HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Kerak's AC Barn (Read 58001 times)
Reply #199 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 3:15pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Been eye-ballin' this little gem for years...finally did it...it's done!  Comet Model Airplane and Supply Company 1933 plan...Captain Page Navy Racer...from the 1930 Thompson Trophy Race, National Air Races at Chicago, Illinois.

She's miniscule...15"ws...but she's a honey.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #198 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 10:06am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I discovered a long-gone blast from the past last night in a stack of old photographs...my Koolhoven FK-58A...constructed from plans found in an old reprint copy of Air Trails Magazine 1939.  I recall hanging it above my middle-son's crib in an effort to induce the idea of airplanes into his head (didn't work).  Date on the photo says "March '78."

Model design was intended for rubber-powered flight, but I can see an empty cowling with a topside opening for a glo-engine cylinder.  The real significance of the model was that it had a retractable landing gear...in this case...it was flown either up or down...but no action "in flight."  I recollect that bending all the various lg parts out of piano wire...and getting them to function smoothly was the real challenge.

31"ws as it seems...bigger than usual.

Seems the French authorities belatedly came to the realization just prior to WW2 that their aircraft industry did not have the necessary production capacity to meet the impending threat from Germany.  As a result they were looking for whatever they could get their hands on.  In this particular instance they contracted with a Dutch aviation manufacturer, Koolhoven...to design and produce a cost-effective fighter aircraft...the FK-58.  As it was, the Koolhoven fighters saw limited combat and were quickly overwhelmed...like everything else French...how NOT to conduct one's own defense.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #197 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 12:07pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

From the past...a real flyer...a Comet classic designed by Ed Lidgard and Carl Goldberg...The SPARKY 1940...32"ws...four strands of 1/8" rubber and 9.5"dia prop (supplied in kit).

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #196 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 5:39pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Hi again, folks...rather than a complete build this time...I've done a renovation of an old friend...'bout a decade or so old.  Decided to see what I could do to revive an old peanut model Buffalo...add a LG and new prop in the process...all with a new theme..."new lamps for old" (Aladdin's Lamp...er, Buffalo).

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #195 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 10:45pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Just completed...thought this would take a bit longer than it did...smooth easy build.  I call it an Akery-OSCAR...that is, a Nakajima Ki-43 I Hayabusa OSCAR, constructed from plans drawn by our very own Tom Akery in 2015...for an Sn'T Cookup of...Tom's Plans!  Been eyeing this plan ever since I found it on the OuterZone site some years ago...Pseudo Dime Scale Tom calls it...we'll just call it dime scale...or standoff scale.  15.5" ws...weighs in at 20.8 grams...represents the Headquarters Chuti of the 20th Sentai Imperial Japanese Army Air Force.  Don't mess with OSCAR.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #194 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 7:55am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Sweet She Is is for all the fantastic models in this collection. I look through them all and think of all the details, methods and ideas you have given us and here they are, all wrapped into one place. i think a book may well be in order, this is my pre-registration.
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #193 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 9:46am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

A miniscule Sterling Models peanut Taylorcraft...from the old Sterling Peanut Double-Kit P5.

IP Logged

Reply #192 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:35am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Tom..."I like hangin' out with you guys...."  Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESv8e3Anjg8

Last photos of this model...in a more traditional setting.  As has been the case with all of us, many of my models have come and gone without any record at all concerning their existence.  With the advent of digital cameras...I vowed that would never happen again.  In fact...I've taken to photographing them in a "similar stance" with the idea of someday preparing a literal book...MY MODELS.   What you see here is the latest page.... Smiley

Neal
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2019 at 3:59pm by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #191 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 11:56pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Are you "asking very confidentially?"...absolutely...SHE'S SWEET!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #190 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 2:43pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

And lastly...finally...the model herself.  Ain't She Sweet! Wink Cheesy Grin

Neal
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2019 at 6:17pm by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #189 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 2:40pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Hello again folks...I'm back with another model for the Barn.  This one is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning...which first appeared in Comet's catalog way back in 1940...went through very few modifications over the years (basically went from 37"ws to 34"ws)...produced until the very end of the company's existence.

I've had this kit in my storage for the past 35 years or so...it even survived a flood at one point.  I've discovered that many modelers have attempted this build...and seemingly...many have abandoned the attempt...or relegated it to "future completion."

A million balsa parts and 35 years later...I've tendered this kit my all.  I'd like to give you a look into "the cook's kitchen."  Here is a photographic synopsis of the event.... Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #188 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 12:08pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Belatedly came to the decision to install an extended landing gear and the "guns," for "Baby's day with the photog."  Smiley Wink  So here she is, slick as the day she went MIA, 19 May, 1944.  "I'm baaaackkkkkk." Cool

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #187 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 5:29pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

With your photographic skill...put the 109 in the foreground and the 17 in the background and the difference in size will be compensated for in camera perspective!  I'm sure it'll look great!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #186 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 12:40pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Decided to re-photograph an old model...another Sterling Models kit...Bf109G-2 with a 17"ws.  Constructed this kit some years ago after a 20 year hiatus from the hobby.  What I recall about its build was the impression I had of how "clunky," heavy the design was...and the fact that after the fuselage was constructed, the provided canopy wouldn't fit!  Had to construct the canopy framework...etc.  Since the original construction, I've cut the LG away...and that relieved a lot of the weight issues. Kit-supplied wheels are usually a definite misfit. The Sterling kit wheels were hard rubber...including the tail wheel! Shocked  Otherwise, the kit was a good place to start a Messerschmitt model.

Just thought it would go well along side the Sterling B-17G...a bit too large for a scale match...but same kit manufacturer, etc.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #185 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 6:20pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

A Sterling kit that has been hiding in my stack for years...constructed in honor of an old friend....  BLUES IN THE NIGHT was a B-17G-1-VE from the 526th BS 379th BG out of Kimbolton, UK...shot down May 19, 1944 on a mission to Berlin.  My old friend Wayne Davis was the aircraft's lone waist gunner on that mission...successfully bailed out and became a POW for the remainder of the war.  This model was built in the likeness of his aircraft on that mission...and as I've already said, constructed in his honor.

Wingspan comes in at 39", weight is in the area of the full-sized BLUES.  Smiley  Markings are as per 42-39783 LF-B.

Neal

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print