Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Swinging with the long winged 'Simple-Swingers' (Read 13736 times)
Reply #53 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:44pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Fantastic Al,
Nicely done and the clouds do add a lot of drama and visual impact!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #52 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 3:45pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Although, the weather was making some dramatic changes going from about 70 degrees yesterday noon to low 30's this morning, we were able to make a few test flights in the afternoon, capturing some interesting cloud background.  A happy coincidence was it was 12-17-16(Wright bros. flight anniversary) and we were able to celebrate the event with a model plane flight.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 2:52pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

We decided to revisit the project and see if we could get it into the air.  The wing from the LTV-450 which is now the S-24 is proving to be a very versatile item.  So we mated it to the new fuselage with a quarter-A on it, and got the following result.

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 2:38pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

A while back, when we started the 'quarter-A' thread in the UC section of SnT we thought of making a swinger of a small Cox 020 powered FF model that we scratch built as a teenager.  It was based on the "OH-TU' published in Flying Models mag in the mid 1950's.  Back in August we edited the plan to figure out some shapes for this model and got as far as the fuselage and tail.

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 11:15pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

This past Monday, Norma went with me for my eye checkup.  After the eye exam we did a bit of shopping.  Then we had a little flying session.

A few weeks prior we had gone to nearby Sugar Land, TX to visit a hobby shop with an adjacent RC race car track, only to find it shut down and the race track abandoned and overgrown in grass.
http://www.rchobbyshop.com
The race track is further described at the bottom of the following web page.
http://www.rchouston.com/#sthash.lX2aBuWs.nx9Gguk7.dpbs

The planes we brought to fly were the Profile Powerhouse and Guillows Flyboy with a stick fuselage pictured below.

Both flew OK, but because of the bright sunlight and not being familiar with my Fuji camera, Norma  was unable to frame the flights so well  So the models are not so easy to see in flight.  The Profile Powerhouse has some vertical up-n-down due to the breezy weather, but the Flyboy is pretty stable.  However the  goal of our flight was met:  to illustrate the irony of flying a simple 'swinger' in a shuttered hi-tech RC shop and facility.
Powerhouse
https://youtu.be/EkRH6tXY910
Flyboy
https://youtu.be/IknLqIqcHbI
Enjoy,

Al

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 10:06pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, Dave, for your kind comment.  I'm glad to see that the joy of this hobby is returning to you through the building and flying of these swing  control models.  Their simplicity allows them to be flown in a larger variety of places with less need of preparation and complexity that is associated with many other forms of model flight.  And, as you point out the activity connected with the model flying is beneficial to one's physical and mental well being.  I think the Spirit of St Louis will be a good flyer for you.  Let us know how it goes for you.

Al
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2016 at 2:13pm by simpleflyer »  
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 5:18pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Al
Just wanted to let you know, I have been really enjoying this hobby. I have been out flying many times now. It is so hard to get to the rc field sometimes, but it is so easy to walk out the back door and get a little air time in the back yard tether flying. I know I mentioned building a GULLIVER, for rc and tether, but I'm struggling with building 2 of the same airplane. There's a Guillows Spirit of ST Louis upstairs that I am now considering. This is a perfect opportunity for this kit. I don't know which airplane I like better, the red Cloudbuster is heavier/faster, and handles the wind better. But the yellow Cessna is just a floater. It's kind of fun to just fly slow. This Spirit of ST Louis is all stick and tissue, so I guess will end up to be a floater also. And for the record, I was having back/shoulder problems because of sitting at a computer using a mouse all day. Doing this tether flying, and exercising my rt arm/shoulder, has all but eliminated my back problems. Thanks again for the inspiration.
Dave

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 12:46am

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, Tom and Bob, for your comments. 

Yes, Tom, the SS-40 is a wonderful slow flying gentle craft, its main short-coming is its sensitivity to windy or gusty air.

Bob, I'm glad that you liked the videos.  The swing control modes are quite simple and easy to fly.  In these videos, a 8 foot fly fishing pole is being used.  It is a gift from my sister.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #45 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 8:25pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Al, that was the first video of a swing flight for me and I liked what I saw. I now see how its done, what type of pole are you using?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 8:05pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding!!!! Well done Al and Norma!!!!! Smiley That's such a relaxing looking airplane and flies so gracefully!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 6:30pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

This afternoon, Norma and I made a couple of short training flights with the SS-40.  A while back we bought a simple Undecided FUJI digital camera to supplant our aged Kodak.  It has more modern video capability and we're trying to learn to make better videos.  These two videos are today's result.:
https://youtu.be/w0OwOtw31qc
https://youtu.be/-njvuMwz6iw
It was a pretty dark day, so we will try for a more sunny day next time.  Also we are trying to fly by turning around in a circle to follow the model, so the flights a bit short.  We try to end them before we get too dizzy and fall Wink

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 9:45pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, Dave and Tom for your comments.  Although, we had a few unexpected landings due to the gusty conditions.  The damage from these events was minor and easily repaired and the model is back in good flying condition.  Dave, your Cloudbuster is a fine looking airplane and very colorful.  I'm glad that it is a good flyer for you. 

With respect to your concern on the Gulliver's gull wing and low forward fuselage, I think that you are probably right that the string attachment point may need to extend down a bit per C/L practice as you suggest.  On the other hand, since the outer panels appear to be relatively flat it may be worth a try to just connect the line at the wing tip as normal.  My experience, so far, is that the worst outcome would be that of the outer wing flying too high or too low in relation to the inboard wing.  In this case maybe a simple trim tab or warp put in the outer wing panel might even things out Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Nov 4th, 2016 at 6:26am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Just discovered that inside loops are easy to do. Directly overhead or out horozontal. Got to keep the power up. And recovery is a bit tricky. I have an appoint to get to shortly, got to go. But wondering, would I be able to transfer the beginning/start of an inside loop to inverted flight? I am going to try. Put fishing swivels at the end of the pole, along with at the plane. Now the loops do not twist up the line. Although, if I did some outside loops, that would untwist the line? I see a very good reason to build a new airplane brewing here. Just love this sport. Thanks for the inspiration Al. And although not streneous, this does qualify as exersize. Doing repetative loops and wingovers gets the heart going. Got to keep the speed up.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Nov 4th, 2016 at 5:38am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Al
Hope all turned out well for you. One good thing about crashes, it gives me a good exscuse to build another airplane. Cheesy Cloudbuster is all done. And she flies like a dream. Just love this sport. From thought of wishing I were flying, to flying, is about 2 minutes. Walk downstairs and out the back door. And hoping to also be able to fly in the dead of the winter. Was thinking about building an electric rc version of a vintage gull wing design, the GULLIVER. I may also just build one with a slab fuselage, to use as a swinger. Just love the gull wings. Just wondering, because of the very low fuselage of the GULLIVER, and the high gull wing. If she would fly crooked in the sky? But they use those wire extensions on C/L ers to lower the leadouts? Maybe that's the trick. Any thoughts out there?

Cloudbuster_done.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Nov 4th, 2016 at 2:53am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Yeouch!!!! Hope that last pic didn't result in much damage.  Y'all are really getting the juices flowing here.  I've got to get me a pole and get some of these wall hangers in the air!
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print