Quick tether flyer (Read 2826 times)
Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 9:43am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Al...your videos are very inspiring!  Keep up the great work.   Smiley
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 11:50pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Al, you give new ideas for old airplanes that just sit and gather dust in my house. I have been eyeing a certain airplane that has been lingering due to flying area and the constant wind here in Austin. I have been going over your photos of the different builds you have shared with S&T to get a little more help with my first Tether a/c.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 5:03pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thanks, Tom, for your comment.  With Norma's help, we were able to catch a short video of a DD flight, today.  Gives a different view of tether flying the Delta Dart.

https://youtu.be/JnT2nA6NO9g

Next time, we'll try for more time at higher definition.  We've a long way to go at posting videos. Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 10:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Al,
The flying pictures of the Dart are outstanding!!!  Just seeing a plane in the air does something to make it come alive!  I love it!!!!  Well Done!!

Wish I hadn't given away my fly pole when we moved!!  I could have been "Swinging" already!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 10:01pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Grey 78, the delta dart is a good choice for a simple S-n-T tether flyer.  I had not flown one on tether before this afternoon.  There was one in our stash of old models that had been flown with rubber power.  The pictures below show our results.  The prop and rubber stuff was removed.  When we initially flew it, some nose clay was needed.  With the removal of the rubber stuff, more clay was needed to bring the CG to the middle of the wing chord.  A loop of thread was taped to the wing tip and it was ready to fly.  The test flight showed it to be a fine slow stable flyer.  It needs a tad more clay to remove a bit of up and down tendency of the flight path.

Almost any simple S-n-T model with a slow straight and level flight path usually results in a fine tether flyer in my experience.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 7:25pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Al, (Simpleflyer) would know he has converted several kits, plans to fly for tether.

bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 10:11am

grey78   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Houston

What's a good, quick building, slow flying s&t model for tether? I haven't build any in years - I have yet to cover one - but I probably have an AMA Dart lying around.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 1:03am

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

You're correct, grey 78, the foam gliders are a quick inexpensive way for tether flying, but they do fly sorta fast.  For slower flyers, we have success with lighter stick and tissue glider type swingers.

Yes, Tom, it is good to see more interest developing in tether flying.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 6:53pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

great job G78....well done!  Sounds like lots of fun!  Hey Al, it's catching on!!!!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Nov 29th, 2015 at 4:04pm

grey78   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Houston

I taped a length of kite string to a cheap F-16 glider over the holidays. As long as one keeps the speed up, it flies prettily. I'd like to fly something slower, but these easy/fast-assemble gliders fit my schedule these days. Smiley Smiley

tetherf16.JPG (750 KB | )
tetherf16.JPG
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print