Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New tether flyer (Read 1706 times)
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 9:45pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, grey78, for your comments and sharing your experiences with swing control.  It's good to see some feedback on this thread.

To quickly try and answer a couple of your questions.  About touch and go landings.  It takes a bit of practice and familiarity with your airplane and  it helps to have a nice not too fast and stable flying model.  We've had pretty good results with T-n-G landings, but have not tried 'carrier' landing.  However, we don't see why it couldn't be successful.

About, the Stiletto.  We looked at your picture of the model.  It looks good and also looks like it ought to fly well, although a bit fast.  You say it seems tail-heavy.  Where is your CG?  Most of my successful models CG is about 20 to 30 percent of the wing chord going front to back.  Our routine correction for tail-heaviness is to add weight to the nose of the model.  But this leads to overall increase of model weight.  A second option is to trim the horizontal tail to want to fly downward by bending the trailing edge up or remounting the hor. stab. with the leading edge angled down about 3 to 5 degrees compared to the wing.  It looks in the Stiletto pic that the wing and tail are 0-0 (parallel to one another).  Lately, we've been building our models with the wing mounted with the ability to be moved fore and aft, so we can bring the CG into a suitable location without having to add much extra nose weight.  Also, when we fly a new model we give it a few tosses over the lawn to see how it wants to go, and make adjustments until a nice straight and level glide is reached.  Finally, when we attach the swing line to the model. it is located on the wing tip at a point slightly aft of the CG.  Hope some of this make sense, and good flying.

SF

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 1:25pm

grey78   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Houston

Here is my Stiletto from Black Hawk Models. I didn't put the Bell crank on but decided to swing it instead. It seems to be tail heavy. Not sure what to do to make it fly more level.

Https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj_cGmNyz7GSkN4Q1l6YWNtUWc/view?usp=docslist_a
pi

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 12:27pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Grey... glad to see you're able to get into the "swing" of things.  Post some pictures for us, please.

Al's the one to fill you in on landings.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:16am

grey78   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Houston

I've been following SimpleFlyer's posts for a long time, and now I've got a Guillow's glider on a tether, a Flyline jet model on a tether, BlackHawk models Stiletto & Mini Hawk on tethers...

Yesterday I got out an old, mostly unflown plastic Cox control line Extra 300.  Today I'm cleaning it up and attaching strings to "whip control"; I'm not sure I'm that coordinated!

Anyway, I'm just excited to be actually getting involved in model planes - I haven't been able to stay excited about R/C, but tether flying fits my attention span, budget, and interest in directly controlling the plane.

How does one get a tether plane to do a nice landing?  Could one do a "carrier" landing with a tether plane, like the u-control Navy carrier folks?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print