Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spirit of St Louis tether flyer build (Read 4770 times)
Reply #21 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:42pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

She's a beauty Dave...well done, hope to see flying pics soon!!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 3:56pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Nice, Dave, looks like it should be a good flyer.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 2:18pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Well, I'm just going to consider her done. Need to fine tune the CG a little more. I don't need the wing struts for flight, and they just add weight, so there out. Tether flying here we come.

100_0309.jpg (74 KB | )
100_0309.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 3:29pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Came back inside, and thats when I made this bracket to lower the attach point. Now it sits level in flight. When I was building the plane, I tested it for the attach point. From the underside of the wing, the outboard wing hung out. From the control line attach point, the outboard wing hung in. I only needed to be about 1/2" down from the root of the wing. As I was building the plane, is when I came up with this bracket idea, and put the plywood inside the wing to plan ahead for this. I really did not want to mount from the side of the fuselage with wire leadout guides at the tip. This metal bracket is a little unsightly, but from the side view angle from where I see it when flying, I hardly notice it. And it was very easy to do. I also like the adj holes in it, further back seems to keep the nose out. I don't know if I have free flight goals for this airplane anymore. It is still capable of it, but I think I would like to keep it in one piece, and enjoy it as a teather flyer. Time to get her done. Not looking foreward to doing a fake engine, but I imagine it will really add to the looks. I'm thinking of gluing a paper sleeve around a dowel wrapped with wax paper. Then wrapping and gluing string to it in a long length. Then sliding it off the dowel, and cutting sections in the chop saw or band saw? Then coming up with valve covers and pushrods somehow quick.

100_0291.jpg (119 KB | )
100_0291.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 3:10pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Maidened the Spirit of St Louis teather flyer tonight. Stuck a bolt with some washers on it in the nose, and taped it in place. Originally just taped the string to the underside of the wingtip. And ended up with a floater and 1/2. The outboard wing rode high as expected. And when you come around the circle directly into the wind, you can bring it almost to a standstill. It was technicaly a little breezy. But when she stalls, and the nose drops, better get on that pole fast, and get your speed back up. Overall, as a teather flyer, I am very happy with it.

100_0292.jpg (117 KB | )
100_0292.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 12:23pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

I quess the shine has thrown you a bit of a curve ball. It is just silkspan with several coats of nitrate dope. Fortuately, I still have a stash of silkspan, that I still use on my smaller stuff. I'm thinking of a flat grey primer on the fuselage, and a flat silver on the nose (rattle cans), to simulate aluminum pigmented dope and aluminum that was used on the actual aircraft. Sprayed then with clear satin. I use Ceconite (fabric for ultralites) with nitrate on my larger RC. It heat shrinks, and I can still use nitrate. What I like about using nitrate dope is, I can use any paint (rattle cans, custom hardware store mixed latex, or craft paints) on top of it, which gives me total control of what exact color/sheen/distressing I want. I realize this method of finishing is heavy. But I love to give the airplane a certain look. I did a Tex Neman Dragonfly build over on RC Groups, that I wanted to look vintage. In my opinion, the airplane looks 40 years old the day I built it. I have total control over whatever I want to do finishing this way.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 11:45am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Dave, what type of covering are you using? It looks interesting. Smiley

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 9:41am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Moving along. Once I glued the top plastic nose piece in place. It was allot easier to fit the lower section. Because the top was not moving around. Think I'll finish the wing mounting bolts, then start the wing struts next.

100_0290.jpg (69 KB | )
100_0290.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 3:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looks like you're making great progress.  The vacuumed formed parts can be a real challenge to get them to fit properly.  Hang in there.  This is why I don't ask for patience, something like this pops up immediately! Cheesy Grin Wink
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 6:39am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

These plastic parts on the front are a real pain. There is only about 20 trial and fit attempts to get them to this point. I doubt they are ever going to fit right.

Picture_121.jpg (144 KB | )
Picture_121.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 6:34am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Been slacking on the pictures. Getting there. Might start covering today.

Picture_120.jpg (88 KB | )
Picture_120.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 11:12pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Curious as to where I am going to mount the teather attach. Out at the wingtip, or at the side of the fuselage where the control lines could have been? With the wire leadout guides out at the wingtip, just like the control line option. Hoping to get it to sit a little more level in the sky. I may build it with both options just for experimental purposes. With removable wires at the tip for the control line location attachment. We'll see. Part of the help with building this time of the year. Doesn't matter what glue/finish/epoxy you are using. Put it on top of the coal stove, 5 mins, its totally dry. And this build will shortly start to slow down. Building the bones is easy, all the little things are what take forever.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2016 at 4:30am by DAVE Q »  
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 9:29pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Looks good, Dave, and is coming together quickly.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 4:08pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW this build is coming together fast!!!  Well Done! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 12:13pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Boy, you are really doing a fast job with this build! And the triangles are very useful. I cut a bunch out of styrofoam sheet triangles when I need them and pin them to my building board. I have no suggestions for dihedral.
ian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print