Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print
Old Timer & Nostalgia or Antique Model Cookup (Read 78624 times)
Reply #25 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:44am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Killer, I will need to take a look at the Zipper to see what she looks like, as for the Jupiter it is a nice airplane not too big and flies good.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #24 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:38am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Yep, that's the one. There are so many to choose from it's gonna be tough to choose. There is also a Zipper on HPA that I really like. I meant to order a bunch of plans from Ratz. I guess now it's time. LOL.

I was looking at plans that you posted Bob, and I really like the comet Jupiter  I need to look a bit more closely. I like the curved, triangle frame. Not sure about the landing gear. Sure does have personality. Might just go with that one.
SOOOO many choices.  Cool Cool Cool

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #23 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:22am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Junior Clipper - from Comet - 1939 - 36in span - Rubber F/F Cabin
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=614

Fair Clipper - from Construct-A-Plane - 1939 - 30in span - Rubber F/F Cabin
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5619

Are these what you were speaking of: Clipper

IP Logged

Reply #22 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:16am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

LOL Cool Cool  Thanks. Lets see how things go. 
I think the Clipper and Sailplane are on HPA for free download.  Need to check the dates, but there are several over there. I will also check outerzone.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:10am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

thymekiller wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 10:02am:
Gonna try. Have to. Love theses things and havent built near enough of them. Cant promise anything.
Thanks for the list of plans guys.  Cool Cool

Tell you what! I build the fuselage then ship it to you to build the wings a finish Wink

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #20 - May 10th, 2015 at 10:02am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Gonna try. Have to. Love theses things and havent built near enough of them. Cant promise anything.
Thanks for the list of plans guys.  Cool Cool

IP Logged

Reply #19 - May 9th, 2015 at 11:42pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

thymekiller, will you be able to take part or is the job gonna keep you away?

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #18 - May 9th, 2015 at 10:58pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Very excited about watching this cookup.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - May 8th, 2015 at 11:02am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Terry, many moons ago I use to own 2 different length tree pruning tools. A 20' and 16' set, which would help with any tree bound a/c.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2015 at 10:33am

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

bigrip74 wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 10:26pm:
Terry, I do not remember any photos of the FW 190 and were you able to retrieve either a/c from their perches?

Bob

Guillows FW-190 was before joining this forum or photographing any of my planes.  It's probably still in the tree, unretrievable way out on a limb but securely attached.  Half the dime scale Great Lakes Trainer was retrieved a total wreck, the "guts" probably came down when the tree was pruned months later.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #15 - May 7th, 2015 at 10:26pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Terry, I do not remember any photos of the FW 190 and were you able to retrieve either a/c from their perches?

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2015 at 8:02pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Applehoney,

Excellent!  Now I'm a little torn about The Flying Cloud's size.

Here is the view from the a/c that is flying a little too well  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Terry

Untitled3.png (399 KB | )
Untitled3.png
IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2015 at 6:01pm

applehoney   Offline
Ajax, Ontario

Terry, it was more than 25 years ago and I have no recollection of things like CG, incidences, etc,    Yes, wing and stab/fin were removable, the latter set up for a D/T which, naturally, I didn't use in zero lift conditions..... yeah ... right.  Only warps would have been slight tip washout.

I built from the plan depicted. For the wing I used a 'generic' flat bottom section,  stab section is indicated.   Side stringers on upper front fuselage were just done 'by eye' to a logical smooth curvature.   I think I may have moved the rear peg forward a little .... maybe a half inch ... for more rubber room but not certain of that.

For a 20" model  1/16" sq. would be okay for the fuselage but I would question the need to so reduce the design.  In general terms the smaller you go the trickier the model is to trim, potential performance is much inferior and the airframe  - fuselage in particular - more  prone to handling mishaps.  I'd suggest building it 'as is', have a stronger, better flying model and keep the turns/torque to a level commensurate to your field area.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2015 at 4:21pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

applehoney wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 9:09am:
Nothing missing from the Flying Cloud Jr. plan - everything you need is there.

I built one years ago, a very attractive little airplane.   Took it out on a misty  morning ... conditions where no thermal activity is likely at all.  Never saw it again .....  Sad

Thanks for the nice testimony on The Flying Cloud Jr.  Sorry to hear it went OOS on you.

There is enough in the plan for me to proceed but without the print wood layout I'm going to have to deduce some of the part shapes. The wing ribs and any parts shown at oblique angles on the plan will require some construction lines, a few guesses and trial and error fittings to get right. 

I don't know how many years ago you built it but wonder if you made the wing removable, built in wash out or made the wing or stab incidences adjustable.  Were the incidences on the plan OK? Maybe a few other things that will come up as I build or you think of as I go.

For starters I've shrunk the plan from 24" to 20" wing span and will use 1/16" square stock in place of most of the 3/32" called for on the plan with the exception of the wing leading edge.  Your OOS experience convinced me to shrink the thing to reduce risk of the same in my small flying field.  At first 1/16" seemed too small to me but I checked a kit Miles Mowhawk I built of similar size and probably a little heavier.  With the exception of landing gear it has been pretty robust.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2015 at 3:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Applehoney... that's what I thought as well.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print