Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
F4u Corsair build cookup? (Read 23649 times)
Reply #81 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 5:15pm

Snaky Stringer   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Well. that worked well. I think it will definitely need more dihedral and probably a new wing, but in the true vintage spirit I think it should have its test flight with something very close to the original.
It could be some time before we get that far.

IP Logged

Reply #80 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 5:07pm

Snaky Stringer   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks

I've downloaded the program so now let's see of it works

IP Logged

Reply #79 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 4:24pm

RJ   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Elizabeth City, NC

Snaky Stringer,

Sorry that I stepped in and posted my own stuff without first allowing a response to your query.

I use a free program called "PIXresizer" to reduce my photos to a sufficient size for upload. IIRC the max size is 400 KB. In any case, I use PIXresizer to reduce my pics to 800x600 pixels. The size seems good for display here, and the KB is way below the max. The program is free, and easy to use. Go here to download it: http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/

There are many other good programs out there.

Richard

IP Logged

Reply #78 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 4:05pm

RJ   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Elizabeth City, NC

I finally got going on my Corsair build in mid-February, and here is the result of my efforts thus far.  I'm using Frank Scott's plan which can be found at Outerzone. Sure would be nice to have a laser cut short kit for this one! Thus far I have found only one error in the plan - former F7, drawn 1/4" too wide.

I have increased the dihedral, built in side thrust and down thrust, and moved the rear peg forward one bay. Otherwise, I have been sticking to the plan. I may add planking between formers F1 and F2, and between formers F2 and F3, haven't decided yet.

I like to work on the more difficult and complex parts first. Accordingly, I built the wing first, then the fuselage and nose ring. Then came the canopy, the part I was most concerned about because I had not made one before. I used the vacu-form method and after four attempts (ahem, test runs) using plastic plates, I finally got one that I am quite pleased with. Most exciting is that the canopy fits like a glove on the fuselage!

Next comes the tail planes, and the many bits and pieces that have to be taken care of before covering. Hopefully, I can move on smartly and get this project done within the next month or so.

I have been told that Corsair's are hard to trim. Would appreciate "hearing" from anyone who has had experience trimming and flying one - What problems did you encounter? Were you able to overcome any problems encountered, and if so how?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2016 at 5:23pm by RJ »  

Corsair.jpg (113 KB | )
Corsair.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #77 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 1:15pm

Snaky Stringer   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Sorry. KB The fingers are not working well tonight.

IP Logged

Reply #76 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 1:13pm

Snaky Stringer   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

It seems my Corsair pic was too big. Is there a trick to reduce the number of KN?

IP Logged

Reply #75 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 1:11pm

Snaky Stringer   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

ddUpdate on progress, which has been slow. Perhaps foolishly decided to cut off original cowl with a view to removing some wood from the formers but after some half-hearted sanding with a dowel wrapped in sandpaper I decided to stick to the original plan as far as possible. After all my TBF Avenger flew fairly well thirty years or so ago with the tiny circular holes. Then I sort of went against my own 'true to the original' thinking by filling in the cowl and top decking back to the cockpit, not completely to my own satisfaction - some filling will be necessary.
The wings were built according to plan with the exception of deeper notches for proposed 1/16 by 1/8 spar, which cunning plan was then changed by deciding to fix the dihedral as suggested on the plan. In spite of little gussets to hold the dihedral angle it looks to me as though further fiddling will have to take place if the Corsair is to have any chance of surviving its test flights. If all goes well I'll post a couple of photos of the story so far

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 8:02pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

NOW! That looks like a
CORSAIR
Tom great job Smiley

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #73 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 5:48pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well got the canopy framework done using blue tissue.  Made the propblock and reverse "S" hook propshaft. Using a Peck nylon button for the bearing.  Had to order a prop, didn't have anything but a small red plastic prop from a balsa stick model that you get at the hobby/craft stores. 

Here's the latest pictures. 

Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #72 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 10:44pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Plunge molding gets the job done and nicely, eventually.  It takes me several tries also before I'm satisfied.  The Corsair's looks fine.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 8:05pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well the foam plug would have worked for a one off, but I didn't get the plastic heated evenly and it wrinkled.  So I had to make a balsa plug and carve and sand it to shape.  Had some difficulty with plastic.  Took six tries to get a good canopy.  The third one was close but "no cigar" as the saying goes.   So I remelted the plastic and finally got a good one.    I need to find some more thinner clear plastic. 

Here's the pics of the attachment.  I'm using Aleene's Tacky Glue to attach the canopy. 

Sky9pilot

canopy_1.jpg (110 KB | )
canopy_1.jpg
canopy_2.jpg (95 KB | )
canopy_2.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 5:04pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks fellas...I wasn't pleased with the black ultra fine sharpie lines and found an old silver ballpoint pen which makes a much smaller line than the silver gelpen I had used on the stab.  I wanted the lines to stand out a bit more so I drew over the black.  I wasn't always completely a solid line but enough to highlight the lines.  Make them stand out a little more than the black.  It's ok but I'll be looking for a grey gelpen .
Sky9pilot

P.S. The yellow nose signified that these aircraft sent to raid Tokyo and the white arrows signified the Carrier Air Group. This particular aircraft belonged to the Bunker Hill.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 8:23am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

terryman wrote on Jan 31st, 2016 at 12:01am:
Tom,

Very nice.  Are you adding highlights to the panel lines or is it just shiny Sharpie ink I'm seeing? 

I always think the arrows are to show which way is supposed to be up  Smiley.

Terry

Terry, nice punch line Shocked.

Tom, I like the yellow on the nose it shows opaque.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #68 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 12:01am

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Tom,

Very nice.  Are you adding highlights to the panel lines or is it just shiny Sharpie ink I'm seeing? 

I always think the arrows are to show which way is supposed to be up  Smiley.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 8:32pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

A bit more work done on the Corsair... still have to make the numbers for the side of the fuselage and mold a canopy.  God a plug carved and sanded out of foam.  Gonna experiment with it.

Here's the latest pics.  The blue rectangle on the cowl is white jell pen on blue tissue.  Same for the numbers on the vertical stab.  White arrows are silver tissue painted white and then cut out as a sandwich of sheets of tissue and the pattern on top.  Using a sharp razor to cut out with a straight edge.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print