Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
BROKEN WING - Sig "CABINAIRE" 22" wingspan (Read 6503 times)
Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 5:23pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Couldn't sleep - got up before 5:00 am to take off all the bracing planks to see how the dihedral turned out - it turned out BAD !!   Tongue   Cry   Undecided   Sad  LOL    Will it still fly ? - but just not as well as with full equal dihedral ??

5365  - LONG VIEW - there is a big loss of dihedral in the left wing
5366  - SIDE VIEW -
5368  - FRONT VIEW - Here you see the loss of dihedral
5370  - FRONT VIEW - See it here better
5369  - LEFT VIEW -
5371  - REAR VIEW - See it better here too ...

The wing is actually very solid.  Open to suggestions ...  All I can think of is aligning the stab a little off from horizontal, to match the wingtip to wingtip dihedral, and keeping the fin/rudder perpendicular to the stab.  It should still fly, even though the fuse sides will not fly perpendicular to the ground, right?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 5:06pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

5372  - This was my balsa plate table jig setup
5363  - The big plate is   1/4"   X   12 1/2"   X   3 3/8"   with 
            two side planks of    1/4"   X    14 1/4"   X   3/4" ,  to
            make it wide enough to pin it all down.  It was
            covered with  wax paper.
5364  - SIDE VIEW of how the plane sat on the balsa jig plate.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 3:25pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the advise Tom.  I was looking all over for the crack.  Sad   Could not find it, but I put a lot of white glue in there.  I am not sheeting the bottom of the wing.  I wish I had thought about a jig to line up the dihedral from wing to wing, and maybe used a string to raise the outer tip of the right wing, to make the proper matching dihedral for the left broken wing.    Undecided   We will see how it turns out ...  Lips Sealed
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 11:55am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I suggest you find if anything has
really cracked
or you might have a much bigger repair next time out. 

I keep some thin Super Glue (Cyanoacrylic) for such cracks.  A small loop of wire in the end of a bamboo skewer dipped in the cyano and then reached into the fuselage to the cracked balsa.  Works wonders and helps to apply just a little cyano right where you want it.
Are you sheeting the bottom of the wing as you repair it?  That will definitely require lateral balancing as you get ready to trim for flight.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:20am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

5358    CLOSE UP PICS
5362     DRYING FOR THE NIGHT

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:17am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

5355     The Outer Panel was then removed, and all the mating
            surfaces were "double white glued".  The Outer Panel
            was then slid into place, blocked up and pinned up,
            now waiting for the glue to dry,

By the way - DISASTER !!!   Cry Sad  I mistakenly did what I was trying not to do - I nudged the rear of the fuse sitting out in midair, heard a "crack", and the wing under repair was now "wobbly" - but I glued it up anyway hoping for the best ... Huh   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:08am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

TOP VIEW     Outer panel is test fitted, and Spar stringers are   
                   now cut to length.
LONG VIEW

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:05am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

5348     LONG VIEW  - See how I made the Spar stringers extra
            long.    
5349     TOP VIEW
5350     SIDE VIEW

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 7:47pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

LWM,

Your repair will be solid and will work fine - it just adds a little weight.  You may want to consider checking lateral balance once you get things re-covered.  When you fly it after the repair, watch for any unwanted turn towards the heavy wing.  If necessary you can add weight to the opposite wingtip, but I'd only do that if you need to correct an unwanted turn - if it flies well just let it be.

FWIW, I did put a doubler on the back side of the leading edge when I repaired the Tempest, but that was because I'd cut out recesses for the cannon ports, and the LE broke at one of those recesses.  Since the repair required re-covering the underside of both wing panels I put a matching doubler on the other side, and have not had it break in any of the (many) cartwheeling landings since.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 7:08pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Mike ! - that's what I should have done in the first place   Huh   - I have it all glued up now with extra weight ....  Undecided  we will see tomorrow.  And here I am posting the repair like I know what i am doing ...   Embarrassed  I'll post a couple of pics of it drying later on tonight.
Thanks for your pics!

LWM

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:05pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

LWM,

It's not necessary to double up the spars for the repair - that adds weight.

Instead, splice the spars together across the nearest convenient joint - for example where they cross a rib.  See pics below from the Tempest repair - note how the spars are sliced at an angle across the rib.  Slice the new section of spar at the same angle, trial fit, then glue it in.

This repair is just as strong as the original spar, and the only weight added is a little bit more glue than in the original wing.  It has held up well for me on the Tempest.

Hope this helps,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:50pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

5334  - Top view of the Highlighted Plan beside the plane.

5335  - Closeup of the highlighted plan copy.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:47pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

5318 & 5326  - The outer Wing Panel was removed from the building board, after all of the stringers were dried

5336  - Underside view of Outer Wing Panel with Spar stringers attached.

5319  - View of Outer Panel leaning on the plane.

5320  - Now we are ready to size the Spar stringers to the correct length.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:39pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Then I slid out the Spar stringers, double white glued all of the mating surfaces, and then slid them back into position to glue up and dry thoroughly overnight.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:35pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Then I slid the Spar stringers in and through the notches and into position.  I then further blocked them allup with more small bracing planks etc., nice and snug but not too tight a fit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print