Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Berkeley Plan Cookup (Read 33264 times)
Reply #86 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 5:24pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, got some more progress on the fiddly bits for the 180.  As Pete suggested, I found a 9.5" peck prop in the stash and added the turned spinner and finished it in the orange Dr. Martin's ink .  So I think It'll look pretty nice in that color. 

I also added the landing lights in the left wing leading edge.  I used plunge molded cones to simulate the lights and painted the backside with silver paint leaving the inside very shinny silver.  In the pictures there's a dark black dot at the center of the lights and I used a drop of black acrylic paint to simulate this.  I tried to glue a strip of plastic to the leading edge, but found it pulled away. You'll notice some of the glue in the picture. 

I also added the landing gear struts over the wire.  These will be painted when the fuselage is painted.  Here's a couple of pictures.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #85 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:25am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Linc...check out post #71 to see the 180 I'll be shooting for.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #84 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 11:19pm

lincoln1   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Maybe it's too late, but I like this Cessna 180K color scheme. Took the pictures in 1997 at Harris Hill. Sorry they're so fuzzy. The color is lousy, too. Maybe I should have gone to a better developer. The orange was quite vivid. I  have views of the front, back, and the left side as well, if anyone is interested.

I don't have any pictures without damage, but here is the model I built based on the pictures, from a Herr kit.
gryffinaero dot com / models / ffpages / ffgallery / rosssev / cessna.html
(Apparently I haven't made many posts to this forum so I can't put in a link yet.)

My favorite Berkely kit is probably one of the Sinbads. Have seen the Super Sinbad done as RC. A bit tricky to fly, but not too bad. Kind of slow, but it thermals. And it has an awful lot of charisma. Or maybe the Sinbad 40. I saw the pics in the Sig catalog when I was 10 or so, which put at least one of them on the bucket list. There is a guy on eBay who sells a short kit for a 50 percent enlargement of the Super Sinbad. Nice wood, though I haven't looked it over all that carefully yet. So many projects, so little self discipline...

IP Logged

Reply #83 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 4:37am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Peck 9.5" will do - if you happen to have one in the drawer.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #82 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 3:49pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, I finished the prop-block and turned a spinner.  I'm contemplating whether to plunge mold the spinner using the turned spinner for a mold.  I'd like to find some nice orange plastic picnic plates to mold it from.  Still not sure what prop I'll use. Need a 10"-er for this according to ROT 1/3rd of span.

pictures to follow later.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #81 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:21am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Dave...the tissue was the really cheap stuff from the Dollar Store!  Great for stuffing gift bags, but not so good for covering models.  I have used some from the Dollar Store that worked ok.  But this was a big flop!

Our Hallmark store closed. Their tissue is of a higher quality.  But I couldn't find any of their stuff in orange at Wally World or Target!

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  The consequences it having to spritz with alcohol and then strip it off! yuckie! Embarrassed Sad

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #80 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 7:28am

cdwebb   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Arkansas

That's some really nice work, Tom. The instrument panel looks like you stripped a real one and shrunk it down. Tissue looks great!

Wonder what caused the blotching on the domestic stuff? Never had that happen before. Was it Easybuilt, or something else?

IP Logged

Reply #79 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 10:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Bob,

I hope to wrap this one up next week.  Really itching to build the SBC-4 Helldiver.  A nice "small" model 16" span that should be pretty simple to build and finish.  Then a jet maybe!

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #78 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 10:05pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, you have really clipping along on your build. Nice job Smiley

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #77 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 6:19pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Got the tissue applied today.  Thought I had enough of the Esaki, surprise!  I didn't have enough white.  I had the short sheet instead of the 24" sheets.  Tried domestic tan... lightest other color I had.  After three tries and two sheets of the long tissue, I tore it all off the top of the wings.  Just not wet strength.  Kept splitting over the ribs when it shrank up.  So I used a sheet of yellow.  I think the orange will cover the yellow just fine. 

I tried the orange domestic tissue but when I spritzed it yesterday it bloched up all over Cry Undecided Embarrassed.  Stripped it off yesterday.  I'm sticking with Esaki from now on.  So gotta order some more!

Here's the pictures...I also found a instrument panel on the net and printed a picture for the cockpit.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #76 - Oct 20th, 2015 at 6:44pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, here's the pictures of the main gear wheels.  Mocked up the components for the pictures.  Worked on the tail gear and laminated the balloon tire for the tail from foam and 1/64 ply  center. 

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #75 - Oct 17th, 2015 at 4:46pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Got some work done on the Cessna.  Finally got the landing gear wire mounted.  Laminated the foam for the wheels to be turned tomorrow.  Mounted the rudder with aluminum strips.
Pictures will come tomorrow.

Here's a picture of the stock tail gear.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 4:23pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, finally feel a bit better, somehow I got a cold with the chills on Wed. just now feeling better. Was able to mount the wing and get it all centered. Put alignment blocks on the bottom center of the wing.  I added 3/32 short ribs to the fuselage to fit the windshield, allowing the wing to be removable.  34" is a lot of wing to deal with transporting.  I think this one will be a good flyer. 

Got a new local hobby shop and it specializes in RC cars but are interested in branching out to other aspects of flying hobbies.  They have a few of the foam electric airplanes.  I talked with the owner a bit and ordered some brass tubing.  They said they'd like to hang a couple models to promote Stick and Tissue modeling, maybe carry some Guillows kits.  Depending on interest, they might be open to other manufacturers.  Hopefully we can stir some interest here in this area.

Back to the Cessna...I got the windshield pattern fitted, just a bit more to trim.  I had the pattern all smooth and looking good and before I could get a picture crunched it in.  So don't mind the wrinkle in the pattern it does fit a bit smoother.

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 6:35pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Nice build you guys..I love the part with "sanding for the next few weeks" ..lol.Those balloon tires always seem to look nice on any plane.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 2:40pm

BillParker   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Houston, Texas

Well no wonder the tail wheel looks so sh*tty on the plan!  I guess I'll just do it their way.  That'll save some time...

I did the gear with pants and no wire.  Another tremendous weight savings...

bp

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com [email protected]
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print