Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
Diels F7F Build - My First Twin (Read 34182 times)
Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:35pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Mike - how did the flying go ?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 5:34pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks LWM - it's kinda kludgy but it works.  I'm going to have to make a jig like NewBuilder has...

Progress continues slowly - still splitting time between this and the Little Gem, and took time to prep airplanes last night and fly this morning.

I've sanded in the notches and started laying in stringers on the nacelles.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:06am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Mike - that is a very nice jig setup  Smiley - I like the way you use masking tape to hold hold the nacelle top and bottom center keels flat to the top of the blocks, and at the same time holding the half formers up flat to the side of the blocks, in order for you to add the other side of the half formers ! Neato !  Smiley
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 9:55pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

I spent most of the last week covering the Little Gem - got back to work on the Tigercat this evening.

I had wet the side longerons, clamped the nacelle halves on the magnet board and left them for the last week - this took out about half of the bow in each nacelle.  Tonight I rigged up my usual set of blocks, taped the nacelle half flat and installed the right side formers.  Once this is dry I'll add the side longerons, then flip it vertical and add stringers in pairs starting with the bottom side.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 7:54am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Sky9pilot wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 3:37pm:
I've seen the peanut F7F plans and I like the looks of it.  I'm just usually disappointed after the build that they're just so small and a bit harder to trim.  I may have to build one as well.
Tom

Tom,
just blow up the peanut plan (about 195%) to the "scale" 1/24th (half inch to the foot) and add enough stringers to take up the open areas - or just do a "double p'nut @ 26inch span).

Bob,
I inquired about shipping about 8 years ago, and it was more than the kit cost back then (Shinden).  Freight costs have skyrocketed since then making just about anything shipped from the States simply prohibitive.  I have the Shinden plan, so that may be my only recourse for that one, but for the Kitty, there is only the Diel's.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 5:07pm

strat-o   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

That first image of "Big Bossman" is of a plane that used to be hangared in Galveston.  I took a lot of pictures of that plane (with real film) for documentation details when I built it out of foam using Diehl's plans for reference.

The Lone Star Flight Museum never flew it that I noticed, which was disappointing.  I did see it fly after it was sold a few years back.  It's still glossy black but has new nose art.

Edit: Take that back, it's still Big Bossman, just some minor tail number changes. The current owner is Lewis Air Legends of San Antonio.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 3:37pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've seen the peanut F7F plans and I like the looks of it.  I'm just usually disappointed after the build that they're just so small and a bit harder to trim.  I may have to build one as well.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 1:57pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Bob,  build the peanut scale F7F - you won't need much room for that!  Allen has one he got from Bob Isaacs - cute little kitty.

Tom,  the laminates were soaked in hot water for an hour or so before glue-up, dried in the forms for at least 12 hours, and sat out of the forms for several days before assembly.  They matched the plan before assembly - I suspect the formers don't exactly match the curve, so I ended up with a little spring in the assembly.  It's fixable...

Nice pics!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:50pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I know what you mean Bob...I've had the F7F on my To Do list for some time.  If I ever finish the MC-72 and the Bellanca TES I just might move on to finish the U-2 and then maybe the F7F.  Cheesy Grin Wink Cool

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:41pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, you've got to quit teasing me with all of these beautiful airplane photos. Cheesy My build list is long enough Cry

I WANT TO BUILD AN
F7F,
  Undecided but cant clean up enough work table to make room Shocked

Love the pics and the fun here, so keep em coming.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:35pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike,
You mentioned that the pieces you formed both opened up again.  My question is how long were they soaked before you clamped them in the forms?  I have a pvc pipe 2" diameter 36" long with caps on both ends.  I fill that with water and some household ammonia .  When I'm going to mold balsa I will soak the wood in this over night or a couple days.  Then pull it out and squeegy it between my fingers before wrapping around a former mold.  Then let it completely dry which is usually another over night with the space heater going to help dry it out if it's winter. I've not had much springing back after that.  Just a thought.

Found a couple pics of the F7F that you might enjoy.  Chino Planes of Fame birds.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 11:33am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Pete, how much is shipping to you?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 11:33am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Great link, lots of nice models on that Flicker site. John's F7F is coming along nicely - over on HipPocket he's indicated work has picked up so he hasn't been able to fly it yet, but it looks very good like all his builds.

The Tigercat and Shinden are both "indefinitely" out of stock on the Diels website.  He does still sell the plans and (I think) the canopies. I picked up my kits of the Tigercat and several other OOS Diels kits via ebay and swap meets - perhaps you can find one at a reasonable price+shipping that way.

Both nacelle halves bowed a bit when I pulled them up off the building board.  I've secured them flat on the magnet board and wetted the side longeron to see if I can straighten them out a bit before jigging them up to install the other halves and the stringers.  In the meantime, I'll go back to covering the Little Gem peanut.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:21am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Here is a link to John Ernst's F7f - also from Diel's:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157650138991745

This is one model that I would like to purchase, along with the "Shinden" from Diel's, but the shipping is just too much for me.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 7:28am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys - I hope to do this one justice.  Bob, you're going to get a bellyache...

Tom, that was a great video.  There is a Tigercat group on Facebook - there are some really great pics and videos of "Here Kittty, Kitty" and several other restored Tigercats there.  I've seen Tigercats in museums, but not flying (yet).  Going to have to start watching for performances here in Texas...

Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print