Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flying U-Control models as 'Swingers' (Read 5798 times)
Reply #20 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 11:50pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

I asked Norma to take some pix from the outside  of the circle.  These cropped and enlarged images of the P-51 are not clear but do show it flying in a more level attitude.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 11:45pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

OK, back to the P-51.  Some more dihedral is added to the P-51 and the nose is shortened a bit.  The wing drop is reduced, but it isn't evident in the pic taken from the center of the swing circle.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 10:40pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, Tom and Terry for your comments.

Tom, the little P-51 is really heavy for its small wing area.  These little half-A CL models were pretty hefty and relied for fairly strong 049 to keep them flying in a circle at the end of the lines.  Even though we decreased the wood sizes when we reduced the size of the P-51 it still came out pretty heavy.  And these swing models like to fly as gliders so they like ample dihedral.

Terry, the black foam comes from the fresh meat section of the grocery.  Often when Norma buys fresh meat it comes in small black form trays and a lot of the time they are about 3/16 thick, more or less.  About the future of the P-51, first I thought of turning it into a hanger queen for our workbench.  But , curiosity prodded me into trying to get it to fly better.  We removed the nose plate, LG,  and PeeWee ; and shortened the nose a tad;  and put in a Telco Shark for a nose weight.  This lightened the P-51 a bit and also moved the CG back.  Both seemed to improve flight characteristics a bit.  Next, we'll try shortening the nose a bit more and increasing the dihedral.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 8:11pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Simpleflyer,

That's a very sharp looking p-51.  Regarding the foam used for wheels, is it a single sheet 3/16" thick or laminated from multiple sheets?  Will you try anything to improve the flying?

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 7:13pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

My guess is the wing depended on the prop wash for additional lift!  But it sounds like you've got a good handle on the solutions!  Great to see her in the air!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:25pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

It was a bit windy, but the test flight was OK, although the outer wing droops a lot in flight.  My guess is the craft is bit heavy and could use more dihedral and wing area.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:19pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

A couple of triangular shaped side braces are cut from the 3/16 stock and glued to each side of the fuselage behind the nose plate.  A simple tail-wheel is formed from a couple of 3/8 inch discs of balsa glued to a piece of thin music wire and attached to the fuselage.  A loop of thread is taped to the wing-tip and the Mustang is ready for a test flight.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:10pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Shown here are a few of the final steps of construction of the P-51.  The air-scoop is glued to the fuselage.  A pair of 3/4 in diameter foam wheels are put together.  And some scrap balsa is going to be glued together to form some 3/16 stock for the side bracing of the nose plate.

A close-up picture of the wheel building process shows the wheels are cut from 3/16 black foam from a meat tray from the grocer.  The wheel hubs are punched from card stock and glued to the foam.  The punch is made from a scrap of 3/8 brass tubing attached to a scrap piece of wood and sharpened.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 10:33am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've had the privilege of seeing Mr. Hoover do that routine in both those birds as well.  I'll never forget it.  Especially the Shrike Commander's engine out manuvers and taxie up to the stands at the end, complete momentum management !!!! Awesome display of skill and finesse!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 1:13am

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

We are attempting a simple replication in model form of the Mustang in the attached pic.  N2251D was used by Bob Hoover in the 1960s.  It was replaced in 1972 by another Mustang N51RH. 

We attended a Confederate Air Force Air Show in Harlingen, TX in 1976 and had the opportunity to see Bob Hoover fly the Shrike Commander and the P-51.  Both were amazing flights by a man who knew his aircraft and could fly them to the edge of their flight envelope.  One of the experiences that I treasure to this day.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 12:54am

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thanks, Tom, glad you like it.  Actually, the nose-weight is a 40% 049, a 020.  A late night session in the 'paint shop' produced the attached result.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 3:06pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bringing back memories of the early days...Al
I love it.  Good use of a beat up .049!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 11:43pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

The Cox noseweight and mounting plate temporarily attached to the P-51 nose to get an idea of what it will look like.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 11:30pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

The left side doubler is attached to the fuselage.  A simple engine mounting plate is made by laminating three layers of sheet balsa capturing the wire landing gear struts.  The nose weight will be the visual shell of the 020 PeeWee consisting of the cylinder, glow head and crankcase.  The metal crankshaft is replaced by a strip of 1/8 square bass rounded at one end to pass thru the front end of the engine.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2015 at 12:38am by simpleflyer »  

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 12:13am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Can't wait to see this one in the air.  Just something about a Mustang!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print