Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Berkeley Plan Cookup (Read 33333 times)
Reply #56 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 6:53pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Worked on the wing today.  Decided to use the Titebond glue for this construction, almost out of the thinned Duco.  The wing was too big (36")for the magnet board.  Should have cut the galvanized sheet lengthwise instead of width.  So used the celotex building board and pins. 

I plan on forming the wingtips from foam and making them the stol tips on the "Bush Plane" setup.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #55 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 12:02am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Al...
Looking great! That is a nice wing planform.  When you say creative nose weight for the Powerhouse fuselage...are we thinking a mock .09 or there abouts fake IC engine? 

Keep up the great work!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 11:22pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

We decided to do a sneak preview of how the Powerhouse wing would go, so we attached it to another fuse and tail and it went well.

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 11:19pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

The Powerhouse parts together with some others of the high-wing swinger fleet.  One of the joys of removable parts with compatible mounting systems is the ability to 'mix and match' parts to make different combinations of flying models.  This batch of parts can yield over 20 different models.  So breaking a part here and there doesn't bring the flying session to a stop Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 11:01pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

We got the wing mounted on the Powerhouse fuselage.  Now to attach a creative nose weight to the model and fly it.

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 10:56pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Quote:
I have my plans printed.  I'm slowly catching up...stand by...

Good to see you back in the cook-up, Bill.  I'll get in touch with you about getting the Interstate Cadet kit to you.  Take care,

Al

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 7:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

terryman wrote on Sep 29th, 2015 at 6:07pm:
Tom,

I see you using that purple foam more and more, looks like it shapes and smooths very nicely.  Maybe you already said but what is it called and where do you get it?Terry

Terry...it's just pink insulation foam comes in 4'X8' sheet in various thicknesses.  Mine is 1/2" because it was around $20 for that much.  The 1" is double the cost.  I can laminate it lots cheaper than buying the 1" thickness.  I've been using that sheet for about three years now and still have over half of it left.  Not having a pickup I have them cut it in half so it would fit in backseat of my car! Got it at Home Depot.

Here's the "rolled ribs" pictures I promised in the previous post.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 6:07pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Tom,

I see you using that purple foam more and more, looks like it shapes and smooths very nicely.  Maybe you already said but what is it called and where do you get it?

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 12:34pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

bigrip74 wrote on Sep 29th, 2015 at 4:43am:
Tom, I see you went with a cracked rib wing. And I noticed on the former's you sanded out a half moon section. She looks great so far Smiley bob

Bob,
It's not really cracked rib...I've haven't tried this before, but heard about it here or on HPA or the FAC newsletter and decided to give it a try.  I'll post some pictures of the process so it's a bit clearer.  But if you take a stringer, I used 1/16" sq, and roll a cylindrical shape, my Xacto knife handle, 1/8" from the end back toward yourself, the tip will curl up.  A couple strokes with the handle and the curl increases and as you roll it along the stringer the curl will take on the rib shape.  I roll close to the tip for the immediate curl and then less strokes along the stringer to get the final shape.  Cut to length and do the next one.  The stringer is not broken/cracked at all but compressed so it's strong and with the glue on the spar at the compressed area it strengthen with the glue joint. 

I like the shape it provides but the proof is in the pudding...so we'll see how it holds up!  The curve is adjusted by rolling in various distances from the tip for the desired results.  Really need a picture of the process that shows what I'm talking about.  Coming soon.

Yep the formers got the halfmoon treatment and some of the  sections between the cockpit got 1/16X1/8 braces when the cross member was removed.  Still have a couple cross members to remove in the cowl section.  I think this model would make a really nice electric conversion.  I've been thinking about that using one of the motors I bought a while back when working on my Grumman Goose G21A.

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 12:10pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

BillParker wrote on Sep 29th, 2015 at 10:57am:

Bill, you are ahead of me I still have not printed my plans yet Angry

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #46 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 10:57am

BillParker   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Houston, Texas

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com [email protected]
IP Logged

Reply #45 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 4:43am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, I see you went with a cracked rib wing. And I noticed on the former's you sanded out a half moon section. She looks great so far Smiley

bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Sep 28th, 2015 at 9:30pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, Bob and Tom, for your comments.  Tom, the engine cowling on your Cessna is a nice piece of work and looks good.

We've covered the wing of the Powerhouse.  The tail is done.  To make it removable the horizontal tail was relocated about a quarter of an inch lower.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Sep 28th, 2015 at 6:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

As I said in the last post, I modified the horizontal stab, I used rolled ribs and added a second spar. Not sure I saved any weight but the nose is already pretty heavy.  Gotta get the scale out and see how much the components weigh separately.

Also show a picture of the nose cowling openings for cooling.

Here's the pictures so far.  Mom-in-law is riding the big silver bird back to Big "D" in Texas.  So I'll be able to start on the wing tomorrow.  Also got to get some piano wire for landing gear. Found a local Hobby Shop that has moved to it's new location. They mostly offer RC car stuff but I talked with the owner and she and her husband hope to expand the offering.  Depends on the market.  I hope to hang a couple of planes to get some interest into stick and tissue models...
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 10:09pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Funny how life throws you a curve... had to replace the car's battery...so no beach, just local shopping. Did finish sanding the vertical fin and rudder, and horizontal stab.

In trying to keep the tail weight down, I didn't use the solid stab ribs as called for on the plan.
I tried the rolled 1/16 sq ribs that adds the curve for the upper rib contour.  Worked very well. (This is where you take the 1/16 stringer strip and roll a round cylinder/tube/the handle of my Xacto blade, on the balsa strip and this curls the balsa, two or three passes and the upper rib shape is formed)   I also used foam on the balsa stab wing tips rather than laminating balsa for the tips. trying to keep the weight down.

I've sealed the foam with the Titebond/water solution.  I 'll sand between coats and make sure it's completely sealed before covering.  I'm not anticipating any paint just orange tissue.  I'll have to double check on the supply of tissue so there may be some delay while I acquire more tissue. 

Pictures later.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print