Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
18" AIR CAMPER Flight Report Nov 1 2017 (Read 1120 times)
Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 9:56pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

How's it going Yardman Jeff ?   I know this is a long time coming, but I would like to thank you for your kind congratulations on my breaking that one minute mark which really is a milestone.    Smiley   It did take a lot of work and crashes and repairs and a lot of pictures and a lot of posting.   Undecided   Thanks for watching and thanks for your encouragement and for your support.    Cheesy    I hope you break the one minute mark this season soon yourself.  I will be watching and waiting to congratulate you too ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:35pm

Yardman Jeff   Offline
I feel like a kid again
SW corner of upstate NY

I take it he is a good bird dog.  Smiley

Bella is 10. She's half Beagle and half "go home silly black dog". Kept two from that last litter of pups. Her larger brother, Gunner, disappeared two years ago. Their Beagle mom, Lilly, passed in the spring of 2016 almost one year to the day after her mother, Blueberry.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 12:23pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Well Jeff - if you have a real fox fur hat with head and tail, it beats my beaver fur hat!  Smiley Yeah - old "Trapper" is 7 now and says hello to your pooch too.  I gave Trapper a feathered pheasant wing out of the freezer to chew on the first day I got him as a 10 wk old pup - that smell is ingrained into his nose now ... Wink
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 9:13am

Yardman Jeff   Offline
I feel like a kid again
SW corner of upstate NY

I forgot to compliment you on your choice of clothing, you'd fit right in here as one of the local woodland dwellers. My knee high Lacrosse rubber boots are treasured, well worn and entering that phase of their lifespan were I've repaired them a couple times. When then are finally about toast, I'll cut them off at a height slightly above the ankle and make water proof loafers out of them like I have past pairs. They work great for morning dew duties and muddy walks along a creek bed.

Grin I have a "mad bomber" trapper hat and a fox hat with head and tail. Have to hide the fox hat from my tom cat or he goes crazy hissing at it and then plans an attack. His behavior is my fault because I used the fox hat as a toy when he was a kitten. Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 6:39am

Yardman Jeff   Offline
I feel like a kid again
SW corner of upstate NY

Wooo Hooo !!!   Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Congrats on the record breaking flight and the well timed digital picture taking. I just love it when my stick and sheet Strato-Streak makes circular slow patters and I don't need to chase after it. You kept her out of those trees too!

Tell your old dog that my old dog says hello

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 2:11pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Then I
finally
broke that
one minute mark
of flight time on the 6th flight , with a
62 second flight
, 1020 turns on the rubber, with two never ending, lazy, floating circles.  I could tell that I was at the breaking point of the rubber with that many turns.
     The 7th flight was only 35 sec on 900 turns, and the 8th flight was only 25 sec on 900 turns.  It seemed that the rubber was fading in strength and getting weaker, probably because it was getting colder and colder. 
     But I do believe, that the colder, thicker air, made it possible for the prop to cut more air, and give me a 62 sec flight.
     The speckling rain was picking up, and not evaporating off of the tissue as fast, so it was time to leave.  When I got home at 11:18 AM, the temp was 43 deg F (feels like39 deg F), wind out of the South at 6 mph, gusting to 9 mph and 65% humidity.
      Now it is time to try an
even bigger motor
- two strands of 15"   1/8" rubber, lubed and broken in.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 1:53pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I had 8 flights this AM.  The camera pics are not the best, probably because of the minute rain particles.  I was using the big stretched and lubed motor - two strands of  12"  each of   1/8"  rubber, prop hook to rear motor peg is 6.5"  .
     I was careful not to over wind the rubber on the 1st flight - got 26 seconds on 40 cranks of my 15:1 Winder (600 turns of the rubber).  The 2nd flight was a bad launch.  The 3rd flight was 40 sec on 825 turns.  Things were starting to look good !!   The 4rth flight was 52 sec on 945 turns.
     The 5th flight was a
new record  57 sec
on 945 turns !!

IP Logged

Nov 1st, 2017 at 1:18pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I finally broke that
elusive
one minute mark of flight ! 
WOOO HOOOOO
HEEE HAWWWWW
Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy
     It was a dull, cold, and dreary morning.  I got up and I was determined to fly anyway, thanks to Yardman Jeff's inspiration.  So I ran the dog, and there was no dew on the ground.  I then came back, got things ready, and bundled back up - 39 deg F (feels like 36 deg F), wind from the South at 4 mph, gusting to 7 mph, and 75% humidity.  I needed good winter rubber boots, long underwear, Vietnam pants, and 4 layers on top, including the big red wool checkered plaid Lumberjack coat, winter gloves, and a Trapper's hat - and I headed out to the Cricket Wicket with the stooge, Trapper, and the 18" Dumas "Air Camper", at 10:09 AM.
     Lo and behold, there was
no
wrinkling and sagging of the tissue at this high humidity and low temperature.  The weather network said that there was rain ongoing, but there was only this fine, spitting, sparsely peppering, drizzle, that was evaporating right away ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print