Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Pre New age group build idea (Read 56316 times)
Reply #231 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 12:13am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I am still working on the P-6e. I put in sockets into the wings to take the cabane and interplane struts. I am still in the process of putting glue supports into the fuselage to receive the cabane struts. I make a jig to hold the upper wing and fuselage out of cardboard. I am making the cabane struts out of bamboo and I intend to make the interplane struts out of hard balsa.
  I know that these things are not in the plans, but they are things that a modeller of that era would probably have done for themselves in order to get a sturdier model.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #230 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 11:18am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Looking good PB! The "busy" always seems to get in the way of building..lol

IP Logged

Reply #229 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 7:12pm

pb_guy   Offline

Regarding the P-6e, I am still contemplating changes necessary to the fuselage to get things to stay together. I put a "platform" to support the stabilizer (first pic). And rather than the flimsy 2-piece stab, I will build a complete stab and glue it to the "platform" I built the basic wings, one pic is of the center section of the upper wing and the 2 lower wings. The last pic is of the mostly completed upper wing. There was no indication of dihedral, so I am considering 5/8" for the lower wings and 1/2 inch for the upper wing. All of this has been done over several days, sneaking in the odd half hour in between being busy doing lots of other things.
ian

wings1.jpg (66 KB | )
wings1.jpg
wings2.jpg (34 KB | )
wings2.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #228 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 11:01am

pb_guy   Offline

Now that looks pretty all put together. Of course I like the twin rudders. And you could even enter it in the Christmas build with the color scheme and extras!  Smiley
ian

IP Logged

Reply #227 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:31am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

It ended up having no power tools used on it. I used a old hand /manual drill for any holes. And apprx. 4 drops of CA. Airbrushed in craft paint,no clear added yet.Also I did use Windex to help with bending the ski tips. Fuse splices had hemp string wrapped on them. Landing wire is hemp also, this gear is only for the ski's not the actual wheels.

IP Logged

Reply #226 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 10:24am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

All done for now. Gotta order a box of rubber still and a prop. But its good enough to post pics. It came in at 5.02 oz as it sits now.

IP Logged

Reply #225 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 12:55pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

The green frog tape is the only stuff I can find to put on doped tissue and not have it rip off. Its probably the best tape for masking I have run across for the price. Even at Wal Mart its like 6.00 a roll..not for the faint of heart. I have been having to hand paint my deco's. Printer saturated the tissue to much, even on a low setting.

IP Logged

Reply #224 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 7:40pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Gunny...
On plastic props I will take electrical tape and lay it out on a glass pane and then with straight egde cut the thin strips I need for masking.  Having once been stuck on the glass it doesn't remain too sticky and paint doesn't wick under the edge.  It's still too sticky for doped tissue in my experience unless you restick it a time or two to take some of the tackiness off.  But for plastic it works well and for narrow strips makes easy curves etc for panels. When doing curves don't stretch it too much or it will pull off and mess things up.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #223 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 1:08pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Thxs Sky..I windex soaked the tips of the basswood, then dunked the tips in hot water for about 3 minutes and bent them on the youngest boys "natural teething pill bottle"..lol it was the only thing I could find that was correct size. The masking on that prop was awful..I am waiting on a resupply of Tamiya tape so I had to cut up blue painters tape into little slivers 1/8" strips. I dont even know if that prop block was possible to 1 sheet cover wet without a ton of wrinkles..I know it was beyond my ability.

IP Logged

Reply #222 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:58am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Gunny...looking good. That prop is something!  I now understand what you were saying about it!!!!  I like the skis Smiley
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #221 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:47am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

A few bits and pieces I can post now. All painted up now. Just odds and ends to do.

IP Logged

Reply #220 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:00am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Still have 1 color left to shoot on the fuse. Airbrush is giving me a hard time of it due to having to shoot my paint quite dry due to using Esaki and domestic white mixed. Also one of my colors was going bad and of course plugged up my brush...Nose block came out okay for covering it wet..but I couldnt cover it in 1 shot..it took 3 different pieces.

IP Logged

Reply #219 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:10pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Prop took me forever to mask today. So many little strips of tape for masking..think I spent longer on the prop masking it than it took covering the whole fuse. Finish up painting on the fuse tomorrow and that should be about it.

IP Logged

Reply #218 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 3:36pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Wakefield Update--- The end of this build is in sight now. Wing and tail surface has been sealed this morning with a matte clear. Whole fuse has been covered...waiting on glue stick to dry up before I shrink it and dope now. I had no intentions of painting ( and with my tissue scheme it really didnt need it) BUT..since the Eze Dope messed up on the green Esaki pieces..I will now be painting it. Gunna snap a photo of what the Eze does on the green if its bubbly. Royally ticked me off because that tissue was tight and snappy. I almost did banana oil but its still to cold out here and even doing it in my paint booth it would have still been fumey.

---Fuse tissue shrunk with no problems, had to prime the stock prop after I fixed it and removed some awful mold lines on it. I can see no way to tissue the nose and have it not look like junk. I may skin coat the  whole nose in putty or try to seal it and blow some sanding sealer and paint it.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2016 at 7:14pm by NcGunny »  
IP Logged

Reply #217 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 9:19am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Its gotta be the newer stuff they made unless the Hobby Shop had a huge pile of it from the 70's/80's formula. They say that Bohning Platinum fletching cement is almost the same stuff. I used some really old Ambroid and I can say for certain it was WAY better than a tube of newer Ambroid I had. BTW..I have lost 4 glue sticks and cant find em anywhere, had to resort to UHU until I can hit up the craft store. Think Gremlins have moved into my bench area.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print