Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
BROKEN WING - Sig "CABINAIRE" 22" wingspan (Read 6271 times)
Reply #49 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 2:05pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Everything looked good with my "fandangled" setup of elastics everywhere. I checked it out seven minutes later, and to my shock  Shocked  and HORROR and AGONY, ... , I saw that the elastics had pulled the LE of the wing outer panel out of position forward by about 3/16" !!!! OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!   Embarrassed   Cry 
     I could not push the LE back into position (not even with a 1/2" sq length of balsa used to push on the LE evenly), so I whipped off the elastics, and still could not move it because the glue had started to set.   I then desperately started painting water onto the glue seam with a 1/8" brush and letting it soak in a bit before repeats.  After several minutes, the glue ACTUALLY LOOSENED,  Roll Eyes   Cool  , and I was able to push the LE and wing panel back into position, and I reconnected everything, and let it dry as I watched it more carefully.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #48 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:48pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I did not use location pins to attach the wing, and I did not cover the wing with tissue, because I wanted to have an open framework on the wing root, in order to use elastics to pull in the wing ribs flush to the center section rib while gluing.
     I double white glued the whole rib flat and flush to the wing center section rib, and incorporated a "mishmash" of round head pins and elastics, and balsa holding post blocks (more tissue damage from the snapping elastics and flying balsa blocks), to pull the ends of the ribs in flush, while the glue set.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #47 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:41pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

This has been a long time coming ... the big problem  was cutting off the wing at an angle and trying to get the wing panel "root rib" to fit flush to the center wing root rib.
      I made a template (eyed up basically) out of file folder cardboard, to match the center section root rib with the dihedral of the white foam board jig.  I then, as Sky9 suggested, sanded the wing panel root rib flat (the center section root rib was flat when I put a flat edge on it), sanded the wing panel root rib flat to the template, at the edge of the table, and it now fitted very flush to the center section root rib, and with the proper incidence, because it was located on, and sat at the base, on top of the window frame - it looked good visually.

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 7:21am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thanks Tom !!   Smiley  Your suggestion is the answer - straight edges reveal flatness on the wing center section rib, but NOT the wing outer panel root rib.  I will sand the wing panel root rib flat at the edge of a table while holding the wing up at proper dihedral like you said.  Smiley Wink
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #45 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 9:34pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Have you used a straight edge on the fuselage section to see if the root rib is straight?  Might need some sanding on the root/fuselage rib. 

Sometimes the edge of a table can be use with the wing panel tip lifted to proper dihedral angle.  Then a sanding block along the table edge will flatten the length of the rib.

I would suggest that instead of adding more and more balsa on the root rib of the panel.  Sometimes less is more!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:51pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

5530     Closeup pic of the "fill-in" Rib which is now glued to the wing panel root rib.

5531     I then test fitted the outer wing panel, with the "fill-in" root Rib glued in place, to the center wing section root rib, to check for a "flush" fit.

5532     Close up of the test fit. It seems pretty flush in the middle part.

5533     Another close up view =  STUMBLING BLOCK !    Shocked  - of the Flush (?) fit - there are still small gaps at the front end of the rib, and the rear end of the rib.  Maybe more sanding is needed, or maybe add a sliver of balsa to the front and rear of the "fill-in Rib" ...   Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:11am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I have been flying a lot the last few days every chance I get, and this is where I left off. 

5508     I made two temporary jigs, to check the dihedral for both wings, out of white foam display board, 3/16 X 30 X 20, from Dollarama.

GAP BETWEEN BLUE CENTER SECTION AND WING PANEL ROOT RIB     I aligned the broken wing outer panel to the center section wing root, with the inner wing root rib sitting on the "mounting ledge" of the cabin window frame.  There was an acute angle triangular gap space   Sad   between the root rib of the wing panel, and the root rib of the center wing section - STUMBLING BLOCK   Lips Sealed 

5514     I made a new "fill-in" rib, in order to try to fill in this gap space "flush", and sanded it down to a thin acute angle, test fitted it, into the gap space

5511     I test fitted this "fill-in" rib into the gap space

IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 2:56pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

THANKS STAUBKORB - that makes sense !!!

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:04pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Make up two templates - one at the root rib (about 18th" from the fuselage) and one at the last rib from the tip - using the intact side.  Make from scrap whatever, but they MUST be accurate (table top to bottom of wing) and preferably free-standing or joined together (my preference), with a "key" at the trailing edge.  Remember to "swap" ends if you decide to make it a single fixture...

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 9:51am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

So far ... all braced and blocked up good and solid and with elastics .... next a jig to hold the wing in postion ?

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 7:16am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

This is as far as I got with a jig setup.  Still trying to figure out all of the rest.  The wing root rib does not match up evenly with the wing center section outer rib (which was sliced on an angle) when I cut off the wing.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 6:43am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

I use a hot glue gun to assemble foam board jigs - holds well and sets up quickly.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:09am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

For me I'd build a jig for the panel to be mounted in the upright position.  (Inverted position would be hard to visually check as I think on it)

I'd get me some foam board from the Dollar Store to build the jig from.  Something that will hold the fuselage straight and brace the opposite wing so it won't want to droop out of alignment while the new panel is glued into place. 

I wouldn't use epoxy glue unless you used something like 5 minute and a very thin application at that. 

With the clear cockpit ceiling on the fuselage I'd eliminate the use of Cyano glue...too easy to fog that beautiful canopy work.  So that leaves your white glue or Duco.  The Duco would dry faster than the white glue. 

I'll give the jig some more thought and see if I can come up with some kind of picture that will illustrate what I'm thinking of!

Please understand that this is a very quick and dirty drawing just to give an idea. Embarrassed Undecided Wink
I would also add some kind of bracing infront of the wing to hold the fuselage steady there as well.  Some might cut the fuselage jig from one sheet that would cross under the fuselage and have the dihedral angle cut so that both wing panels are held tight to the jig using rubber bands to clip over the wing and hold to the jig with pins or bamboo skewers through the foamboard jigs.  To give the dihedral jig a proper incidence you need to experiment with an additional dihedral jig behind the first  that holds the wing panel at the proper incidence. 

As far as gluing the wing together light application of glue to both joint areas and let them get tacky before joining them together.  For the jig Aleene's Tacky Glue would work well.  Takes a while to dry but works well with foamboard.

pictures of two possible jig setups.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:26pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thanks Sky9pilot - now I need suggestions as to how to actually mount the wing and brace it up ... upside down? use 5 min epoxy?  tooth pic mounting pegs ? cut out a dihedral template or something ? ... Any and all suggestions are welcome!   Smiley
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 6:55pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking good.  Keep up the great work. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print