Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
THE CONTROLINE FEVER (Read 9625 times)
Reply #32 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 8:42am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

The wire supplied with the kit is too small in diameter for my tastes, after Ive already installed the kit wire I applied another peice to all LG with thread CA and fiberglass and Sigment.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 7:22pm

jwwasham   Offline
Go Lemmings, Go!
Oklahoma, USA

Good work on the wing, Bob! Smiley

The rest of it will go fine.  Have faith in yourself.  We do!  Can't wait to see more.

Have fun
John

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want.
"Simplify, then add lightness"  Colin Chapman
A closed mind is just a useless weight on the shoulders.
IP Logged

Reply #30 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:53am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Sky9pilot wrote on Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:40am:
Looking Good Bob...gonna be a great looking wing!
Tom

Now if the booms, center pod, stab, and rudders all go together without this much trouble. Ill be OK!

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:40am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking Good Bob...gonna be a great looking wing!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 10:47am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Dave, I cannot wait to see your photos of the STUKA. Did you fly stunt? I could not fly aerobatics only racing and combat, stunt was too slow for me, but WOW! those who did could amaze me with their graceful maneuvers.

Here are photos of the P-38 wing:
1. My super expensive jig.
2. MY FINISHED WING! Cheesy ( all is needed to finish is to plane the LE into shape)

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 8:34am

DAVE Q   Offline
Global Moderator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Bob
You hit the nail on the head, this is how I do all my builds. Jigs, don't need no stinkin jigs. I use blocks of homosote/softwood, so I can pin the blocks to the building board, and then be able to pin into the blocks. For the wing only. I guess in a way, the blocks are a jig? I cut the right sized blocks and shim the LE and TE into place, and work from there. You can even build in washout if you want (RC). I use 2 right height blocks under the horo stab, and 2 squares clamped to either side of the fuselage, with a Ziploc bag full of rice coal for weight, to glue the horo stab in place. Use another square along the rear of the horo stab, and down the side of the fuselage to get it in place. I then use 4 of the right height blocks, 2 under the wings, and 2 under the horo stab, (2 different heights) with a bag of coal for weight, and the wing and horo stab have to line up. A little tape measure or string action from the tips, to the tail to line them up. Held with the fuselage up off the table. And then 2 squares on either side of the vert stab from the horo stab, and Iv'e never had a misaligned airplane. I will be honest, there is a table saw in the basement helping me with all this. Gonna dig out that Stuka, and finish it up. I'll post some pictures of it.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 10:32pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, where was your wonderful jig template a couple of hours ago. Wink I had a brain storm and placed 1/2 x 1/2 sq. balsa under the
LE
then 1/2 x 1/2 sq. balsa plus (3) shaped
TE
to form a 3/8 sq. under the
TE
then pinned the
TE
to its jig. I finally slid the ribs in place @ the
TE
and
LE
, put dabs of Sigment on top of the ribs @ both the
TE
and
LE
also the spar. I am now so proud of myself my head cannot be in the same room as I Grin

My main goal was to get you guys to Austin Shocked, but finally the getting wing together after (2) weeks of trial and error, ordering replacement balsa to replace that I destroyed on the first attempt.
EUREKA!
I really did put this retched Angry wing together.

Bob
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2017 at 10:30am by bigrip74 »  

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 10:00pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bob,
Got any foam board from the Dollar Store?  Make your self a Jig from that.  Just big enough for one panel then flip it over and do the other panel.  It wouldn't need to be too sophisticated to work.  Cut the slots for ribs with a hacksaw blade or two stacked together for rib thickness.  I drew a quick and dirty drawing in Paint. But couldn't get the two strip closer together  so just keep them just 1/2" or so apart. Just a thought. 
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 8:28pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I don't think a jig will help much. I need (6) more hands, Cheesy Shocked Grin anyone up for a trip to Austin, TX?

Cannot line up the ribs with both the LE and TE and line them up evenly front to back. Tongue

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 5:11pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Brenda, if you are watching here is my P-38 wing.

What were you steps in constructing this wing? Ive settled on a jig (not built yet) to build that 1/2 x 1/2 LE and 1/8 x 1/2 TE with out warps and at a true square.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 4:44pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Dave, move that
CL
park here so I can fly what is on my building board.

STERLING 1/2A
P-38
AeroWerks short kit
CARL GOLDGOLDBERG BUSTER kit from simpleflyer (.35 or .40 not decided yet.)
GUILLOW
PROFILE BASIC TRAINER III
plan (Fox .35)
SIG
BUSTER
kit (Super Tiger G15)

Brenda had kept the
CL
section active in the past with her great videos, Ive got to find a camcorder and hat clip like hers.

I would love to see any photos you have of your Stuka and  any other CL airplanes posted.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 3:15pm

DAVE Q   Offline
Global Moderator
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Bob
Glad to hear your getting into CL. Glad to see the CL thread come alive. Ironicaly, about 2 weeks ago we had an unusually warm day here in Pa., and I l flew CL for the first time in about 30 years. I have a beautiful CL park only about 15 minutes from my house. It's online, The Flying Dutchman. Odd name, they get a whopping $10.00 per year for membership. I have a Stuka half started in the basement, mind if I start a thread and finish it with you? Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Dave

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:04pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Lionel, Thanks for the help. There are no more FF or CL clubs here in Austin, Texas ( Cry). I will give the link a try.

Bob

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 11:40am

Lionel   Offline

Umkomaas, South Africa

No we dont fly TQR here in South Africa. I will have a look who makes venturis for the K&B in the U.S. and let you know.

Try Lee machine Shop for the venturi, I see they are $10.00 and you will also need a spraybar and needle which they may have or be able to tell you where to get one

Model aircraft: The only sport where dope is not only legal, but often recommended.
My workshop is like a time machine, I go in for 5 minutes and come out 3 hours later.
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 11:01am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Lionel, is TQR flown in your area? And does anyone turn or machine venturi's for .40's?

I found this Supre Tiger .15 for the Goodyear.

Bob

EG3322A.jpg (27 KB | )
EG3322A.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print