Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Berkeley Plan Cookup (Read 33266 times)
Reply #101 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 8:41pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Something must be in the atmosphere...my wife's lower right molar grenade-ed last thursday.  Had to have the roots dug out on Friday!  Bad scene!  She's doing well now but still sore in the jaw and a front tooth the dentist pressed on for leverage. 

Ok guys, that's enough... I don't want any of this myself!!!!

Hang in there fellas!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #100 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:16pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

I hate going to the dentist. I chickened out of the big stuff and got the worst part dealt with till later, when I am forced to developed more courage.

Spent too much time with other stuff, but did manage to get a wing panel mostly built. There's alot of things on the plan that I haven't figured out. I think i will build the other outer wing panel and join them when I have a fuse to mount the center section to. Not sure how that's gonna turn out either.  One thing is certain, I will need to do alot of sanding.
My first wing jig did not turn out too well, but I built a second and now feel better about adding the sheeting and capstrips.  I feel like that stuff is unnecessary for rubber powered free flight, but I haven't ruled out electric yet. Besides, I need the experience.  Currently looking at Zombie to control the motive power. Depends on finish weight.

Pics next week.  I learned alot, but don't have any good pics to show for it.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #99 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 2:13pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thyme ... I've always loved the Stinson!  Good luck with the tooth!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #98 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 2:05pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Thyme, I have an extra pair of dentures if you wanted to borrow?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #97 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 11:43am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

NcGunny,  Dentist app at 3 today. Will be normal after that. Cranky and shaky for now.
Tom,  Building the Stinson from the Berkly plan from the list.
The fuse is a straight up Keel and Former. The wing has a few features that, as Bill suggested, take me out of my comfort zone.

IP Logged

Reply #96 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 9:44am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking good Thyme.  Which plan are you building?  Sorry to hear about the tooth ache.  Unfortunately been there and done that!!!!  No fun.

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #95 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 6:46am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Nice looking wood Thyme! I feel for ya with the tooth, have a molar that grenaded with no warning and I have 2 week wait for dentist... Pliers are looking pretty good today..lol

IP Logged

Reply #94 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 10:57pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Sorry it's a late entry. Took awhile to get the time to do it and took several weekends to cut out the parts and get a building board big enough.
  For a board, I glued 2 pieces of 1/4 inch white foam on to a 5/8 particle board piece . Found the whole bit at Habitat for humanity for 4$. Put some packing tape around the outside and presto
The parts where cut for sheets I had printed at a local printer. Took 3 tries to get it done. Had to wait for someone to come to work who could run the big printer. Will try Staples next time.
  This plan has several features that are new to me. The ribs have legs to stand up off the board, rather than set straight onto the board. That makes the Le and Te maybe 1/2 inch above the board. This will be my first shot at cap strips and a sheeted leading edge.
  The center section probly should have been cut from plywood, but I tried basswood instead. After the two outer section s get joined to the center, I will cut some holes in the main spars and supports.

Got a pretty bad toothache tonight. Dentist tomorrow. Not sure how far i will get this weekend.    

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2016 at 1:11am by thymekiller »  

IP Logged

Reply #93 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 7:07pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Just kinda put the Cessna on hold till I heard from Bill and how things are going.  I know he's had some family challenges.  So the Cessna awaits progress till Bill can resume building.

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #92 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 4:55pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Yea...warmed up today! Low 50's.  So warmed up the rattle can in some hot water for a few minutes and fogged on a light coat of Pumpkin Orange. Next the black trim, windows and we'll call the Cessna done. 
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #91 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 9:50pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, I got some more orange for repaint, but the temperature has dropped into the high 30s low 40s.  So no painting.  This big model will have to wait till I can take her outside to paint.  Hopefully I'll get a chance before winter hits full force.  So I'll be starting on the SBC-4
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #90 - Nov 1st, 2015 at 12:26am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Terry... as for the lens cover, I'm going to heat a strip of clear plastic and pull it over a dowl that will pre-form the leading edge shape in the plastic and then fit and glue it over the lights. I think that will work better.  The plastic I was using was a bit too thick. It didn't want to conform to the airfoil leading edge.  Live and learn.  I haven't made landing light before in this scale.  I think it'll work out ok. 
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #89 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 9:37pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Sky9pilot wrote on Oct 31st, 2015 at 4:17pm:
Thanks Terry...

I've got to redo some of the landing light painting.  I just wasn't satisfied with the look.  I also painted the tissue but am not satisfied with the color.  So There will be some redoing of that as well.  Just didn't get the ink mixed to my satisfaction.  I want a brighter color, more pumpkin orange.

Pictures later.
Sky9pilot

Tom, 

Those lights look fine the way they are.  They are tiny and I would be very satisfied with them.  The camera macro brings them much closer that anyone will look at them.  What are the chances they will be better on a redo? Have you an idea for trying the plastic cover again?   

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #88 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 4:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Terry...

I've got to redo some of the landing light painting.  I just wasn't satisfied with the look.  I also painted the tissue but am not satisfied with the color.  So There will be some redoing of that as well.  Just didn't get the ink mixed to my satisfaction.  I want a brighter color, more pumpkin orange.

Pictures later.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #87 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 10:48pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Landing lights or googly eyes  Smiley  Smiley ? Either way they look great.

Terry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print