Info on plans (Read 9266 times)
Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 9:05pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Alright Aubrey...look forward to some pictures of the "beamsbox"
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 8:44pm

aubrey   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

The beamsbox has turned out very well.  Simple to build easy to trim.  Its getting good times.  If I can get my daughter to show me how to take pictures I will post.
Thanks
Aubrey

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 7:18pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks for the advice, Pete. As soon as I'm past the next two days of forecast rain, I'll try to put some of it into practice.

One thing that I think may be happening is, I'm balancing with clay. I balance for the best glide possible. Once I'm there, I put it away for flight time later. Is it possible that as the clay dries, the balance gets thrown off from the tiny bit of moisture that evaporated from the clay? For whatever reason, after it sits all night, it has this little stall thing it does. Maybe balancing for a very slightly nose heavy attitude, let it dry and then re-check it?

I'm staying on it...

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 7:55am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

I try to get the wind on my left cheek for launching (I'm right handed), so that the glider starts the transition phase just as it passes the "nose directly into the wind" point - essentially launching just to the right of the wind.  This does require a knowledge of just what your glider does during the launch.  Mine all do one roll on the way up - at least the bigger ones (8" and up) do.  I can't follow the six inchers visually until they are near the apogee - they're just too darn fast and small.  The trim usually only stays consistent for about 5 flights before a light rub of the stab (bend, NOT!) gets it back in the groove.  From your description, it seems that the transition is starting as the model is beginning to point onto the wind, resulting in a slight zoom/stall (aircraft at the apogee and minimum airspeed).  These puny thingies are already at a major disadvantage with respect to Mr. Reynolds, so everything else has to be perfectly balanced Wink.

A 1/4 inch catapult is overkill for the six inchers and almost always results in wing flutter.  1/8th is GOOD with 3/16th about max.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 1:45pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Pete,
I was launching into the wind (force of habit). It went up in a pretty tight, straight up spiral - never even tried to loop. Maybe a third of the time it reached max height, dropped it's nose and after falling for 10 feet or so, nosed up into a stable left hand glide. About two thirds of the time, at max height, it nosed down and plunged straight back down like a missile.

If you can tell from my primitive balance "machine", CG is very close to 50%. Like I said last post, a near perfect glide just like this.

I think it must be something simple. I've read that other folks have had problems with transition to glide, but have yet to see a written solution to the problem.

Wish it wasn't raining today.  Cry

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 12:11pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Without seeing first hand what is happening, it is difficult to say.  Does it loop on catalaunch (too much incidence) or go up and then come straight down (too little incidence)?  Are you launching facing directly into the wind, and at what point (in % of chord) is the CG?

Launch angle IS somewhat critical, especially with the tiny gliders.  My Kittys launch almost straight up - about 80° and the bank angle - when at stretch - is alongside my body, about 80° (no loose clothing, please).  Incidence is nearly impossible to get exact on these tiny surfaces, even when you think that the surfaces are perfectly cut, they are most definitely NOT.  This is a fact, especially if the parts are hand cut.  Add to the mix the stresses added/released in the material by the cutting process and you end up with teeny inaccuracies.

The heavier wing is no issue, unless it's on the wrong side Wink, as that is one of the easier ways to induce a turn.  A small wedge under the left inside wing panel at the dihedral break helps the transition and keeps the panel up in the turn.

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 9:47am

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Finished the Kitty Katze. It was a somewhat hurried job and done in ignorance (for the most part), but done nonetheless.

Questions:

I assume, from my experience, that a straight up launch is not the preferred method? It was moderately windy the day I tried it out, and sometimes there was a sloppy transition to glide - sometimes there was no transition at all. I only launched 50 feet or so every time. Was it the wind, the launch angle, launch height or something else I'm not aware of?

Glide across the house is great! I accomplished this by adjusting CG with clay only. Everything built straight, but the left wing is a bit heavier than the right. I'm guessing that this accounts for the constant, but slight, left turn. Does this need to be dealt with?

I'll be doing another, and may go right on to a "W" model next.

David

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 3:01am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

David,
The grandkids will love the CLG's....my grandsons love flying them and chasing them down.  I only lost one to their over running the plane racing each other to it.  But they're easy to make and lots of fun to fly!!!  Pete's Kitty Katze will be a great start.  I also recommend the bright paint!!!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 28th, 2014 at 10:11pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Well after cutting out parts, I can certainly see how you might lose one. I'll end up having to paint this thing chartreuse or florescent orange. Even if you can keep up with where it lands, you still could easily have problems finding it!

If I can get it to fly, I'll make some for the grandkids. They're like their Papaw, they LOVE airplanes!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:24pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

My Kitty Katze "L" was my best 6 incher.  I built 4 of them.  I lost one on launch simply by losing sight of it during the catalaunch, one went OOS after about eight minutes directly overhead and two literally blew up on launch (they were both already "old and worn" at the time).  The weak point is the wing - GOOD, stiff wood must be used, 6 or 7 pound density "C" grain, or you will be introduced to flutter (carefully selected "A" grain can be used but is more prone to fluttering).  You will hear it very clearly by a buzzing sound during launch which will usually be followed by a loud "POP" as the wing explodes Grin.  ALL four Kitties had "repaired" wings.  A 9" loop (MAX length!) of 1/8th is more than adequate to get these kittens to climb the highest tree.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 9:27pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks for all of that, Tom. There are a LOT more more of these things out there than I thought!

Think I'll start with something that at least looks simple. Pete's Kitty Katze "L" is a 6" CLG. I feel like he wouldn't have put it out there without having it pretty well worked out. AND, I have everything it requires on hand. It all looks straightforward, but if I know me, it'll take three tries to get a half way functional glider!  Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 5:28pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

David... Catapult Launch Gliders (CLG's)
WARNING- Catapult Gliders/Scale or Non-Scale are highly addictive! Have been known to side tract all other modeling endeavors for extended periods of time.
Cheesy Grin

FAC has only the Jet/Rocket Scale, category but many other AMA or other groups have catapult glider events.  But for those who don't compete...they are a bunch of fun and can be challenging to trim but once trimmed there's nothing quite like it.  HPA has a section on Catapult gliders as well as Catajet and Cataprop gliders that's lots of fun. CLG's Click Here

CLG Plans: HPA Gliders Plans There are a lot of the CLG's that would be good beginners plans. Check them out!

Here's a Google link for CLG's Click Here

Below is the FAC (Flying Aces Club) rules for Catajets and the catapult construction.

VIII-4.0 JET CATAPULT SCALE For glider models of any man carrying jet or rocket propelled aircraft.
A. Profile fuselages are permitted.
B. Wing span: Not applicable.
C. Launch technique: Stretched rubber catapult.
1. Catapult dowel may be of any diameter.
2. Dowel may not exceed six inches in length.
3. Rubber not to exceed 1/2” total cross section. Example: Two strands of 1/4” or four strands of 1/8”.
4. Finished rubber loops may not exceed nine inches.
D. Scale points:
1. Coloring and markings 0 - 8 points
2. Details 0 - 8 points
3. Workmanship 0 - 4 points
E. Bonus points: Cumulative; added just once to the total flight points.
POINTS CRITERIA
5 Flying wing or Canard
1 Each scale engine, pod or tank in profile not contained within the contours of the airframe.
F. Official flight: No minimum, no maximum
G. Flight scoring: Total, best 3 of 6 flights
H. Total score: Scale points + bonus points + Flight Points = Total Score
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2015 at 9:02pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 12:01pm

cdwebb   Ex Member
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

This is another aspect of free flight that is foreign to me, but for the last couple of days I've been reading odds and ends about CLG. I've decided that I have to try this!

I'm collecting plans and reading what I can, but everybody be ready for a mountain of questions. First though, any suggestions as to a beginners project? I've looked at a couple of Pete's designs on HPA (can't remember the design name). Too much for a first attempt? Yes? No? Maybey?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 7:58am

Kabulrocks   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Tulsa, OK

How should I make a catapult for the Beamsbox? I have never tried catapult and want to introduce my boys to the hobby.  What rubber/elastic can be sourced at Hobby Lobby for the launcher?

I built the Lunchbox when the article first appeared in M.A.N. and was amazed at the performance of this glider.
Thanks, Todd

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 11:58am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

staubkorb wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 5:17am:
I was a bit puzzled about the notation also.  I agree with Tom tho, to just ignore it.  I am fairly sure it relates to the rotated side view of the fuselage (to fit it to the page).
Pete

I agree with Pete, as I've mulled this over in my mind.  I believe it is just "that" rotation of fuselage to fit the paper.  the second B-B view shows the front view after the rotation 20 degree CCW.

Aubrey...please post the progress of your build so we can follow along!
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print