Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print
Old Timer & Nostalgia or Antique Model Cookup (Read 78623 times)
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2015 at 1:08pm

applehoney   Offline
Ajax, Ontario

Bob, I would have liked to see the 'Cloud' fly more often too!    I thought I might have a photo but a browse through the old album was fruitless.   Guess I didn't have it long enough to take its picture    Smiley

Tom, the fuselage is quite simple.  A basic square box with the wing mount/cabin profile cemented on top and supported by opposing side formers .. the wing rest then on top of all.  The only fiddly bit is the lower curve to the pylon - as I recall, some light flexible balsa was eased into shape .. perhaps dampened  ... easier done than described.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2015 at 11:24am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Terryman...

I'll have to build a BFC-2 one of these days.  It's a great looking bipe!  But now I'm just going for the scheme on the Jimmie Allen Parasol. 

I've looked at the Flying Cloud Jr and am intrigued by the "diamond" shaped fuselage.  Apparently she's a great flyer.  So I'm with Bob, I'll be watching to see how you construct the fuselage.  I have some ideas on how I'd do it but am eager to see your solutions!

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2015 at 10:28am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

[quote]Nothing missing from the Flying Cloud Jr. plan - everything you need is there. I built one years ago, a very attractive little airplane.   Took it out on a misty  morning ... conditions where no thermal activity is likely at all.  Never saw it again .....  Sad APPLEHONEY [quote]

it seems the really good flyers have a mind of their own Wink, did you get any photos of your Flying Cloud Jr? I would have loved to seen it fly.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2015 at 9:09am

applehoney   Offline
Ajax, Ontario

Nothing missing from the Flying Cloud Jr. plan - everything you need is there.

I built one years ago, a very attractive little airplane.   Took it out on a misty  morning ... conditions where no thermal activity is likely at all.  Never saw it again .....  Sad

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2015 at 8:01pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I guess I will have to throw a die to see which plan I will use then. I will really watch your posts to see how you build the fuselage on the Flying Cloud Jr.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2015 at 7:58pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

bigrip74 wrote on May 4th, 2015 at 7:33pm:
Terry, if you want to build the Black Bullet I have others just sitting here:

JIMMIE ALLEN BA
JIMMIE ALLEN SILVER STREAK
COMET SPARKY
ACES MOTH

So! if you want to build the Black Bullet, go ahead and I will switch to another airplane since I have too many to build anyway Grin

Bob

Bob, that's very thoughtful of you but did you look close at The Flying Cloud Jr?  The fuselage x-section is diamond shaped instead of square.  How cool is that!  Don't know if I can pass it up. 

I see a Comet Sparky was also on your list.  I made one as a kid, the best flyer I made by a long shot and a beautiful classic design.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2015 at 7:33pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Terry, if you want to build the Black Bullet I have others just sitting here:

JIMMIE ALLEN BA
JIMMIE ALLEN SILVER STREAK
COMET SPARKY
ACES MOTH

So! if you want to build the Black Bullet, go ahead and I will switch to another airplane since I have too many to build anyway Grin

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2015 at 7:20pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Bob, Black Bullet is a beauty, was on my short list too. 

Tom, Curtiss BFC2 looks like it's begging you to build it.

I'm giving serious thought to The Flying Cloud Jr.  A lot of new design and construction problems for me to solve, the plan has quite a few things missing, maybe a page missing from it, I have not seen the print wood pattern.  It looks like a shrink of a Wakefield: The Flying Cloud.

If The Jr is already a shrink maybe no one will complain if I shrink it a bit more?   At 24" wingspan the Jr will definitely fly out of my local field.  Smaller, maybe 18", will be just the thing, a Jr. Jr.  Of course a flying cloud will have to be white, light blue and maybe light gray.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2015 at 4:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Jimmie Allan Parasol for me in the Curtiss BFC2 scheme
like this picture of the bipe.  I know it's only one wing but I like the scheme and might even add a radial cowl on the front.   Shocked Cheesy Grin

2249458_001.jpg (376 KB | )
2249458_001.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 4th, 2015 at 4:12pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

It will be the BLACK BULLET for me.

Bob

IP Logged

May 4th, 2015 at 12:51am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Cook up start in five days.  Have you made your selection yet?  I know building time is slowing down as the weather changes to more flying days!  This will be a longer running cookup to allow flying time and building as time permits. 

We'll be posting under this topic for the builds and not under the poll topic.  So let us know what you're going to build and get ready to start on the 10th of May! So any plan or kit whose plans were drawn before 1950 qualifies!  Wide open opportunities for a wide range of plans!

For a list of Old Timer plans take a look at Bob Holman Plans site: Click Here You'll find his list of Old Timers on the left in a side panel.

This is a pretty exhaustive list by Klarich Kits of Old Timer and Nostalgia Plans.  No pictures but you can google the plan if it looks interesting to you. Click Here

So please join us for some building between flying in the good weather!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print