Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Hangar 1080 - MKelly's Planes (Read 7687 times)
Reply #70 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 12:39am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Glad to see she made it back to the hanger, after watching the video it's easy to see she's a real flyer!  Congrats on a fantastic build and successful maiden flights!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #69 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 9:26pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Felt fired up and motivated after WestFAC.  Completed a quick two-week build of a sport model I've wanted to do since seeing it in Flying Models 25 years ago - Jim Longstreth's Windindicator Bostonian.  FAC Embryo rules are similar to Bostonian, and the Windindicator is Embryo-compliant, giving me the chance to fly in another event at FAC meets. 

Longstreth's designs have a quirky charm, and each of his articles had an entertaining fictional backstory for the airplane.

The build went together quick and came out clean and straight.  I printed a Canadian SAR scheme on some yellow tissue scavenged from a Herr Cub kit.  Very pleased with how this one looks, and even more pleased with how it flies - video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzhVmsinMM&feature=youtu.be

This is  the first non-scale rubber model I've built since I came back to the hobby.  It won't be the last...

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Oct 28th, 2019 at 8:25pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

I put together a video with some of the events at WestFAC - what a great time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ih2AIg1Olg

The carrier-launched jetcat event was a lot of fun, unfortunately I was so busy trying to get in flights that I neglected to film any of it!  Tom Arnold and Rich Adams coaxed some truly amazing flights out of their jetcats.  Hope this event is held again.

If you're anywhere near Phoenix AZ when the next WestFAC is held you really should go - great field, great weather and great people.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 11:26am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW...what a great squadron of catajets!!! Smiley I love em!

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 8:30pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Agreed - see below...

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 4:28pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Love these jets...be careful
Catajets are highly addictive!

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:30pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

More jetcats - F-111Bs adapted from the Estes/West Wings kit.  These will be flown in the Carrier-Launch Jetcat event at WestFAC in Phoenix AZ this fall.

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 3:52pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looks like great fun had by all... Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 3:30pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

That's some nice graphics Tom - especially the side view with the wing and tail graphics removed.  Will make for a tidy model.  I'm playing around with an F-111B jetcat at the moment and thinking about just painting them and drawing on the markings.  Don't want to get too dependent on the computer...

Flew the F-16 on Friday with my local FAC flying buddy (who also has one of Tony's F-16s).  Had a lot of fun experimenting with it - video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQhaFyAdBEI.  We about wore out the local barn swallows.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 12:31am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've been playing with Photoshop 7 to come up with a scheme for a Catajet F2H4 Banshee... I played with the side profile and cut and pasted the letters and numbers to get the orientation right once the profile was flipped from right to left.  Here's what I came up with....Will size them in the CAD program.

IP Logged

Reply #60 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 9:47pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Sky9pilot wrote on Aug 15th, 2019 at 10:43am:
Where do you find the layouts for your printed tissue?  Paper model kits etc.? Do you have a link?
Tom

I just search online for candidates that interest me - as an example for this one I searched "F-16 Tiger Meet Decals", then looked through the resulting images until I found something I liked and thought could be adapted to printed tissue.  From there I searched on that airframe and decal set to find the highest resolution and most comprehensive diagrams of the scheme, then copied those and imported them to Powerpoint to edit and size such that they fit the model.

There's a bazillion sites and images out there - the trick is finding something that shows top/bottom/left/right with sufficient resolution, color accuracy and clarity to look good at the scale of the model.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a good single go-to site for graphics - just have to go looking each time.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 10:43am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

These catajets are a lot of fun...even addicting if you're not careful!!!  Where do you find the layouts for your printed tissue?  Paper model kits etc.? Do you have a link?
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #58 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 8:33pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Squeezed in a jetcat build this week - 8" span F-16 from an unmarketed kit sent to me by Tony Ross.  Spectacular wood, very crisply cut on a craft cutter (the type used by scrapbookers to cut cardstock and vinyl decals).  Airframe weighed about 6g, but I dressed it up with printed tissue and came out balanced at 8.2g.  Test glides look promising, hope to put it on the catapult this Friday morning.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #57 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 4:49pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

As documented in the "Forgotten Projects" forum, I built the Earl Stahl 28" Spitfire from a partially-completed Rockytop kit given to me by a friend.  Added a few surface and cockpit details beyond what's on the plan and did the model in a tissue finish depicting Pilot Officer Richard Hardy's aircraft as flown out of RAF Middle Wallop during the Battle of Britain.  In August 1940 P/O Hardy's Spitfire Mk.1a was damaged in aerial combat, resulting in his forced landing at Cherbourg, France.  He was captured and survived the war as a POW.  The Germans repaired the aircraft and flew it until at least mid-1942 for evaluation against their fighters.

After a single trimming session I took the model to the 2019 FAC Non-Nats meet in Geneseo NY and flew it in FAC Rubber Scale and the Battle of Britain Mass Launch.  Given the limited trimming time I was quite pleased with the flights - video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJqAD4qcINU

Looking forward to flying it some more!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 8:51pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

I posted this in the How's It Flying board, but thought I'd include it in the hangar as well.  Went to the Spring Opener meet at Gainesville last weekend.  Rained out Saturday morning, but got some trimming in Saturday afternoon and some good competition on Sunday.  I put a 15g motor in the Wicko (2x31" loops 3/16" rubber), wound to 5.5 oz-in (~1400 turns) and got a 2:56 thermal flight.  Video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcU7P3Q2AB8

Non-thermal flights were about 70-80 seconds.  The model had no problems handing this 25% motor.  For the Hamilton meet next month I think I'll try a bit longer motor, maybe around 36", which should be about 30% of overall weight (~20g).  From the video I also think it would benefit from a bit less downthrust and a slight reduction in tail weight.

Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print