Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 
Send Topic Print
Cookup Peanut or dime Scale 2017.11. 23-2018.2.28 (Read 90582 times)
Reply #35 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 9:00am

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Richard,
Which scheme are you going with on your DVII?

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 1:48am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Fokker D7

D7_C.jpg (70 KB | )
D7_C.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 6:16pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

pb_guy wrote on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 5:02pm:
Good new Brad! Congrats on getting the information. It isn't likely that anyone else will have that material on which to base their designs.
ian

Ditto what Ian said...I've been working on something in CAD for the Hot Stuff from pictures.  It's a very intriguing design.  Too bad she had the runway incident!

tbolt...those are two great choices, let us know when you decide on just which one you're going to build.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 6:05pm

tbolt   Offline

Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Haven't decided yet what to build.I'm leaning towards the Art Chester Racer, but the dime scale DVII is always appealing especially since I have the Bill Hannon plan from the Flying Models Magazine from years back

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 5:02pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Good new Brad! Congrats on getting the information. It isn't likely that anyone else will have that material on which to base their designs.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 3:48pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Mike - I like your idea of going peanut.  I'm going to have to decide once I start drafting what my final size will be.  This is a very thin, sleek plane and going peanut might be just too small.  I might even remove this plane from this cook up completely.

I do have great news!!  Smiley

I was doing the standard hacking/intell gathering on the Hot Stuff racer when I managed to contact the pilot!! Thom Richard (he also pilots Precious Metal).  I explained I wanted to model the Hot Stuff plane, sent a photo of my Sorceress racer, and asked nicely it he had a 3-view drawing he would be willing to share.  He replied yes and sent me a 3-view pdf and 4 high res CAD renderings!!! with the request that these are for private use only.

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 11:45pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

UPDATE ON MODELS FOR 2017-2018 WINTER COOKUP...
Tom/Sky9pilot - F6F Neo-Dime Scale FAC Newsletter plan
Ian/PB_Guy -  Peerless Fokker D-VIII
Dave Q - Boeing P-26 Peashooter
Craig 3 - Curtiss P6E  Dimer
Richard/LastWoodsman - Fokker D-VII Comet/Easy Built Dime Scale
Mike/NewBuilder - Brewster F2A-2 "Buffalo" peanut/Diels
Bob/Bigrip74 - Comet Vultee Attack & Comet Ryan Cabin
Neal/Kerak - Comet  Farman Stratoplane (Farman F.1000)
Brad - Possible Pseudo- Dime Scale
tbolt - still deciding between two models Art Chester Racer,or the Bill Hannon dime scale DVII
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2017 at 1:11pm by bigrip74 »  

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 11:31pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I'd like to join in...with a Comet Models Farman Stratoplane (Farman F.1000).  Has a 16"ws, so no confusion there...and even shows under-camber on the plans...though no sure if I want to go that way.

AC was one of a kind...an attempt at world altitude record during the early 30's.  Seems the F.1000 was a test bed, reaching a mere 16,000'...then modified into a parasol version, the F.1001...which proved fatal for the pilot...although it did attain an altitude of 32,000'.  Crash was due to a window bursting...rapid decompression...oops.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 8:41pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Brad,

Build it as peanut scale and you can ignore the dime scale rules.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 6:35pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Brad,
As PB said...go for it and add the formers.  If you're wondering about those Dime Scale plans...check out the Comet Dime scale plans on this site: Click Here  Check out the Spitfire under my first post.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 6:22pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Yeah, I agree with Tom. As long as you make the basic fuselage as a standard stick structure (no keel and formers), you can add the rounded former parts top and bottom and sides for the curvy bits. You could use the "simple build" as a test run for a more complete build at a later time.
ian

PS. and my pick is the D8 (DVIII), not the DVII (I've built a couple of the Comet peanut DVII's and still have the original plans)

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 6:13pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Brad,
Go for it!!! The rules are vague at times but it's the following:
Dimers are built from contemporary designs that honor the methods, structural simplicity, and details typical of those early plans.
VII-1.0 BASIC RULES
A. Dime Scale models are to be of simple design and easy construction such as those built from 10 cent kits or plans

Which typically had flat sides and the flat bottom.  You'll notice the Hellcat I'm building deviates from those rules with the formers on the box fuselage inner structure and behind the wing trailing edge. 

I did a bit of Googling and saw the takeoff crash when Hot Stuff had an engine failure and was struck from behind by another Formula 1 plan that was given the flag to take off even though Hot Stuff was still on the runway.  Click Here

I hope you give it a shot...she'll be a Neo/Pseudo Dime scale!!!  I just might give it a shot in the CAD program just to see how it might work.  She's a mini streamlined F4U with the inverted gull wing!

The FAC newsletter that I got the plan from had a lengthly discussion re: Dime Scale and Pseudo-Dime Scale.  I'll copy them and post tomorrow time permitting.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 5:33pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Tom:  well stated.

I'm still considering the Hot Stuff build.

Question:  Where do the rules state that the fuselage has flat side and bottom?  I assume I'm missing something.  I only see that the build is based on a standard box construction and that you can use formers and I assume stringers?  This is the only way I know how to build  Smiley

I'll most likely proceed with trying to create some plans - it very well may die there  Angry

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 4:40pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Well, Tom - you made me read the rules more ... I see the different criteria now.  The
IRON ONE
says
"JA - GUT !!"

LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 3:56pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Brad,
I think if you followed the rules and posted the plans here, that would qualify for the Neo/Pseudo Dime Scale requirements.  But I'm thinking you'd want those smooth lines and not flat sides to the fuselage and squared off bottom behind the wing trailing edge.  So this one might be better in the regular current rubber powered construction board.  I do like the looks of this bird and all those curves will be a challenge to build and then to cover!

Guys, I don't make the rules...but if we call it a Peanut/Pistaschio/Dime Scale/Pseudo-Dime Scale Cookup, we probably ought to follow the rules of that model description! 

Otherwise we're just making sport models of our own choosing and that's not quite what we voted for.   

Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 
Send Topic Print