Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Busy Times for Black Sheep and O.F.F.C. (Read 2709 times)
Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 9:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Awesome flight of the PBJ...makes it look easy!!!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 4:16pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

As promised, here is the link to the video of Dave Gee's PBJ flying in the CAF hangar at Camarillo.  Sound effects provided by an airplane taxiing by outside the hangar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClaeIXx4mvQ

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 1:27pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

CD...check out the NoCal section for some of the other NoCal builds and processes.  You'll need to soak some 1/16"sq stringers to get some of the builds and be sure to read the tutorials on Parmodels site for hot bending balsa on soldering irons.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 1:11pm

cdwebb   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Arkansas

Thanks for the link, Tom. I downloaded the Dauntless and the B-25 plans and printed them out. Maybe it's me, they seem more complex than you might think from a first glance. I'll have questions, no doubt, but I've got to try one.  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 2:09am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

CD...I'm not sure if this is the B-25/PBJ plan that he used but Parmodels has the following plan for the NoCal: Click Here mid way down the page.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 11:04pm

cdwebb   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Arkansas

That's a really eye catching B-25 in your last post. What does it span? Was the plan drawn by the builder or is it available somewhere?

I keep looking at your no cals, KF. I'm gonna try one one of these days.  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 9:10pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Oops!  Posted the wrong picture of the blimp.  This one should give you a bit better idea of the scale of the place.

And, a couple more

photo_59_.JPG (125 KB | )
photo_59_.JPG
photo_1_7_.JPG (124 KB | )
photo_1_7_.JPG
photo_1_9_.JPG (105 KB | )
photo_1_9_.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 3:52pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Sounds like it was fun for all who attended.  Thanks for the update and great pictures.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 11:34am

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The Fun Fly and No-Cal contest at the CAF Museum at the Camarillo Airport was held last Sunday.  It was, well, fun.  The hangar we flew in was mostly empty, except for a Hellcat, wings folded, in a back corner.  The other end of the hangar was curtained off to form a restoration shop where a couple of aircraft were in progress.  This still left an area larger and higher than our usual venues and allowed us to have several models in the air without interfering with each other. 

The contest itself was only for models of the aircraft in the museum collection, and a contest for the Peck R.O.G., but there were many other things, from Minnows to an R/C fantasy blimp, being flown just for fun.  The No-Cal contest was won by Don Smith, appropriately, with his Hellcat.  Yes, there were PBJ (B-25) and C-46 No-Cals there which flew amazingly well.  There was some exposed structure high up in the hangar that models could, and did land on, but thanks to Dave Gee's retrieval pole none of them are still there.

I didn't take pictures of all the models there, but there isn't enough room in the forum to post all the ones I did.  Unfortunately, I messed up the video of Dave's PBJ flying.  He may post one someone else took on You Tube.  If he does I will post the link here.

photo_1_13_.JPG (116 KB | )
photo_1_13_.JPG
photo_1_10_.JPG (108 KB | )
photo_1_10_.JPG
photo_4.JPG (98 KB | )
photo_4.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 3:18pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Since I was at Stonehurst for regular meeting anyway I decided to experiment to decide which model(s) I was going to fly for the Spot Landing/Predicted Time contest.  Most of the guys fly Minnows.  The Minnow is a reliable flier both indoors and out, but I am usually a bit contrarian so I decided to try my Bostillation prototype.

Now flying a 14 gram Bostonian out doors is something only done in the lightest of winds.  First I determined what the minimum number of winds to get it to reliably R.O.T. This seems to be 1000 turns.  Unfortunately, that doesn't give it any wind penetration and it gets blown into the ground (I was flying about an hour later than the contest will be started so it was a bit breezy.)  before the 15 second minimum flight.  I put 500 more winds in it and it climbed up above the floodlights at the baseball diamond and even cleared the big trees at the edge of the field, putting in an 80 second flight and just barely getting back onto the field.  Last year I flew my Wright Amount of Wrong Embryo prototype and almost lost it too.  However, with a bit of trimming, I did manage to win the spot landing part of the contest.  The year before I flew my Irish Jumping Bean Bostonian prototype, landed 0.4 seconds off my predicted time and finished 3rd!

Well, I will bring my Minnow, and the Bostillation, and one other model that meets the rules of the contest but will probably get protested if it wins...a helicopter.

IP Logged

Jun 7th, 2016 at 9:54pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

On Sunday, June 12, the Black Sheep Exhibition Squadron will be having a Fun Fly and No-Cal contest in the hangar of the CAF Museum in Camarillo, California.  The museum opens at 10:00 AM and the Black Sheep will be flying from 1:00 to 4:00 PM.  The No-Cal contest will be for models of airplanes in the museum collection.  That's the C-46, PT-19, Fairchild 24F, F6F, F8F, A6M Zero, P-51D, PBJ (That's a Navy B-25), Spitfire, Yak-3,and, SNJ.  The twin engine models can follow the 2, 3, or 4 Off The Floor rules and have up to a 24 inch wing span.  We thank member Arash Afshari who put forth all the effort to set this event up.

On Wednesday, June 15, 9:00 AM, the O.F.F.C. will hold it's annual Spot Landing/Predicted Time contest, outdoors, at the Stonehurst Recreation center in Sun Valley, California.  This contest is open to any rubber powered model.  All flights are R.O.T. (Card tables are provided and contestants may move them to preferred takeoff positions.).  The two tasks are predicted flight time, and spot landing measured from a target placed on the field by the CD. The two tasks do not have to be in the same flight, but all official flights must be a minimum of 15 seconds.  Some of these old guys are really good with the first three finishers in the predicted time event often only tenths of a second off predicted!

Wednesday, June 29, back to Stonehurst again, this time for a P-18 contest in the gym.  Club meeting at 9:00 AM, contest 10:00 AM.  Most will be P-18 Hawks but any legal P-18 design allowed. (Note: Club meets and flies every Wednesday morning when the gym is open.)

Monday, July 4, the annual CBS Studios Fun Fly in an empty sound stage at the CBS Studios in Studio City California.  This is also an instructional exhibition for the guests of the CBS Studio for the 4th of July celebration.  We never know which stage will be empty on that date until we get there, but even the small ones are huge.

July 6 is the regular, monthly meeting of the Black Sheep in Rm 2 of the McCambridge Park Recreation Center, in Burbank California.  the meeting starts at 7:15 PM.

Wednesday, July 27 is the O.F.F.C. No-Cal contest in the gym at the Stonehurst Recreation Center in Sun Valley California.  Club meeting at 8:00 AM, contest at 9:00.  Legal No-Cals only for this one.(Meetings are at 8:00 AM, flying at 9:00 AM while the Summer Youth programs are going on at the center.)

Also, you can usually find some of us on Sunday mornings flying free flight (rubber, CO2, electric, NO glow or ignition.) at the "Grassy Knoll" area, the lumpy area north of Lake Balboa,in the Sepulveda Dam Recreation Area in Van Nuys California. (The R/C area, Apollo Field, is about 3/4 of a mile to the south east, on the other side of the golf course.) If you're in the area, come join us.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2016 at 7:14pm by Kittyfritters »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print