Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Indoor Flying With The O.F.F.C. (Read 17865 times)
Reply #94 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 2:28pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

OFFC meetings and contests are postponed until further notice due to the virus situation.  The park gyms and all other available venues are closed.  The building season has been extended.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #93 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 10:47pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

On the morning of February 26th the OFFC once again held one of the most popular and fun contest events on its schedule, the Delta Dart Build on Site contest.  Our esteemed Black Sheep Squadron President, Dave Gee, provided the materials and building boards for the mad scramble to build the models in the hour before the contest.

Of course, when Dave prints up the plans/skins for Delta Darts he can’t resist having a bit of fun with the markings!  The contest was for the total of the best two attempts so there was a constant trimming effort during the contest and the times got better as the contest went on.  The end of the contest was the traditional Delta Dart mass launch. 

The results were:

1. Bill Watson......................82.0 Seconds
    2. Don Butman....................77.3
    3. Dave Gee........................73.6
    4. Barry Daugherty...............66.6
    5. Howard Littman................58.9
    6. Will Woods......................53.9
    7. Don Smith.......................33.7
    8. Kurt Young........................9.8

The mass launch winner was Dave Gee.

(77 KB | 10 )
Ddart2019_20190327_101011_001.jpg
(71 KB | 12 )
Ddart2019_3.JPG
(114 KB | 10 )
Ddart2019_4_001.JPG
(292 KB | 10 )
006_smaller.jpg
(178 KB | 9 )
Ddart_2020_annotated.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #92 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 10:44pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

On January 29 the OFFC Minnow contest was held at Stonehurst.   Five contestants participated.  Some of the models were new builds and some had been flying for over a decade. 

The results were:

1.      Bill Watson                                    206 seconds
    2.      Don Butman                                  120
    3.      Will Woods                                    106
    4.      Howard Littman                               77
    5.      Don Martin                                      45

Bill Watson was CD.

I would have put the group picture on this post but we can’t seem to get it off Barry Daugherty’s phone..

(199 KB | 8 )
051_SMALLER.jpg
(180 KB | 5 )
053_SMALLER.jpg
(173 KB | 6 )
054_SMALLER.jpg
(192 KB | 6 )
055_SMALLER.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #91 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 2:40pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

At today's O.F.F.C. meeting the 2020 Directory and Contest Calendars were distributed.  The Contest Calendar is as follows:

Date           Event                               CD Name                   
Jan 29        Minnow                            Bill Watson                
Feb 26        Delta Dart (Built on Site)    Dave Gee                  
Mar 25        Embryo                            Will Woods                
Apr 29          No-Cal                            TBS*                         
May 27        Dime Scale                      Joe Whiting
June 10 Outdoor Spot-Time Dave and Ralph
Jun 24 A-6 Howard Littman
Jul 29 Peanut Scale Dave Gee
Aug 26 RTP Rubber Speed Jim Leuken
Sep 30 Legal Eagle TBS*
Oct 28 One Design Bill and Dave
Nov 25 P-18 Paul Avery
Dec 30 R.O.G. Unlimited Ed Slobad (FBTG)

CD will issue rules for each meet, possibly with customized requirements.  No griping!
Dissenters invited to volunteer as a CD next year.

Other unlisted events are possible. Anyone requesting another event will be CD for that event

TBS* indicates that the CD for this event will be shanghaied from the membership.

There was quite a bit of discussion about the RTP speed event.  It looks like there will two classes, Unlimited and Racing Plane Profile Scale.  The profile scale event will be No-Cal models but with all sheet construction allowed.  Another possible rule for the profile scale class is to have all models use the 5 inch, Guillow's, red prop.  This would keep the speeds in the 25 mph range.

We shall see...

The Minnow contest is next week.

IP Logged

Reply #90 - Dec 23rd, 2019 at 7:22pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

ED SLOBAD MEMORIAL ROG UNLIMITED CONTEST

Since it is open to any rubber powered model that can ROG this is always one of the more interesting contests of the year.  You never know what kind of model that people will bring.  There were designed for the job models, P-18s with landing gear, Legal Eagles, and even an Embryo. 

Bill Watson and Jim Leuken brought designed for the job models.  Bill flew away with it, to no one’s surprise.  Jim got some tough competition from the Legal Eagle and P-18 fliers.  There wasn’t a dull moment with models in the air right to the end.  This was a fitting end to the OFFC ‘s 2019 year. 

At the meeting, the contest schedule for 2020 was finalized.  We’re short CDs for three contests but we can Shanghai members as needed.  OFFC members will get the contest schedule with the 2020 directory.  The contest for January is Minnow on January 29th.

The contest results were:  (Best single flight)

1.      Bill Watson            Own Design            186.0  seconds
2.      Paul Avery            Legal Eagle            111.0
3.      Don Butman            P-18                     97.0 
4.      Jim Leuken            Own Design               88.0
5.      Howard Littman      Legal Eagle               83.0
6.      Joe Whiting            Legal Eagle               76.0      

(391 KB | 16 )
ROG_2019_Group_Annotated.jpg
(252 KB | 8 )
ROG_2019_Joe_W_Embryo.jpg
(288 KB | 10 )
ROG_U_2019_Paul_A_Legal_Eagle.jpg
(90 KB | 8 )
ROG_2019_Don_B_P-18_small.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #89 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 11:55am

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

I didn't witness the P-18 contest because I had to leave right after the meeting but do have the results. 

So, without the usual drama, the results were.

1.  Pete Basone               209 seconds
    2.  Don Butman               195
    3.  Will Woods                 194
    4.  Bill Watson                 187
    5.  Don Smith                  175

Don Butman's other P-18 flew 185 seconds.

The next contest is the Ed Slobad Memorial ROG Unlimited, open to any rubber powered model that can ROG, next Wednesday.  Here you can find anything such as Penny Planes with landing gear.  Fun!
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2019 at 1:03pm by Kittyfritters »  

(244 KB | 15 )
p18_contest_2019_Annotated.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #88 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 12:05pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW...lots of activities...great stuff, I look forward to the reports.  Thanks KF!!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #87 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 11:17pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The November 27th P-18 contest was rescheduled to December 4th.  This was due to the weather being so bad that it would have been dangerous for many members to drive to the meeting!

December becomes a very busy contest month with the P-18 contest on the 4th, the Black Sheep Squadron's Pearl Harbor NoCal contest on the 13th and the ROG Unlimited contest on the 18th.  This last because there will be no meeting on the 25th.

Keep 'Em Flying!

KF

IP Logged

Reply #86 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 5:48pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The O.F.F.C. NoCal contest for 2019 happened on October 30.  Unfortunately, there were a few astonished, "The contest is today?" remarks at the meeting and there were only 4 entries. The four of us that did fly had a lot of fun.

Now. Pete Basone and I were trimming models we expect to fly in the Pearl Harbor NoCal contest in December so he had a Zero and I had a Brewster Buffalo.  Bill Watson, for some reason, probably because it was appropriate to the Black Sheep Squadron, and the model would be displayed at the AMA EXPO the following weekend built a Corsair.  Don Butman, the CD for the event, brought a high winged Farman with a big barn door of a wing.  With the 12 gram minimum weight and all the fighters flying gear down you could easily predict the winner.

The contest was for the total of the best two flights out of five attempts.

The results were:

• 1.   Don Butman           Farman             13 grams         159 seconds
  • 2.   Bill Watson             Corsair              12 grams         134.7
  • 3.   Howard Littman       Buffalo              12 grams          77.8 
  • 4.   Pete Basone           Zero                 14 grams           52.4 

Winn Hammer brought his Zipper, not really legitimate since it is a model of a model, but he couldn't get it flying well enough to compete.

The November 27 contest will be a one design, P-18 Hawk, with a stock North Pacific front end.  (Yes, we have a supply of them.)

(268 KB | 17 )
010_Smaller.jpg
(254 KB | 18 )
009_Smaller.jpg
(363 KB | 16 )
006_Smaller.jpg
(329 KB | 22 )
013_Smaller.jpg
(361 KB | 21 )
025_Smaller_Annotated.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #85 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 3:20pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Sounds like fun, I eagerly await the report on the event!

IP Logged

Reply #84 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 12:28pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The NoCal contest gets more interesting.  Rules specify a 16 inch span (Legal) NoCal model but with a 12 gram minimum weight.  Fixed landing gear with rolling wheels required, no drop off gear, and all flights must start ROG.

KF

IP Logged

Reply #83 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 1:18pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The One Design contest, for Mini-Sonics, went off, as scheduled, on September 25.  There was a good turnout with nine entrants out of the twelve kits sold.  (I could not find my model!  It's in my shop somewhere.)  The nine entrants got their dough back.

The contestants, flying what is essentially an outdoor model indoors, still achieved remarkably good times with seven of the nine models posting times over one minute.  The contest was decided on the best flight of unlimited trys so there were few moments when there were no models in the air.

The results were:

1.   Pete Basone             83.7 seconds
    2.   Don Butman             80.7
    3.   Joe Whiting              79.5
    4.   Bill Watson               74.5
    5.   Don Smith                66.8
    6.   Jim Leuken               64.8
    7.   Bill Blanchard            62.9
    8.   Wade Wiley              44.0
    9.   Wynn Hammer          11.6

CD(s)    Bill Watson, Dave Gee
Timer     Howard Littman

The next contest will be on October 30, for No-Cal models.  Don Butman, wizard of No-Cals, is the CD and he has come up with an interesting set of rules including ROG from, rolling wheels, required.  Since the annual Pearl Harbor No-Cal contest will be the next week there are many Pearl Harbor eligible models being tested with landing gear.

(343 KB | 14 )
049_smaller_annotated.jpg
(305 KB | 19 )
055smaller.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #82 - Sep 27th, 2019 at 5:07pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The contest for August was Phantom Flash.  Embarrassingly enough, I didn’t get to the contest until the very end.  And, not knowing how long my prior commitment would take, I didn’t bring my model.  Neither did a lot of other people and the contest was between our usual three stalwarts, Bill Watson, Jim Lieuken and Don Butman.   They finished in that order.
I took a picture of the score sheet and a picture of the group at the end.  However, when I got home I could not find those pictures on my phone, so I don’t have the detail times or the group picture.  Mia Culpa!

The next O.F.F.C contest is the One Design the design in question being the Mini Sonic.  A dozen members bought kits and we will see how many are flown in the contest.  Incentive to finish and fly is added because the contest is a do-back.  It was to be held on Wednesday, September 26 but was postponed to Wednesday, October 2 due to floor work in the gym.

IP Logged

Reply #81 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 12:12am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding report and I wish I could have been there.  I'm sure there was a lot of strategy discussed by all on "how to" for next time.  Thanks for keeping us informed!!!

IP Logged

Reply #80 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 10:04pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

RUBBER PAYLOAD CONTEST - AUGUST 14TH

If not the best attended OFFC contest it was certainly one of the most fun.  Everyone agreed that we will have to do this one again.  There were only two entries, Bill Watson and Jim Leuken.  Now, that may not sound like much of a contest but everyone there was fascinated and many more will participate the next time. Bill and Jim took two different approaches to the problem.

Bill took the high camber airfoil approach.  His model was sturdy but only weighed 10 grams and had a low wing design reminiscent of a 1930s ROG model.  He installed a small keel, under the wing, to attach the clay payload, keeping the CG centered.  His motor was 1/8” flat, tan rubber, as required by the rules, and the final motor weighed 2.4 grams. The last flight lifted 25.6 grams of clay.

Jim’s approach was a high winged, contemporary ROG type model with a pylon, tip dihedral and an airfoil with a very small camber.  He wrapped the clay load around the pylon to maintain the CG position.  His last flight, with essentially the same motor as Bill’s model lifted 25.3 grams of clay and might have lifted more except he ran out of time.

This contest was more closely fought than would appear with only two contestants.  The biggest problem was getting the heavily laden models to turn inside the gym.  There were many flights that did not lift off and became high speed taxi runs.  Several flights did not make the 20 second minimum (leading to an observation that ’20 seconds can be a long time’).   And, of course many flights ended against the wall.  Hitting the ceiling was not an issue here.

This contest was a successful experiment and it was agreed that the next time there will be many more contestants.

The next contest is Comet Phantom Flash, plan stock except for thrust button, prop shaft and prop, on August 28th.

(363 KB | 17 )
Bills_Loader_1.jpg
(198 KB | 18 )
Bills_Loader_2.jpg
(349 KB | 21 )
Jims_Loader.jpg
(321 KB | 19 )
Load_Contest.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print