Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Pre New age group build idea (Read 57217 times)
Reply #216 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 5:33am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Yikes!  $7.00 a tube (what size?) really shows how the dollar has depreciated.  My quart can of Ambroid, bought around 1972, only set me back $3.40.

Still have about half a pint (never liked the coloration and don't use it on S&T models).

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #215 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 10:09pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I was possibly thinking of using Duco... it's only around  $4 a tube.  But I thin it 50/50 with acetone. 

No contra prop on this one...would like to give a larger model a try with contra-rotating props.  Maybe an enlarged Mixmaster or a Skyshark, or something else.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #214 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 2:37pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I will like seeing the "Mixmaster" come together. Especially with the pusher prop. Any chance of counter-rotating props?
Our hobby shop still sells Ambroid for $7/tube.  I haven't finally decided on the paint scheme. If I go with the 3 originals, I prefer the blue fuselage and yellow wings. However, I might go for a fantasy RCAF scheme. I am going to build in attachment points for the lower wing and the cabane struts, since they aren't shown. I am also going to put in supports to move the rear motor mount peg forward to the last former. And, of course, some wire for the landing gear.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #213 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 1:09pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Nope...but I do have several bottles of white glue!!!! and toothpicks! Cheesy Wink.  I will now remember how long it took to build, waiting for the glue to dry!

IP Logged

Reply #212 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 12:54pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Do you have a secret stash of Ambroid PB??..lol

IP Logged

Reply #211 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 12:53pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

OK... I've gotta do a model "original" style.  Found this one designed by Herbert Weiss between 1938 and 1947.  Being that I don't know the exact date of the design, I'm saying that it's in the "45" area and qualifies.  Been wanting to do this one for a while.  It's the Douglas Mixmaster XB-42. Hope this meets with approval?

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #210 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 8:21am

bigrip74   Online
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Ian, I need one of those hammers to place next to my computer so it will behave. Wink

Cant wait to see this airplane to come together. What scheme are you going for?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #209 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 1:56am

pb_guy   Offline

Back to hammering in pins with my brass hammer. Plan covered with wax paper. Using Ambroid cement. Keel, former and stringer construction. A bit of info missing on the plan, like landing gear and wing attachments and box for exhaust stacks ... Just have to fill in as I go along. I have wanted to build one for a while.
ian

Side1A.jpg (62 KB | )
Side1A.jpg
Side1B.jpg (53 KB | )
Side1B.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #208 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 5:24pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Good start PB!!
So I have my tail bits all covered and doped. Just finished shrinking the wing..let me tell you thats ALOT of wing to cover and very awkward. 1 mishap on the wing..I got the entire thing covered without tearing any paper..then BOOM!! Put a finger thru the top of the center section. Originally when I patched it you really had to look to see the patch. After shrinking it is more noticeable. Hopefully doping will help that out. Still havent covered the fuse due to last minute idea with the landing gear wires where they go inside the fuse sides. Also was still debating on my colors for the fuse.

IP Logged

Reply #207 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 12:12am

pb_guy   Offline

OK. Better late than never. I have started doing a bit on a Comet P6E that I had mentioned earlier in this thread. Just the fuselage formers and bottom keel cut out. Most of the rest of the fuselage is 1/16" square.
ian

formers1.jpg (43 KB | )
formers1.jpg
formers2a.jpg (55 KB | )
formers2a.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #206 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 8:33am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Okay I will try to clarify here..sorry. I never did a Easy Built kit before and this started out as a kit for my nephew at the beginning but he lost interest quick. Their other plans might be great..idk and sorry to say but this one SUCKS!!
The center wing panel can be built on the plan, the right wing tip section can be built on the plan. But the left can't be built on the plan without cutting it up. ( when I say center can be built I mean becuz there is alot of room leftover on the paper, so it visually appears its a whole section)
The wing tips are the same length,but the left one on the paper is 1" longer than the right,due to this 1" being part of the CENTER section.
Here is where the printing smudge on the plan came into play. (The 1" on the left tip could be added to the center section on the plan with no problem instead of having it on the wing tip) Dave says his master copy on the PC doesnt show the big smudge mark..idk. So the big smear led me to believe it was a printing error and it overprinted the extra 1" on the plan. I guess I assumed to much..the smear, extra room on center panel etc.
I added the extra rib to not have to add wash in..but because I had to add 1" of length to the left side,I moved my rib to act as reinforcement to the spliced in area.(which came out nice if I do say so).
So I tried to not make this a Easy Built bashing thread and think I accomplished it. Anne was great on the phone with our replacement stuff due to UPS smashing it. Dave was great on the phone and my 1/32 sheeting was superb.
But this plan deviates to much from the original for my liking. For the cost, original plans should be included also. Or change the name to NEW AGE Wakefield..lol
So I am approaching the finish line..stabs were covered last night, landing gear bent, gunna try some fuse covering today.

IP Logged

Reply #205 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:08pm

Colonel Manfred von Holstein   Offline
Indianapolis, IN

To clarify, is the left half of the wing longer or does it just have an extra rib?

3 rules of Free Flight: Keep it light, don't build heavy, and it shouldn't weigh much.
IP Logged

Reply #204 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:14pm

applehoney   Offline
Ajax, Ontario

>. Basically the original extra rib was to help with turning,

Hmmm ... Another 'modification' from the original... and curiously I've never heard it mentioned before; a more recent amendment perhaps?  Quite unnecessary; the thought was perhaps to hold up the right wing in the power turn, something done just as well with a touch of washin on the inner panel instead.

However moving it to the left wing ... i.e. the left wing is longer/more area than the other  ... may be a concern as that wing is now influencing a right turn which, under full power, might well induce a downward spiral.    If only flying for sport under moderate power this may not be so evident but I really would add 3/32" washin at the tip joint to attempt to compensate.

If maybe an extra inch (?) on that span you're only probably picking up  maybe 5 sq ins of added wing area - depending on chord - which may not make a lot of diference but .. I'd rather be 'safe than  sorry'    Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #203 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 2:04pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Col. left side of the center section has one extra rib on purpose. It was originally intended to be on the right side, but the   mix-up in the plan (used loosely) forced me to move it to the left hand side. Basically the original extra rib was to help with turning, but that has been done away with when I had to move its location.

IP Logged

Reply #202 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:36am

Colonel Manfred von Holstein   Offline
Indianapolis, IN

Gunny, is the rib spacing asymmetrical on the center section of the wing? Hope you catch the feel betters soon.

3 rules of Free Flight: Keep it light, don't build heavy, and it shouldn't weigh much.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print