Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 11:02am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

5645     My little "Gypsy" - 18" Dumas AIR CAMPER - is now
           fully repaired   Smiley   

5644     I grabbed the Stooge, backpack, Trapper, and the
            plane, and we went flying this morning.  I got the best closeup shot yet, as she gracefully and smoothly spun by !!  Smiley   Cheesy   Grin  .  You can see the small green strips of masking tape  I use to hold the removable nose block in place (the rubber is a little longer than the fuse).

LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:45pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

It was tricky to align these bracing doublers even with the cabane struts. The trick I used, was to slip a "positioning backing plank" of 1/16" X 3/8" through the elastics and right in behind the bracing doublers.  I white glued up the bracing doublers and their mating surfaces, mounted them into position, and then slid the positioning plank out, leaving the bracing doublers to dry in position.

5635     RIGHT SIDE BRACING COUBLER IS GLUED IN PLACE BESIDE THE "POSITIONING BRACING PLANK" - (BEFORE PULLING OUT THE BRACING PLANK)

5636     ANOTHER VIEW OF ABOVE

5637     THE LEFT SIDE BRACING DOUBLER HAS BEEN GLUED IN PLACE, AND THE POSITIONING BRACING PLANK HAS BEEN SLID OUT, SO THAT THE BRACING DOUBLER CAN NOW DRY ...

5638     ANOTHER VIEW OF ABOVE

I should be
FLYING TOMORROW !!!    Smiley   Cheesy

Grin
Cheesy

LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:37pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I then made two extra 1/8" X 1/16" "bracing doublers" to be installed between the vertical cabane struts where they attach to the wing, and to attach longways to the wing also.  I sanded the balsa of the crossbars between the cabane strut uprights (which luckily, were sitting a little "proud"), that were embedded into the wing, clean down to the blasa, on the wing between the cabane strut uprights, and I plan to use double white gluing for these "bracing doublers".

5630     CLOSEUP OF LEFT AND RIGHT "BRACING DOUBLERS"

5631     ANOTHER VIEW

5632     BRACING DOUBLER IN POSITION.  "POSITIONING BRACING PLANK" IS SITTING BEHIND THE BRACING DOUBLER, AFTER SLIDING THE POSITIONING BRACING PLANK THROUGH THE ELASTICS

5633     SIDE VIEW OF ABOVE

5634     ANOTHER VIEW

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:30pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Well ... I decided to start the repairs.  I used Sky9's elastic trick again (very HANDY to use elastics I have found out ...), to pull the wing down toward the fuse, to butt up as close as possible, the top of the broken front cabane struts, to the underside of the wing where they broke off.  I then also centered the lifting struts to their attach points on the fuse where they broke off.  Then I used 5 min epoxy, applied with a small brush, and gobbed it on around all four strut attach points on the fuse.  Then I painted on some more 5 min epoxy to all four of the upper cabane strut attachments where they met the wing. 

5626     ELASTICS, WING FLYING STRUTS ARE HEAVILY EPOXIED TO THE FUSE

5627     REAR VIEW OF ABOVE

5628      SIDE VIEW OF ABOVE

5629       UNDERWING VIEW - CABANE STRUTS ARE ALSO EPOXIED  AT ATTACH POINTS TO WING

IP Logged

Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:03am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

18" Dumas "AIR CAMPER"
     I finally smashed it up   Cry   - pics 5606 and 5607 -  broken forward Cabane struts are cracked off at the wing, and 3 out of 4 outer struts are broken off at the fuse.     I had a lot of fun flying this high wing parasol plane - many great flights     Smiley  - broke the rubber many times trying to put in too many winds into that little fuse.  Lips Sealed
      It seems I was always, every time I walked "Trapper", always grabbing the Winding Stooge and packing up the backpack and grabbing the little "Gypsy"    Wink

"AIR CAMPER" pic is before the crash
5506 and 5607 pics are after the crash

LWM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print