Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutting accurate notches in formers (Read 2056 times)
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 2:23pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Tom - I am now using the notch sanding method except I found a craft file that was a bit over 1/16 thick and sanded it down to 1/16 on some paper designed to sand stainless steel. Got it at Lowes. Thanks again to all for your help.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 10:47am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I usually use the notch sander method but wait for the stringer to be placed on the model because some of the notches on the formers don't always line up.  I'm then left with modifying the notches and filling in the space left after getting the stringer straight.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 3:11am

John Webster   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Painesville, Ohio

Many years ago when you bought a Cleveland Models kit it came with a piece of 1/16 X 3/8 x 4" hardwood and a strip of 1/16 wide sandpaper. You glued the back of the sandpaper to the narrow side of the hardwood strip and used that to sand the notches.

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 6:32pm

faif2d   Offline

Stick & Tissue
texas

Here is a notch cutter I made with a small portion of double edge razor blade.  It seems to work well if you cut the notches on the bulkheads while they are flat.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 10:37am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

This is from HPA (KI 61 Build reply #26)
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20832.25

If you are not able to login here is the comment in that article.

quote [Here's a "trick" to adding stringers on a model. No matter what, the marked stringer notches will never "line up" properly after adding formers to the fuselage box.
Solution, notch ONLY the first and last formers in a stringer run. Get a flexible stringer and install it in those notches allowing the stringer to touch each former.  "Eyeball" the stringer for a smooth run and adjust it so that the contour is perfect. Make "tic" marks with an Exacto on each side of the stringer at each former, now file the stringer notches between each tic mark (I use a Swiss File for notching). Glue the stringer in place, alternating sides to keep the fuselage true and symmetrical.
The result will be the smoothest stringer job you have ever performed.] quote

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Dec 28th, 2016 at 9:14am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Looking for any tips for cutting accurate notches in bulkheads, formers, etc. I build from plans only and this part has been a problem for me for some time.

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print