Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motor stick, for winding outside the model?? (Read 844 times)
Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 5:29pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Like such...
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2018 at 7:31pm by Craig 3 »  

IMG_0918.JPG (124 KB | )
IMG_0918.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG (131 KB | )
IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0921.JPG (89 KB | )
IMG_0921.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 5:26pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Nearly all the old Cleveland plans I've been building are set up for a motor stick. Typically, a 1/2" X 1/4" balsa stick (on the 1/16 scale models) that plugs into the nose block, above the thrust line, indexed into notches in every other former, and terminates at the rear with a wire motor hook on the thrust line. They're pinned in with a dowel pretty much along the lines of a rear motor peg. The plans below show the stick, and the formers with the notches. Seems a good idea- heavy appearing, but the Cleveland models had stringers for keels so the weight was somewhat offset.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2018 at 12:35pm by Craig 3 »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 7:35am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Hi Ed - I have been looking through my copies of Model Airplane News from the 30s and 40s and couldn't find anything in any of them either but I do seem to remember, in the dim recesses, something printed about this but can't contribute much beyond that but I'll keep it in mind, in the more forward recesses.
New Builder
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Jan 25th, 2018 at 8:02am

Ed OBrien   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Manchester, CT

Some years ago FM had an article on constructing and using a "motor stick" which allowed the rubber motor to be wound outside of the model without a blast tube. I thought I had saved that article but I cannot find it. Anyone have a copy of the article that can be posted?

Cheers,
EdO

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print