Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Guillows PBY-5A Catalina display. (Read 7416 times)
Reply #16 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 4:26pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Dave Q - here are some pics of an eye-catching Catalina color scheme I snipped out of a video.  Hope you don't mind, the pics are not that sharp ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 2:57pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've seen them before but that's one of the nicest paint schemes.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 11:44am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Some PBY's were rebuilt with smaller outboard A/C engines. I believe this was to increase lift to get them off the water faster.
Here is a pic of one.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 11:42am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Sky9pilot wrote on Dec 22nd, 2017 at 11:31am:
Looking for color schemes for aircraft, I usually check out Wings Palette: Click Here for Catalinas
Tom

Thanks for the tip Tom.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 11:31am

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking for color schemes for aircraft, I usually check out Wings Palette: Click Here for Catalinas
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 10:48am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

They said the Catalina was outdated, and nearing its end, before it entered the war. I never understood why they said that. After reading this, I guess I see one reason now. I enjoyed the heck out of reading this. Just try to imagine those moments of living thru this in that nose turret. Look for the highlighted areas in the attached.

page_1.jpg (196 KB | )
page_1.jpg
page_2.jpg (263 KB | )
page_2.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 10:24am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL. Thought I would throw up a quick picture. Got the wing together. Hopefully over the Holidays I can get some more done. Came up with this idea of a plug in gear. The start of them lay next to the box. So I can work on the fuselage, cover it, paint it, and lastly glue the gear in place. I think I am going to also cut somewhat of a nose wheel well into it, that the plans do not show. Not full depth so the wheel could fit, maybe like just 3/8" deep. To give the illusion of a well, and something I could get some zinc chromate up inside. For a little added detail. I am also thinking of creating the wells where the float mechanism would fold up into. The floats are just going to be glued down, but it would also give me a place to put some zinc chromate up into. I would love to do a black cat, but I'm worried about it just looking ugly. I am pretty sure I am going to do the 2 tone grey color scheme. So I am looking for opportunities to add some color.

100_0568.JPG (286 KB | )
100_0568.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 6:05pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I believe it's because that's the way they were mounted on the real/full size aircraft for the reason you stated.  Incase of "engine out" control of the aircraft!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 4:20pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Skye, Thank you for your efforts, I truly appreciate it.

I decided to fix this problem today, of life/work, getting in the way of important things in life (building the Cat). So, I left work early. I am starting the wing, and knew of this issue. The plans tell you to mount the engines on an angle. The only reason I could imagine to do this, is for torque, if you were going to try to fly it. But the box cover says (display), and I could swear I remember reading, (this model is not intended to fly). Does anyone have any thoughts why they tell you to mount the nacelles on an angle?

nacelle_1.jpg (256 KB | )
nacelle_1.jpg
nacelle_2.jpg (84 KB | )
nacelle_2.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 3:05pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Dave,
Negatives were retrieved from storage and will be  converted into digital format.  Should be ready within the next few days.  Its been well over 30 years since I took the photos, but I can still remember being inside the Catalina.  Just one of those "Life's Moments." 
  Skye

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 4:33am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Skye, thanks a million for these cutaway's. How the old school draftsman with a pencil and drawing table did this kind of work, is just beyond my comprehension. I would love to know how many hours were spent doing this. Yes, I will PM you my e mail, I would be interested in anything you would be willing to send my way. I just received 4 more books I bought from E Bay, no, I don't have them all read yet. Sorry about the delay in the build. Life has a way of getting in the road of what is important (building airplanes). Hopefully when the New Year gets here, and there is 3' of rock outside, things will quiet down. I have been able to get a little more done on the Carl Goldberg Skylane, and have together a little bit of a plan to continue at this time. Dave

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2017 at 4:33pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Dave:  Hope these series of cutaway drawings will help serve as further inspiration and for any details you wish to add.  She's truly a beautiful aircraft and one that has garnered lots of respect and admiration from aviation enthusiasts all over.
Also have some detailed photos of the actual plane itself, if you're interested.   Skye

PBY___1.jpg (266 KB | )
PBY___1.jpg
PBY___2.jpg (195 KB | )
PBY___2.jpg
PBY___3.jpg (277 KB | )
PBY___3.jpg
PBY___4.jpg (335 KB | )
PBY___4.jpg
PBY___5.jpg (258 KB | )
PBY___5.jpg
PBY___6.jpg (334 KB | )
PBY___6.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 7:45pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Craig,
I just started reading book #3, and look what I found. Scroll to find highlighted areas. I'll keep my eyes open for Pearl Harbor facts. This 3rd book is about all theaters that the PBY was involved in. Just bought my 4th book on E bay today.
Dave.

pg1_rev.pdf (352 KB | )
pg2_rev.pdf (323 KB | )
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 7:41pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Seems Dave & Craig have a lot of memories to go with this fantastic build.  Looking forward to seeing it develop.  I've only seen the results of the build from Guillow's site.  Really a beautiful plane all around.  Skye

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:20pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

I'm looking forward to this build, too. This is my Uncle, Lt. Grey Gallaher. He drove Catalinas in the Pacific Theater for the duration- including ditching one inverted at Pearl!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print