Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cloud Tramp annual mass launch / Worldwide Postal (Read 3381 times)
Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 10:00pm

applehoney   Offline
Ajax, Ontario

Five of us (two wives included) launched six Tramps at a sports field in Whitby, Ontario at noon.

Six ....   one dexterous and fearless individual somehow managed to release a Tramp from each hand simultaneously

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 8:08pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Fantastic Pete...looks like you got in some great flights and had a wonderful day!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and inspiration!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 5:55pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

It was getting close to 18:00, so, with a replacement shim in place and mindful of the wind, I cranked in 1275 twists and let 'er rip!  Starlings were active over the field (can be seen in some of the flight shots) indicating lift and I launched into a light thermal for a 2:47 flight - and the stupid pilot landed the plane in a closed off "Garten" Tongue!  Fortunately, it was close to the opposite fence, reachable with the aid of a 3 foot stick.

DSCF6344.jpg (93 KB | )
DSCF6344.jpg
DSCF6345.jpg (94 KB | )
DSCF6345.jpg
DSCF6346.jpg (84 KB | )
DSCF6346.jpg
DSCF6347.jpg (335 KB | )
DSCF6347.jpg
DSCF6348.jpg (307 KB | )
DSCF6348.jpg

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 5:53pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

I did, and you won't regret having your own Cloud Tramp!

Conditions were fairly good for me.  Winds - light and variable (well, a bit stronger than "light") but quite flyable.  I hadn't flown this pup since last year and had made a few adjustments, so a test flight or two were in order.  First one went into the dirt even tho I had re-adjusted the CG.  Moved the wing all the way forward on the seat and she "flew" (850 turns), but didn't gain any real altitude (an incidence shim had fallen out) and landed in our field security net.

DSCF6341.jpg (380 KB | )
DSCF6341.jpg
DSCF6342.jpg (176 KB | )
DSCF6342.jpg
DSCF6343.jpg (156 KB | )
DSCF6343.jpg

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 3:58pm

RJ   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Elizabeth City, NC

I participated! First time. I joined up with the "Brainbusters" out of Newport News, VA and we all launched at 1200 EDT sharp (that is New York Time). I don't have my own Cloud Tramp, but was loaned one. The fellow who loaned it to me said as he handed it to me, "...it probably won't fly very well."  And, he was right!

At least I got my picture taken with the group to prove that I was there. Though it was about 90F with a humidity that made it feel like 100F, the winds were light, and I had fun meeting and flying with other folks. Will likely have my own Tramp for next year's world wide postal.

Did anyone else participate?

Richard Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:17am by RJ »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 8:07am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Don't forget, today's the day for MIMLOCT 2016.  Launch time is 1700hrs British Summer Time (GMT + 1 hour), or 1200 New York time (check to be sure for your time zone).

Weather here in Germany looks to be breezy (as usual Angry) with thunderstorms in the area.  I'll be making my first appearance at the field for this year Shocked with just my cleaned up Cloud Tramp in tow.  I was planning to change props from the original Guillow's black 8 incher to the Chinese orange one - didn't quite get it done...

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 11:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Pete...sorry  to hear about the scratches but sounds like a  flight you'll remember for a long time!  All on 500 winds!!!! Amazing.  Thanks for sharing the event!

Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 1:06pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Just got back from the field and a short first aid stop at my neighbors, with a scratched up Cloud Tramp along with its ripped up motor and me with a number of scratches and "minor" injuries Lips Sealed...

It was a bit breezier than I would have liked and blowing towards the road, so I only wound in 500 turns on the OLD (like three years) motor and set up to launch way over on the Northeast side of our field boundary and launched as the clock struck 6 PM (CEST).  On 500 turns, my CT doesn't climb very high, especially with a worn out gummi, but this flight was obviously into lift.  The plane got nearly as high as when 1400 turns get wrapped in and the glide was noticeably flatter than  "usual", and the breeze...

Over the Eastern rough, over the (quite) active flying field and into the Western rough (that abominable area, home of the dreaded BLACKBERRY THICKET!).  A couple of zigs and a couple of zags, did the Cloud Tramp make before opting to overfly the one tree on our patch and lazily circle/drift toward that durned thorny bush that had messed up my RUTANGO a few months ago - AND THAT'S WHERE IT DECIDED TO PLANT ITSELF!!!

Getting to the model was not too hard - I was able to still "use" the path I had cut into the thicket, even tho it had started to recover - but the exposed and quite long motor had tangled up nicely in the thorny shrubbery and was done for.  I tripped while turning around, landing unceremoniously and painfully in the brambles - BUT THE CLOUD TRAMP SURVIVED!

I have NO idea how long the flight was, but it must have been over a minute.  One club member said it was up for a LONG time, and this guy has seen many of my CT flights.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Jul 27th, 2015 at 7:12pm

applehoney   Offline
Ajax, Ontario

Just a reminder that the annual CT Mass Launch takes place this coming Saturday August 1st.      Launch time is noon Eastern, 9am Western – and equivalent corresponding time elsewhere in the world. Please email the organiser – Mike Kemp – to let him know of your participation; he would also appreciate photos and anecdotes  [email protected]  for his webpage report  http://www.mikedparker.karoo.net/

It may be timely to note that the 24th. WorldWide Postal Competition is presently up and running under the able administration of Gary Hinze – and this has an event for the Cloud Tramp  which might be conveniently flown at the same occasion as the Mass Launch.  Five flights  - participation and scores, etc.  can be submitted to Gary’s website “Endless Lift”    http://www.endlesslift.com/ ;   under the heading of  Postal Competition 2015/2016,  which also provides full details of the various postal events/classes and rules for same.

Hoping you will support both endeavours .....   Jim Moseley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print