Bostillation (Read 7260 times)
Reply #24 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 12:48pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding KF...thanks for sharing the video... Smiley
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 7:56am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

That thing flies great Kitty!! And then to have it land almost at your toes!! I sure do miss the old days of being able to embed a youtube video.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 5:08pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

In flight video of production version.  Not trying for any records here...the video had to be short enough to be sent to my computer from my (old) cell phone.

https://youtu.be/s-XlkEw6bww

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 8:15pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Bostillation is now available from my web site. 

The production version has the original tall tails.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 5:02pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Did some comparative testing between the "long tail" and "short tail" versions of the Bostillation at the Grassy Knoll this morning.  Actually, the Muddy Knoll since the sprinklers were on just before I got there.  Got to remember they run them on Friday mornings. Unfortunately, my Action Cam ran out of battery before I finished (Was also test flying the Wright Amount of Wrong earlier.) so you don't see them flying with the same motor.

Anyway, the videos:

Short Tail
https://youtu.be/9kQNIXT5OOs

and Long Tail
https://youtu.be/FlKtxJ3EOg4

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:57pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Further flight testing of the production version reveals an interesting problem.  The "production" version has shorter tails than the original prototype.  This was because I thought I had gone a little overboard with the tail shape, for charisma reasons, and all he experts in the O.F.F.C. (No, really!  There is, collectively, about 1000 years of modeling experience in that group.) were telling me that my Bostonian had too much tail. 

With this version R.O.G. takeoffs became very sensitive to any turn trim,.  Too much and it would drag a wing tip on takeoff and the prop would dig in.  Not enough and it would fly straight when to motor wound down.

The answer?  Return to the original tails!  Still working on the readability of the plans and trying to get it out next week.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 5:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

KF...looks fantastic.  I'm sure many will be interested.  As far as the print size...I'm "playing trombone" with some of the print on some plans also.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 1:51pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Photo shows production version.  I didn't have the time to decorate this one but the kit will have both red and blue side flashes and wing stripes, and because now the wing is optionally removable, the appropriate color rubber bands.  There were a few minor structural changes and the major effort now is re-editing the plans.  Some O.F.F.C. members that have seen the plans complained that the print was too small to read so I am making a separate assembly instruction sheet.  I have several appointments next week so production versions will not be available until the week of the 22.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:36pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Can you s3nd PM Kitty with amount and specifics..thxs

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 11:41am

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

OK, guys, lets get real.  Barring any unforeseen circumstances (Like my wife being home sick this week) it's going to take me about two weeks (Please note, working this coming weekend, Easter, we're hosting brunch, is out.)  to fully test a production prototype, redraw the working plans into production plans, write and test my instructions, and get all the production decisions in order.  When that's done it will be on the web site.  The target price for the kit is $23.95 (US).

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 8:35pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

kf, send me a PM and i will send $ enough for (2).

bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 8:31pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well done KF.... she looks fantastic in the air!!!!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 7:18pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Bob asked for some photos of the wring out session this morning.  Well, I don't have any photos, but will some video do?

I started out conservatively with lighter rubber just to discover the flight characteristics and establish the turn.  I trimmed it to fly Right/Right, but the turn was opening up as the rubber wound down.  As I said before, it needed no ballast. 

Then I upped the rubber size to see what it takes to get it to R.O.G.  This prototype is a bit heavy, due to all the sheet parts being laminated wood.  The production version will use laminated wood only for the wing tips and tail outlines and should weigh a couple of grams less.  The R.O.G. flights in the video are on a loop of 1/8" flat, Tan Sport, twice the hook to peg length and about 2700 turns.  I finally got it to turn tight enough when the power ran down to keep it off the wall.

The videos cut off short because they were too long to e-mail to myself in their entirety.  I'll have to use the camera that I can download directly to my computer next time, although the Sony Action Cam, controlled by the iPhone in my pocket, makes it so easy to test and do video at the same time.  Of course, I could just go out and buy the action cam software for the computer.

https://youtu.be/uhgbaR5mD20

When it came down it ran under someone's stooge and broke a tail off.  Put it right back on with some CA.

https://youtu.be/sC1TRaA1_gU

Well, if it's not one wall it's another!

https://youtu.be/rk6zzjVesmc

With a few detail changes I think I've got it.  Anyone want one?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:57pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

kf, nice looking Bostonian Smiley still love the 3 tail fins. Photos of the wring out session please.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 7:46pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Here are some pics of it with the skin on.  Once again I designed one that balances without ballast.  O.K., I'll admit, I'm not that good.  I try, and usually come close, but I just got lucky the last three times.  Besides. there will be a few detail changes in the production version and I'm still going to include some clay, and maybe some "ball bearings" in the hardware packet.

It seems to glide well, as far as I can glide it in the house, (there's a 35 mile an hour wind outside at the moment.) but I will get to wring it out at the O.F.F.C. session in the morning.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print