Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Schneider Trophy Cook up? (Read 78853 times)
Reply #457 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 12:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Dihedral is necessary but remember you have two rather large floats hanging below the wing, acting a bit like a pendulum.  You could probably get away with less dihedral.  On a low wing model the ROT is wingtips at or just below the bottom edge of the cockpit. 

Your float plane will be able to get away with just a bit less dihedral.  I still like to use the ROT  even with the floats.  But trimming is still the same except as noted by Don the the tips of the floats.  You might want to have the tips of your floats up (positive incidence) to assist in trimming for flight.

You might want to check out the 10 steps trimming process by John Koptonak Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #456 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:26am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Craig - very well said ... my sentiments exactly.  At the very least, for a greater chance of flying, one MUST put in dihedral into the wings, even though it won't look scale.  I have a 28" Herr "Stearman PT-17" that I would love to actually fly with rubber, but I am finding out that it is a little bit beyond my skill level to trim out a bipe so far ...  Undecided
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #455 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 7:16am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

In reality, on this build it probably won't be a big deal. Keep in mind, I've been into this for less than a year. It occurred to me while taking a shower that there were upsides and downsides to my choices for my first two (simultaneous) plans-builds. I like scale, and I like building, and I like challenges. The S6B and the Berliner Joyce are giving me that in spades. But I'm like a newborn babe when it comes to trimming and flying. A highly-staggered sesquiplane and a floatplane with NO dihedral (and   both with hinged control surfaces on scale airfoils) might be a little beyond my current skill set.
I'm looking at that Herr 30" J3 kit waiting patiently on the shelf and thinking that might be the first thing I get to fly!
And, as an aside- I've given a lot of thought to the dihedral on the Supermarine. This is a complex build (for me) to be doing just from a one-sheet plan. The scale-loving side of me thinks that the short, flat wings on these ac are an inherent part of their art-deco beauty. The lazy, inexperienced, side of me says I'm not ready to start redrawing the plan because EVERYTHING will change. And the pragmatic side of me tells me I'm probably going to spend more time looking at it than
flying it anyway Sad Wink Grin.

IP Logged

Reply #454 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:49am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

You're right, Tom. After a couple of days, it only gave up about .04 grams. I've learned to have enough balsa on hand to do the whole job before I start cutting, Getting 15%-ish shaved out of this already lightly-built float might be a chore.

IP Logged

Reply #453 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:35pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I don't think you're going to get that much evaporation.  I'd recommend lightening the heavy float to match the lighter float.  You could use a rat tailed file or round dowel with sandpaper glued around it. 

Good luck...it's looking great so far!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #452 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 9:26pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Boy! - does that polished spinner ever set that model's front end off !! Smiley  Really nice detail !   Cheesy
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #451 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:53pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thank you! It was some VHT silver header paint I use at the shop- rattle-can cleared on the front half, left "natural" on the prop hub. Pics I've seen of the surviving S6Bs show the hub in raw metal, the spinner polished. Thought I'd give it a crack.

IP Logged

Reply #450 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:14pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

That is downright sexy!  What did you use for the finish on the spinner?  The front in particular looks like turned metal.

IP Logged

Reply #449 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 7:55pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Back in the game- A big ol' box of fresh balsa showed up at last! The Fuselage & floats are finally framed up. I was all primed to do a mock-up of these three pieces, but the rear float struts tie to the wing spar. What you see here weighs 38.1g- it's a pretty big model- the floats are 17.5" long and the fuselage, tail post to spinner point, is 19.5".
Interesting thing- one float has been done for three weeks or so, the other, made from a different batch of balsa (all from Sig, all light), was done last evening and today. The "new" one is nearly a gram heavier (6.41 vs 5.56g) I'm wondering if glue curing will even any of that out?

IMG_6463.JPG (107 KB | )
IMG_6463.JPG
IMG_6464.JPG (130 KB | )
IMG_6464.JPG
IMG_6465.JPG (107 KB | )
IMG_6465.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #448 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 9:21pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Tom - you made me look up "Viking Funeral" ...  Cry   Nooooooo ...
It's too nice a model ...!!     Sad
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #447 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:07pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Tom - that is one
WILD
color scheme !!   Smiley  It really makes me look more closely at the model, noticing all of the different colors and metallics - very striking!! I really like it!  Wink  Nice pics too ...
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #446 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:31pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Don,
Haven't built any float planes for Free Flight...this is my first.  So I appreciate the information and pointers.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #445 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 5:41pm

Don McLellan   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Hi Tom,

I think it looks great!!  Very interested in hearing how it glides and flies.  I've built three float planes and they all were tricky to trim because of the floats.  I got the best flights with the floats tipped up a couple of degrees relative to the thrust line. 

Don

IP Logged

Reply #444 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 8:03pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Craig...that quote is sooo fitting! Grin Wink Cool

IP Logged

Reply #443 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:02pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

BTW, I think your model is gorgeous! I remember a line related to my trade, by one of my favorite car and bike writers, Peter Egan. I think I can quote it almost verbatim, and it sort of fits: "Driving a car you restored yourself is like being an orthopedic surgeon with x-ray vision. While everyone else is admiring the patient's new hat, all you can see is the poorly healed clavicle."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 32
Send Topic Print