Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Berkeley Plan Cookup (Read 33268 times)
Reply #26 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 1:42pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

I'm in with the cloud.  Can't help myself.
Love the Stinson but would need a year at my rate to build it.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 9:03pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well got started on the fuselage box section.  Two sides built and then aligned over the top view of the fuselage and the cross members added.  I used 3/32" sq for the sides and the back half of the fuselage. The front half I used a bit heavier cross members 3/32X1/8" to just behind the wing trailing edge former for strength for holding the model later. 

I then added the bottom formers while the box was upside down.  When the formers dried I added the stringers that the plan calls for, 1/16X1/8" balsa.  I just added three at this time.  These stringers started to warp the box so I added trusses that will be removed later.  With the box still held down by the magnets I misted the whole structure to relax the stringers so they wont' twist the box structure.

Cut out the nose blocks 1/8" sheet and laminated the 3 together.  I'll install that to the front of the box tomorrow.  I'll then pull the side and stringers together to the noseblock.

Here's the pictures so far.

Hey Bill you started yet?
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 7:34pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Pete...we don't mind if you build along as you can...even if the planes are for the Dark Side (RC)  we won't hold that against you.  Cheesy Grin Wink Cool

Bill and I talked about electric conversion.  I'm not going to do that this time but have been looking at a L-19 Birddog that would be fun in an electric RC conversion.

Well, I printed and taped together the plans for the 36" Cessna 180, 30 pages of 8.5X11.  I've decided to modify the fuselage construction to try to save some weight. As these plans were designed to handle IC (Internal Combustion) engines that had a lot of vibration.  Although there is a rubber powered version on the plan the basic construction is the same, the nose section is the only change.  My plan noted that the CL or Rubber conversion kits could be purchased at the dealer for an additional $.25 to $.75 . 

I cut off the fuselage side view and the parts sheets to make the plan easier to work with.  My magnet board isn't 36" long so the wing will be built in sections, left wing and right wing.  to be mounted to the fuselage using aluminum tubes and magnets.

I'm going to build a box fuselage from 3/32" balsa longerons and upright and cross braces with the former tops and bottoms added to the box for the basic shape.  I drew the box on the plan with a red sharpie pen.   
I soaked the longerons on the bottom of the fuselage that has a large curve in it in hot water and then, using my magnet board "pinned" the two longerons in place to dry over night so that when the uprights are added that the bottom longeron will stay in the bent position and won't want to straighten out!

I'll post pictures later.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 5:27am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Waiting for the bl**dy rain to stop (again) so I can get out to the field to try getting in my flights for the P-30 contest and a bite of lunch...

I really don't wish to do a cookup - SUPER bad track record with CU's, too many irons in the fire along with physical issues - but...

I WOULD like to build my Fairchild, but have to replace a sheet of parts (or two), so I MAY tag along with an enlarged V-16 (it's 13" span, but I'll make it in 18 -24") or maybe the Seacat  or Custom Privateer (they're rc, tho).  All have been on my "must build" list since the fifty's.

No promises.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 6:38pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

This Cook Up is still open to anyone who would like to join in making a Model from Berkeley!

So with Bob's input:

Al/Simpleflyer...Zilch 20
Tom/Sky9pilot... Cessna 180
Bill Parker...Cessna 180
Bob/Bigrip74...Berkeley V-16 or the Chieftain
Not sure who is the 5th, possibly Staubkorb?...?

We can always use more participants, how about it modelers?
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 3:54pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I am still undecided between the Berkeley V-16 or the Chieftain.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 2:24pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well it looks like we have 5 who will join us.  3 chose to do any plan/kit for this cookup so that's the overall rule of this cookup. 

ANY PLAN OF BERKELEY'S OR THEIR KIT FOR THIS COOKUP!

Bill and I have agreed on building the Cessna 180 together.  I look forward to this build.  I've decided to go with the orange and black Alaskan Bush modded Cessna.

I'm leaving this cookup open ended but figure by the end of the year we should be ending up with finished models.   

Al/Simpleflyer...Zilch 20
Tom/Sky9pilot... Cessna 180
Bill Parker...Cessna 180
Bob/Bigrip74...?
Not sure who is the 5th, possibly Staubkorb?...?

THE COOK UP IS ON!

Sky9pilot
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2015 at 6:34pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 10:38pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I enjoy the research for each model and this Cessna 180 has really surprised me!

Just found out that it was a Cessna 180 that was used by the first woman to fly around the world in the Cessna 180 Spirit of Columbus.   

Mrs. Jerrie Mock, a 38- yr old Columbus housewife with about 750 hrs of flying time, became first woman to pilot an aircraft around-the-world. (When she saw that she was called "Geraldine" in NASM descriptions of the flight she asked Don Lopez to change it to "Jerrie" because "people named Geraldine get airsick.") On 19 Mar 64 she left Columbus and returned 29 days, 11 hrs, 59 mins later on 17 Apr. FAI certified her flight of 23,103 miles as a speed record for aircraft weighing less than 3,858 lbs. After the flight, she never flew her plane again. Later, Cessna exchanged aircraft with her, giving her a later model. For a number of years, Spirit of Columbus was suspended in Cessna factory in Wichita.

Another interesting note, she didn't want to wear pants to fly, wouldn't look like a housewife of the time, so flew with flat shoes but put on her high heels as soon as she landed! Lol Cheesy Grin Cool

Jerrie Mock- Wikipedia: Click Here
Amazing!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 9:40pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Alright Al...looks good!
I was doing some more research for the Cessna 180 and ran into this beauty.  Why couldn't Berkeley have kitted this bird.

OK, I know, it's about 54 years later!  the Cessna 180 was produced 1953-1981 so this 2007 announcement of Cessna's LSA & NGP is pretty much out of possibility, but look at this Cessna!

Lakeland, FL - April 17, 2007 - Cessna Aircraft Company, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, is displaying the Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) and Next Generation Piston (NGP) proof-of-concept airplanes here at the Sun ‘n Fun Fly-In. Cessna continues to evaluate these proof-of-concept airplanes for design specifics, market demand, and whether or not the products support a viable business case for production.
I WANT ONE!!!!
Sky9pilot

20zs3du.jpg (16 KB | )
20zs3du.jpg
3503.jpg (122 KB | )
3503.jpg
cessna_ngp.jpg (323 KB | )
cessna_ngp.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 3:14pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Hi Bill Parker, are you interested in the Sig Super Cadet pictured below?  If you are, let me know.  Norma and I are heading up into your area on Sathurday and we can drop by your place and deliver it(no charge) Smiley

While it is not 100% Berkeley, it was produced and marketed by them before Sig took over the Berkeley kits.  Plan of the kit is at:
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=3129

For the Berkeley cookup. I polled a vote for 'any Berkeley plan and size'.  Our selection for the cookup is the Zilch 20 also pictured below.  We started this kit over 50 years ago and this cookup will be a good opportunity to complete it as a 'swinger' Wink

Al

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 11:42pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I love those over sized wheels Shocked

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 4:24pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I have to admit that I'm really partial to the Cessna 180...and here's a couple I've found...
Dark Green and Yellow Austrailian version and this Orange and Black Bush plane from Alaska...
I do like the grey version...But there is just something about the orange and black one with the balloon tires!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 10:10am

BillParker   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Houston, Texas

There's always a gray version. Cessna 180

I likey...

bp

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com [email protected]
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 10:29am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I think Pete is correct! It was a deep southern drawl that caused the misspelling  Wink.

So! which airplane will it be and I will print the plans and have it ready.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 6:53am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

I had always questioned the "Rancher" name.  When I was a (little) kid in Erie, I somehow was able to visit the airport on a fairly regular basis with my Dad where there were a few  long-nose -24's and a radial version (and Ercoupes and Bonanzas, Beech Model 18's, and....) - ALL were called "Ranger's" (except the radial one).

The Rancher is probably a misspelling from Berkeley, taken from someone's mispronunciation (DEEP Southern drawl or maybe from the Germanic Roll Eyes) of Ranger.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print