Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Focke Wulf FW 190 teather build (Read 1448 times)
Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 10:56pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The 190 looks great!  Plus the sunshine is what I'm looking forward to. Got a glimpse of a little today.  Hope to see more of it soon!!! Keep her flying!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 7:03pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Nice pictures of your FW 190 flying in the snowy weather.  I'm glad that warmer weather is returning to our part of the country.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 7:48am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Here I managed to push the button and keep swinging my arm. I don't know if it's the low wing designs, or now that I'm making them more nose heavy, these low wing designs fly great. There is actually a fair breeze going here, and this one flies rock solid.

100_0367.jpg (123 KB | )
100_0367.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 7:43am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

I've been finding out, if the models are nose heavy, their much more stable. Went over to the junk bin, and found a large washer that pushed into the cowling just right. She was way nose heavy. Taped the nose on and test flew her, and she flies just great. Kind of in a bit of a dive here. While messing with the camera, I forgot to keep swinging my arm.

100_0366.jpg (42 KB | )
100_0366.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 7:39am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Well, 10" of snow on the ground, what is a guy to do. I know, lets go teather flying. I located the dog path so it crossed the center of the yard.

100_0365.jpg (93 KB | )
100_0365.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 7:35am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Well, finally got around to finishing the Focke Wulf. Went to easy built models website and researched chalking. Tried several attempts, and this is something you don't just succeed at. Then I noticed the yellow paper in the kit was darker than my bargain tissue. So I decided to use it. I don't know why, I was stuck on the camo scheme descibed on the plans. Not really impressed with this one, it just doesn't pop. Might just rattle can the whole thing primer grey, and put some German insignias on it again. I keep telling myself, this is the dessert scheme.

100_0371.jpg (143 KB | )
100_0371.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 11:38pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Dave,
I've not personally chalked tissue.  I do have an airbrush and compressor and if I'm going to do a camo scheme I usually use the airbrush. 

Easy Built Models has a section on modeling tips here's a link to their chalking tissue: Click Here
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 3:18pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Tom
Been delayed with a picture frame for Moms birthday Friday. 12 picture frames inside one large frame. One for each month of the year. Won't be done, she's used to it by now. Or if it is done, it's still wet, can't touch it Mom.

I had bought chalk to try that idea of chalking. If I do chalk the back of the yellow with some brown, can I still use Easy dope on top of that, after installed? I thought I remember reading using light coats of Krylon, or something like that when chalking. Guess I'm going to try to stay away from a yellow cowl, because I just did that with the teather Stuka. I'm trying to stick with the blue belly, because I forgot to do that on the teather Stuka like I wanted. I do like the grey/black scheme you just sent. Can I cover it in grey, give a light coat of easy dope, and smeare black chalk around on the outside of it to give it that look? And then put on another coat of easy dope over it? At the rate I'm going, I'll be retired before it's covered. Thanks for the Wing Palette link, really cool. Never knew it existed.
Dave

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 1:20pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I think you'd be amazed at how fast the covering will go.  I think you'll like the blue on the bottom and the yellow with some brown pastel chalk on the back will cause the yellow to tone down the bright yellow tissue. Or you could apply the blue tissue over all and add grey tissue from The Dollar Store. This tissue would be fairly easy to apply over the yellow or blue to get the camo scheme you'd desire.  A little glue stick and apply dry with gluestick on the bottom smoothed out from the middle to the edges.  Check out Wing Palette for camo schemes: Click Here
Here's an optional camo scheme just blue and grey. Yellow cowl.
Tom

2_45.png (27 KB | )
2_45.png

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 3:54am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Tom
Thanks for the link. Yes I have seen this, nice job. I like to do a decent job on my models, but on the other hand, I don't want to retire on them. I only have about another 48 airplanes on my to build wish list. I think I am going to cover the belly in light blue tissue. Then cover the top with yellow tissue from the kit. And then glue over that grey camouflage. And spray the plastic cowling either black or primer grey. And it is going to be what it is. I have a control line Stuka and a RC Skylane I'm hoping to have done before spring. And that does not even count the Spook, and Gulliver I was also hoping to have done before spring.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 3:22pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Dave,
If you haven't seen this link already you might find some helpful material on covering and doing the framework on the canopy.  I usually use strips of tissue to do the canopy framework.  Sometimes I cover the framework twice to make the framework less translucent. Click Here
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 7:22pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Dave, this link is to Terryman's FW190. He builds beautiful airplanes and has many tips by looking at his photo posts. I learned how to apply camouflaged tissue from him and it is easier than it sounds.

http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1435640304/45

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 10:05am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

The instructions say ( camoflauge is sandy brown and a gun metal grey. Entire lower surface below color line is pale blue). I kind of like this idea but I do not have a sandy brown in my bargain pack of tissue, only a dark brown. Attached is a picture of the box, and I know I don't want that color scheme. How do you do this dessert look in three colors of tissue? And even if I do succeed at it, then what do I do with the plastic cowl for coloring? My only solution to this one is, silkspan, dope and paint? To get the look descibed on the plans, which I seem to like, and the black decals will show up.

IP Logged

Mar 5th, 2017 at 9:54am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Have the Focke Wulf framed up. If it looks crooked, it's just mocked up for pictures. I have no clue how I am going to cover this one without paint. Most all the pictures online, are in black and white. And what color pictures I can find, is a scheme I cannot do in tissue.

100_0364.jpg (144 KB | )
100_0364.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print