   30" may have been the projected span (?) but the true span is 32", as per plan. 

Incidentally Bob aired a personal development of the Senator this year.  Larger, differing tip shapes, folder....  performance was phenomenal when seen in September

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 6:35pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Jim, I may can help you with that. I'll see in a minute.

Colonel, I don't know how these attachments will come out, especially the plan, but this is all I know about the plan differences between the two I was talking about.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 6:25pm

JimM   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

As far as I'm aware the only difference to the KK plan  is that they changed all the sensible measurements to the dreaded metric.

The Senator has been redrawn for replica kit manufacture by a couple of outlets, with warnings that the laser cut parts may not fit original plans  ... and one noted purveyor of redrawn plans incorporated his own ideas on some fuselage measurements, causing criticism to the point he supposedly has since noted.

Sadly others have also redrawn plans of some oldtimers with structural revisions that many build in good faith in the impression that the results are authentic reproductions.  One glaring offense was the addition of a sheeted leading edge on a rubber model.

Question - to anyone to whom I may have sent plan copies and prop details.  A computer glitch has consumed my Senator file and I have thus lost my drawings of both the Godden and Davitt prop blanks.  If you should have these, would you be good enough to email the items back to me?

thanks!  Jim   [email protected]

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 5:30pm

Colonel Manfred von Holstein   Offline
Indianapolis, IN

Tom, thanks for the link to the Vintage site. I downloaded the Senator 02.pdf a couple of months ago because it has since very good notes of component weights for me to use as a guide. I couldn't remember where I found the pdf and didn't want to share the file instead of a link.The three reasons I wanted to start a Senator CU build were it's reputation as a good flyer, it's popularity means there's lots of specific build info out there, and because of the larger size than I have built before. It should be a fun build with plenty of time to complete.

cdwebb,
I read from at least two sources that later Senator plans are different than the original 1950 one. It seemed like the plan has been a victim of the "telephone game." Do you know specifically what is different on the "new" plan and how that might make the model better or worse?

3 rules of Free Flight: Keep it light, don't build heavy, and it shouldn't weigh much.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 4:08pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

JimM wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 3:34pm:
I can get a batch of plans printed off quite reasonably if there's a demand for them.  The shop has a minimum fee but will do quite a number for that sum so the individual cost decreases accordingly

I, for one, appreciate the offer, but have already contacted Ratz to print one each of the traditional Keil Kraft plan and the Soggi plan. They should be here by the weekend.

I thought about building from the latter (but without all the extra hardware and frills shown), but I'll build mine from the KK plan, and refrain from putting in my 2 cents worth here and there - except for the front end parts. I'll go with the free wheeler with tensioning spring as on the 3/4 size one I built.

In the mean time, I can't sit idle. While I wait for FAI Supply to send the mylar for the Tenspot, I'm about halfway through a Parlor Fly. I gotta be building something!

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 3:38pm

JimM   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

>is a fairly easy build

A very basic build;  the only thing to be careful is to keep everything behind the wing as light as possible as the design has a fairly short nose, which often requires ballast

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 3:34pm

JimM   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

I can get a batch of plans printed off quite reasonably if there's a demand for them.  The shop has a minimum fee but will do quite a number for that sum so the individual cost decreases accordingly

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 1:33pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I think that I found a way to get those Senator plans. Have my brother who drives (I no longer drive) to search out a FedEx to print a copy, but I am taking my life into his hands Cheesy since he may not know exactly what I want. Looks like a flash drive with only (1) plan on it is the answer.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 1:08pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Jim...sent you a PM  thanks for your generous offer!
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 
Send Topic Print